picture book process

bruinflak

Hi,
I have what I think is a great idea for a picture book, but I'm unsure how to submit it. I'm assuming i write a query just like I do for my middle grade books. But what do I sent next? I know you're not supposed to send illustrations. So do you just send the entire text of the book? A synopsis or what? Thanks in advance.

Hillary

Neural Trailblazer
Registered
Reaction score
Picture book? The whole book. And DON'T try to format it as you want it split on pages. Just send the text whole.

MsJudy

Registered
Reaction score
Are you an SCBWI member? Their publication is a good resource on correct formatting. Write4kids.com also has good articles on the subject. So does Children's Writers and Illustrators Market.

Good luck!

Last edited:

writerterri

It's a dorky day!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
First do your research on the agent or publisher you want to send it to. Some may say only agents may send in mss (manuscripts). Some may want just the whole ms no query. Some want just a query or the entire ms and a cover letter. Some may not do picture books at all or certain kinds of picture books.

You have to do some research on the place your sending it to. Other than that, the whole ms and a cover letter is standard. But you may not get it read if you don't follow protocol.

Best wishes!

And... do you know standard ms form?