Name That Pope

maxmordon

Penúltimo
Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
Yeah, but you know, politics makes strange bedfellows. By the way, Venezuela's president Maduro just said it was thanks to Chávez that the new pope was Latin American. Heh, they don't miss one chance...

Don

All Living is Local
Registered
Reaction score

More like, holy shit! How did he get away w/ it? Now, he's Pope?
Referencing this, I suppose:
He recounts how the Argentine navy with the connivance of Cardinal Jorge Bergoglio, now the Jesuit archbishop of Buenos Aires, hid from a visiting delegation of the Inter-American Human Rights Commission the dictatorship's political prisoners.
plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose might sound classier in Latin, but the message is the same.

J.S.F.

Red fish, blue fish...
Registered
Reaction score
Am I too late to toss in a "Lighten up, Francis" joke?:)

Yeah, guess I am.

Anyway, wait and see what happens. I don't expect to see him do much in the way of changing the status quo, relations with other religions, or views of marriage, homosexuality, and the other things the Catholic Church has traditionally stood for, or against, as the case may be.

But yeah, he's got that smile and handwave thing nailed down. Wait and see....

Chrissy

Bright and Early for the Daily Race
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I don't know much about all things papal, but this was sort of adorable:

0623b347-cf8e-4dc4-bcf7-ae3398939dcf_zpsf2f28e00.jpg

Chase

It Takes All of Us to End Racism
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
And it came to pass that the monitors of the jokesters went blue, and fonts thereon would no more poke fun at Jorje who became Francis, because so many giggle when pronouncing Hor-hay.

The unbelievers among them cried, "It was the Higgs boson, not G--" Zap!

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I don't like that one of first official acts was greeting Cardinal Law. Law was directly responsible for thousands of children being molested over the decades by reassigning the molesters to new churches.

maxmordon

Penúltimo
Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
I don't like that one of first official acts was greeting Cardinal Law. Law was directly responsible for thousands of children being molested over the decades by reassigning the molesters to new churches.

The news heard is different, here it says the barred Cardinal Law from his presence. So far the only English-speaking newsource about it that I could find was the Daily Mail:

Despite the scandal which exploded to engulf the entire church, he was given an honorary position at the Basilica Santa Maria Maggiore, in Rome.

Though now retired, the cardinal still enjoys a grace and favour apartment in the cathedral complex.
So hearing that the new Pope was offering prayers at the very same church, it seems he couldn’t resist a discreet peak.

But when Pope Francis recognised him, he immediately ordered that Law be removed, according to Italian media reports. He went on to command: ‘He is not to come to this church any more.’

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-turned-blind-eye-murderous-dictatorship.html

Though, taking account of the veracity of the Daily Mail...

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I hope that is the case. The initial news reports here in MA said they met, now other reports are indicating Francis refused and had Law removed from the church.