About.com?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MoreThanMommy

Registered
Reaction score
Website
morethanmommy.com
Oooh, RitrChick... good luck! Good luck to Amelia as well!

The info about Guide prep states that they have up to 5 people in prep at a time, but I think a lot of people drop out. The good thing is that this thread puts you at an advantage because you have an idea what to expect and even that you should definitely do more than the minimum required. The waiting was definitely the worst part for me this time around.

ameliawrites

Keep on keepin' on
Registered
Reaction score
Website
herbgardens.about.com
I have tried for such a long time with topics that I know about(a couple that I know a LOT about) but this one, "Cooking with kids" is perfect! I teach classes in real life for our homeschooling group, 4H cooking leader, wrote a parenting column for years that ran in a couple of papers...yadda yadda.
I think I would have a good shot at it if only I could get a foot in the door. I usually send my app and let it go but this time, it would just be such a good one.
Thanks for the good luck vibes too. I don't have anyone in real life to fret with about this.

klow

Registered
Reaction score
Hi Amelia,
Good luck. :)

Good luck to RitrChick, as well. I am sending happy thoughts your way!

I am just checking in after being bogged down in prep.

NancyP,
You are so right. After my first review I was really down. The amount of work left felt overwhelming and I just kept questioning myself. I don't know what happened, but as I began to plod along I felt renewed. I felt like I was actually doing okay. Believe it or not, it all felt fun!

My second review is coming up Thursday. I hope I am still feeling okay. I will be checking in here for my daily boost!

PS I wanted to thank everyone for their photo comments and ideas. I really appreciate everyone's input.

Well back to work....

NancyP

Registered
Reaction score
Go for it, klow!!!

Amelia and Rachel, just stay positive. Many writers here have done Prep more than once...it's definitely an educational experience...we just have to cheer each other on.

I'm so tired today (and had a wine column due this AM), so I am really dragging...I just need to take my own advice, right?

rachellist

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for all the feedback. This thread has been so useful in getting an idea of what to expect. I've cleared my schedule for the next few weeks and tried to do whatever I could to prepare. I'm 33 weeks pregnant right now and always deliver early though so I'm hoping nothing unexpected happens. They really do have a knack of accepting you to prep at the worst possible time don't they? :) At least I will keep busy so I won't have to start pacing my house for the last few weeks of pregnancy.

CarrieGee

Checking in from the trenches of prep as well! My main problem is that I have so many ideas of what I want to write and put up there, and there's no way in the world that I'll have enough time to do everything.

Well, that and deciding which template to use for each article.

Good luck Ameliawrites - I saw that topic as well and thought it would be a really fun one. And good luck to everyone else in all the various stages of the process!

Back to it!

PattiTheWicked

Unleashing Hell.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pattiwigington.com
I just got my three-month review (although officially my site went live four months ago)... turns out, I don't suck! Lots of positive feedback, my reviewer loves the site, and I still have a job.

I pwn!!

RitrChick

Rejoining the Butt in Chair Club
Registered
Reaction score
I just got my three-month review (although officially my site went live four months ago)... turns out, I don't suck! Lots of positive feedback, my reviewer loves the site, and I still have a job.

Congratulations, Patti! That's great. :)

Turns out I DO suck, however. Got my Final Review in record speed (just ended Prep yesterday) and someone with more breadth and depth got the gig.

Wow.

Like I said before, good for them if they got it over me. I know how much I put into it and they must have REALLY worked their a** off.

So, I will go and sulk now :(, but just know that my super-hopeful thoughts are now with the rest of you Preppers.

ameliawrites

Keep on keepin' on
Registered
Reaction score
Website
herbgardens.about.com
Yea Patti! You rock...Your site is beeeutiful too!

Do people actually tank after all that work getting set up? I can't imagine.

I love your stuff!

Amelia

ameliawrites

Keep on keepin' on
Registered
Reaction score
Website
herbgardens.about.com
RitrChick-
Oh no!!! I am sorry you didn't get it.You most certainly do NOT suck! Geez, ok I will come clean and say that I have tried for about 8 years to get in.. I am NOT kidding. The fact you got in and made it through Prep makes you a writing hero, baby..a HERO!!

LOL..hows that for a peptalk?

PattiTheWicked

Unleashing Hell.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pattiwigington.com
Yea Patti! You rock...Your site is beeeutiful too!

Do people actually tank after all that work getting set up? I can't imagine.

I love your stuff!

Thanks, Amelia! About two weeks before you have your three-month review, your reviewer sends you an email that says, "Here's some preliminary comments, you might want to fix the following before your Actual Review, and here's some stuff you're doing really well that we like." The big key is to, apparently, pay attention to the instructions that came in the "What We'd Like To See Before Your Three Month Review" email that you get when you finish prep.

It does make me wonder if there are people who really don't cut it after their three months, because it would seem like a huge waste of everyone's time and effort.

I gotta fess up, tho... I was a little nervous about my review beforehand :)

plaidearthworm

Rock and Squiggle
Registered
Reaction score
I'm so sorry, RitrChick. I know how hard you worked on it. And congrats to Patti for a good review! I knew you would do well, because your site is great! I go by there nearly every day.

willwrite4food

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.FinishedPages.com
Ritr Chick,

I'm so sorry to hear about your final review! Having just been through the whole process myself, I know how time-consuming and mind boggling it can be. What a bummer. Do be sure to add the html and blogging "training" and experience to your resume, it will help you in the future, I'm sure. What was your topic again?

Me, on the other hand, had my final review over a week ago (city guide) and have yet to hear anything. I am dying over here, and I'm too chicken to send a follow-up e-mail. In the meantime, small assignments keep streaming my way so I'm trying to keep myself occupied in the meantime.

Breddings

Registered
Reaction score
Website
beer.about.com
Do people actually tank after all that work getting set up?

Yes, they do. When I was going through the three month thing someone a couple of weeks ahead of me was told "thanks but no thanks." I had befriended her as we worked through our requirements together so I tracked her down when I found out. She was irritated but only a little. She told me that during those 90 days she managed to land a book deal, largely because of her About guide status!

Last edited:

MoreThanMommy

Registered
Reaction score
Website
morethanmommy.com
RitrChick, I'm so sorry. I know what a bummer it is to do all that work and not graduate. Don't be too hard on yourself, though. It's hard to know exactly what they're looking for (and the feedback isn't always that helpful in that regard) and... sometimes you're just up against an overachiever with no other commitments.

Christy

wolflady26

Registered
Reaction score
Aww, Ritrchick, I'm sorry that you didn't make it in this time! I hope that you'll try again!

Amelia, it sounds like you're perfectly placed for the topic! If you don't get accepted into Prep, I bet it's just because of bad timing.

Patti, congrats on passing your three-month review! I'm sure no one at About likes to have to tell people that they're not going to pass their review, but I can think of a lot of reasons why it might be necessary (plagiarism, not grasping the tools even after three months, not writing enough content, very poor reader reaction).

RitrChick

Rejoining the Butt in Chair Club
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks everyone.

By nature, I am very hard on myself, so this is quite a blow. It took a little while to sink in, but now I'm feeling pretty dang sad tonight. :e2cry: Thanks for your support, though.

Ritr

klow

Registered
Reaction score
RitrChick,
I just read your news. I am so, so sorry.

cvernonpal

Registered
Reaction score
Well, it's been a little over a week since my final review time and I haven't heard anything, so I sent an e-mail today to see if they made a final decision. I was told that the News & Issues Editor has a large number of topics he needs to make decisions about and that's the delay. He said it could be another week before a decision is made due to this backlog. Just an FYI for those who may be in a similar boat.

Ritrchick, I feel your pain. I'm nervous waiting on a decision and I know I will be devastated if I don't get it. But, as I told my husband today, I've learned a lot that can be applied to other things. I've written for newspapers for 12 years, so this is my first attempt in the freelance writing world. I've learned a lot about freelancing in a short time (and I will be a constant visitor on the freelancewriting.about.com website).

Congrats Patti on the good three-month review! Everyone in Prep, hang in there!

Cvernonpal (Cheril)

willwrite4food

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.FinishedPages.com
Add me to the list of rejects. Got my final review today, and I got the same stock answer as Ritr Chick. I'm trying to be optimistic, but it does smart pretty badly.:cry:

At least I've got other work to keep me busy this month. Thank goodness for not putting all my eggs in one basket!

klow

Registered
Reaction score
Oh my goodness, Renee! I can't believe it. This has been a downer week. I am so sorry.

NancyP

Registered
Reaction score
I'm so sorry...I know first hand how you feel. It is so, so hard to put all that work in, feel so tired, and then...:cry:

I hope you'll take a day or two to rest up; things will look brighter, I promise!

{{{hugs}}}

Status
Not open for further replies.