Turned Down by Demand Studios

Status
Not open for further replies.

WildScribe

Slave to the Wordcount
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
I'm really surprised that no one has mention that they don't technically accept reapplications. I know someone who was 'let go' despite a stellar record because they found out somehow that she had been rejected and reapplied.

E. S. Lark

Editing all the time
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, the titles are sort of out there. It takes me sometime to find something that makes enough sense to actually write it. Some ask odd questions that have nothing to do with the item in mind. This is where the 'hide' feature comes in handy.

Got my first article accepted this weekend, waiting on another and trying to plan my third.

joyce

I'm really shy...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thoughtsfromthecave.blogspot.com
I'm really surprised that no one has mention that they don't technically accept reapplications. I know someone who was 'let go' despite a stellar record because they found out somehow that she had been rejected and reapplied.

Well, you aren't making me feel warm and cozy this morning, Wild.:D That really sucks about your friend.

MichaelMJones

Registered
Reaction score
Well drat. I took a stab at applying to Demand Studios, figuring that 10 years worth of writing fiction and non-fiction for online and magazines would qualify me for something like that. Unfortunately, I supplied a real writing sample, an actual article I'd put together, instead of a how-to guide. (I didn't see the threats on here until after I'd applied.)

And their reply:
"Thank you for submitting your writer application to Demand Media. After careful review of your resume and writing sample, we are unable to offer you writing assignments at this time.

Due to the increased interest in freelancing positions at Demand Media, the approval process has become quite competitive, and we have had to turn down many high-quality applicants.

We sincerely thank you for your interest."

Sigh.

jana13k

Yep. I can.
Registered
Reaction score
Did she say so in the DS forums? Is so, that's death. The forums have a couple of people who live to tattle because they want attention from "daddy ds" so bad it's pathetic. You have to watch some of them. There was a guy saying he had reapplied a month or so ago and he's been around for a while. One of the tattletales was in that thread and now I don't see the guy any more. Some people have no problem letting families starve or go without rent money because no one should ever break the rules. Like reapplying for work is somehow a threat to society.

joyce

I'm really shy...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Did she say so in the DS forums? Is so, that's death. The forums have a couple of people who live to tattle because they want attention from "daddy ds" so bad it's pathetic. You have to watch some of them. There was a guy saying he had reapplied a month or so ago and he's been around for a while. One of the tattletales was in that thread and now I don't see the guy any more. Some people have no problem letting families starve or go without rent money because no one should ever break the rules. Like reapplying for work is somehow a threat to society.

I usually don't post over there unless I need to ask a question. I have noticed a few regulars who are always sounding like the DS suck ups. It seems the second someone opens a vent thread, these certain few are there to scold them and make the person feel bad. I feel sorry for some people who have an article rejected, a nasty note from a CE and they go to the forums for clarification. These few suck ups are always there to make them feel worse. I'd never mention anything personal in those forums.

Jeanette

American Novelista
Registered
Reaction score
I just applied to be a writer back on Wednesday. How long did it take you guys to hear from Demand -- acceptance or rejection?

joyce

I'm really shy...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
I applied three years ago and I heard back in about a week. I don't know if it's taking longer now days though. I think I've heard where some people heard back in a few weeks. Good luck and I hope they accept you.

rhymegirl

It's a New Year!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, the titles are sort of out there. It takes me sometime to find something that makes enough sense to actually write it. Some ask odd questions that have nothing to do with the item in mind. This is where the 'hide' feature comes in handy.

The titles are definitely "out there."

I've gone through pages of them and I don't know how to do any of the things you're supposed to write about.

Even the Arts and entertainment category. It's not looking promising.

joyce

I'm really shy...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
The titles are definitely "out there."

I've gone through pages of them and I don't know how to do any of the things you're supposed to write about.

Even the Arts and entertainment category. It's not looking promising.

Even after three years, I'm still not quite sure how the title thing works over there. How long have you been a part of the wonderful DS? :D I think as you are there longer and get accepted to different sites, like eHow Home & Garden or Trails, the more titles you are able to see. You have to write to the power of DS and ask to be accepted though.

From what I read in the forums, everyone seems to see a different number of titles that are available on the bottom of their work desk screen. I notice I can see more than some.

When I first started over there I had the weirdest titles to choose from. I'll never forget my first one "How to Spice a Fiber Optic Cable." Well, let me tell you, I didn't know one dang thing about fiber optic cables, but I researched and somehow the article went through with flying colors.

My second article was "How to Replace Your Toilet Seat" and I figured I could handle that one easier than the first. Once I got through my first 20 or 30 "stupid as shit" articles, better ones seemed to pop up.

Yes, I will admit. There are some of the craziest titles over there. What's even funnier to me is the fact the titles are based on what people on the internet are searching for. Some strange people out there in web land.

rhymegirl

It's a New Year!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Even after three years, I'm still not quite sure how the title thing works over there. How long have you been a part of the wonderful DS?

When I first started over there I had the weirdest titles to choose from. I'll never forget my first one "How to Spice a Fiber Optic Cable." Well, let me tell you, I didn't know one dang thing about fiber optic cables, but I researched and somehow the article went through with flying colors.

My second article was "How to Replace Your Toilet Seat" and I figured I could handle that one easier than the first. Once I got through my first 20 or 30 "stupid as shit" articles, better ones seemed to pop up.

Yes, I will admit. There are some of the craziest titles over there. What's even funnier to me is the fact the titles are based on what people on the internet are searching for. Some strange people out there in web land.

See the thing is I'm just starting. I haven't written anything yet. And the irony is the DS people say that we should "write what we know about." Well, that's impossible if I don't know about ANY of the topics.

I realize I'm going to have to research one of the topics and learn about it first before I can explain the "how to" to the readers. I just never thought the titles would be so bizarre.

I saw the "weddings" category and thought that would be great, but when I clicked on it, there were none available.

I finally picked something in the legal/law clerk category, something like that, because I think I could handle that.

juniper

Always curious.
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
I write there very part-time, only as a lark really. Just coffee money now and then. If they ever cull based on number of titles written, I'll be cut off. It's either too boring or too time-consuming (I get caught up in the research if it's something I like) for me to do it seriously.

Don't look in the categories - many of the titles are in totally ridiculous categories. That's always a complaint on the forums. Doing a keyword search on the Find Assignments page is better.

I mostly write garden articles and search for things like "seed" "flower" "tree" "organic" etc.

Good luck!

joyce

I'm really shy...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Best of luck. I know if you put in some key words you like writing about into the search section of "Find Work" they will email you when new assignments come in. I've noticed that many times after midnight new assignments drop. For instance, if you like gardening or cooking, list and save words such as garden, plant, cook, recipe, bake, etc.

If you need any help at all, please pm me and I'll help all I can. DS is okay once you learn the ever changing ropes, but it can make you develop male pattern baldness.

I hope you find more assignments soon.

PrincessofPersia

Registered
Reaction score

I got "let go" because someone accused me of plagiarising myself. A well-reasoned email got me back in, though I guess that's technically not a reapplication.

joyce

I'm really shy...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
I got "let go" because someone accused me of plagiarising myself. A well-reasoned email got me back in, though I guess that's technically not a reapplication.

Congratulations! Do you know who accused you? I've read in the forums over there where a person will have an article go through the plagiarism detector and then the CE gets it. They think you've repeated something you wrote earlier and report your article for duplicate content. I figure if it makes it through the plagiarism detector your article should be okay. I've kept my finger's crossed on that myself, as I've probably written over 1000 gardening articles over there.

I'm glad DMS was reasonable and let you back in, but sucks you had to go through that in the first place.

PrincessofPersia

Registered
Reaction score
Congratulations! Do you know who accused you? I've read in the forums over there where a person will have an article go through the plagiarism detector and then the CE gets it. They think you've repeated something you wrote earlier and report your article for duplicate content. I figure if it makes it through the plagiarism detector your article should be okay. I've kept my finger's crossed on that myself, as I've probably written over 1000 gardening articles over there.

I'm glad DMS was reasonable and let you back in, but sucks you had to go through that in the first place.

Yeah. It was a very technical how-to article that was quite similar to one I had written like months before. I guess I used very similar language, but I'm not sure how else you could describe how to do it. I actually forgot I had written one that similar.

But yeah, they were reasonable, so that was good. Also, the guy who contacted me about it was REALLY nice and supportive.

GameMasterNick

All of Life Is A Game
Registered
Reaction score
Don't worry about tenure when applying to eHow channels like Home and Garden or Money. Here's the method that I find best:

Get and write a few articles from the general eHow pool, or create WCA articles, with titles that would normally fit the niche you're applying for. I'd suggest at least five of these to show you can consistently deliver.

Wait for publication of these on eHow. Then apply through the Contact Us link at the bottom of the page. Include ALL of your relevant background: i.e. if you're a gardener, have a garden, share a garden or regularly host house parties... this is important info. Same if you're a small business owner, run an LLC or online business or have other background qualifications.

Provide links to at least three published articles that DIRECTLY fit the subcategory. They must be titles that otherwise would have gone to the "segment," if not for mis-categorization or the fact that you created the title as WCA (and WCA titles in the niche markets can be very lucrative, btw).

Don't be upset if you're turned down... you can normally reapply. I haven't been turned down for -any- channel that I've requested using this method, but others have (sometimes with exact information, such as a lack of experience) and later reapplied successfully.

DannScheid

Registered
Reaction score
Website
dannscheid.tumblr.com
I was turned down too. I sort of felt bad about it for a few weeks but I'm over it now, I don't think I'd ever try and work for a site like Demand again in the future.

Ralyks

Untold stories inside
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.editorskylar.com
I just applied with them, and when I tried to submit my application, it said there was an error and to contact the help desk. But when I tried logging in with the e-mail and password I had provided, it took me to my writer profile and said I was "approved" as a writer. This was in a matter of seconds, with no time to review my resume or my writing sample. Peculiar. And it wants me to enter my social? Why should they need this before I have even written anything? I would be more comfortable giving it after I had made $600. So I'm hesitating with completing my profile and starting the articles. And does Demand take exclusive rights to material? I assume so, but they don't have a clear link to rights information. At the same time, I clicked "copy editor" and attempted to apply for that, though it says in my profile that I am "not eligible" for that position - again, in a matter of seconds.

andiwrite

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for this thread. I wish I had known this stuff ahead of time, as I submitted an article about visiting North Carolina instead of a how-to. They of course rejected me. But I wasn't aware you could resubmit under a different email. Wouldn't they recognize the name?

Status
Not open for further replies.