What do you do when someone decides to illegally distribute your novel?

Status
Not open for further replies.

KosseMix

fixing a limp query...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kossemix.blogspot.com
I was avoiding AW for a writerly break after writing my latest novel and passed it on to a few trusting beta readers. Problem is, it seems one of them was not so trusting.

One beta reader passed the work on to a friend. The friend did not like the work and is now on Facebook talking about how the work is awful. A friend of mine contacted her and asked why she thought that way, and the individual explained then send her the novel so she could see for herself.

I have no idea how many times she's infringed my copyright as the sole owner of the work by sending it to other people. She uploaded it to a distribution site. I contacted the site to have the link taken down, but she could easily put it back up. Or put it somewhere else.

This is obviously going to be a huge problem. This person clearly doesn't like the work and wants to do it damage. What do I do?

Last edited:

MissMacchiato

Bring on the Sweet, Sweet Coffee
Registered
Reaction score
oh my god, that's awful. I'm sorry you're going through this.

I don't have any suggestions, other than what you've already done. You have my sympathies, in any case.

Reaction score
So get new betas.

Or have your current ones kneecapped as a warning to any other potential shitcocks.

KosseMix

fixing a limp query...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kossemix.blogspot.com
So get new betas.

Or have your current ones kneecapped as a warning to any other potential shitcocks.

Lmao, cute. It's actually past the beta stage, but I recently found out about the distribution when a friend of mine looked into it.

Not sure I'm in the right state of mind to appreciate the humor, though. I'm more looking for serious advice.

Reaction score
A similar thing happened to me once. It was 'only' an extract and it was 'only' the person's housemate he showed it to, but I went apeshit at him and never sent him another word.

There's not much you can do. You can't un-ring a bell.

But I would let it be known this is a copy distributed without permission.

Rowan

Registered
Reaction score
I was avoiding AW for a writerly break after writing my latest novel and passed it on to a few trusting beta readers. Problem is, it seems one of them was not so trusting.

One beta reader passed the work on to a friend. The friend did not like the work and is now on Facebook talking about how the work is awful. A friend of mine contacted her and asked why she thought that way, and the individual explained then send her the novel so she could see for herself.

I have no idea how many times she's infringed my copyright as the sole owner of the work by sending it to other people. She uploaded it to a distribution site. I contacted the site to have the link taken down, but she could easily put it back up. Or put it somewhere else.

This is obviously going to be a huge problem. This person clearly doesn't like the work and wants to do it damage. What do I do?

Ignore Scarlet Peaches. She's just upset that Armitage has his shirt on today ;)... Srsly.

I feel really bad for you! :( This is awful.

First, have you contacted the beta reader who passed the work along to her friend? If not, I'd do that ASAP and keep all of your correspondence. It's on this beta reader to tell her friend to cease and desist. I'm not sure what recourse you have if she refuses to honor your wishes. The fact she passed your project along to her friend speaks volumes as to her character, or lack thereof.

This all boils down to one thing, and that's beta reader "etiquette." A few people have recently told me they were required to sign a contract upon accepting a beta assignment. I'm not sure if this is the answer, or if it would even help. Any lawyers care to weigh in? Aside from a SSBI, I'm not sure how best to screen betas (kidding about the SSBI.) Anyone have a tried and true method?

Good, trustworthy beta partners are like gold. They're hard to find and when you do find them, send them chocolate, Bordeaux or whatever's necessary to keep them happy. I'm really very sorry this has happened to you!

I'm a stickler when it comes to privacy, and not just because I'm a relatively private person. I think if someone entrusts you with their MS, that's saying something. And that trust should be honored. Discussing projects online without a writer's consent, in whatever format (social media, etc.), is a serious breach of trust, IMHO.

I know this doesn't help in your situation, but if nothing else, may this serve as a lesson for anyone seeking a beta reader.

thothguard51

A Gentleman of a refined age...
Registered
Reaction score
And how would you feel if the person raved about the book on her blog? Would you still feel she was wrong in doing so?

Ignor it and keep working on the book. If you are really worried that a google search for the title will lead to her blog, change the title...

brainstorm77

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
This is terrible and not the first time I've heard of this happening. Sadly all I can say is be wary who you have beta.

brainstorm77

Registered
Reaction score
And how would you feel if the person raved about the book on her blog. Would you still feel she was wrong in doing so.

Ignor it and keep working on the book. If you are really worried that a google search for the title will lead to her blog, change the title...

The beta shouldn't be broadcasting it either way period. For the record, I'd be pissed either way. It's a shitty thing to do.

Reaction score
Ignore Scarlet Peaches. She's just upset that Armitage has his shirt on today ;)... Srsly.
Oh you had to go there. :cry:

Srsly. I did go apeshit at the person who did this to me and I must be so scary in full flow that he backed down. I believe he peed himself.

KosseMix

fixing a limp query...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kossemix.blogspot.com
And how would you feel if the person raved about the book on her blog? Would you still feel she was wrong in doing so?

You may want to re-read my original post. I didn't say she posted a bad review. I said she posted a bad review and uploaded the full manuscript and is distributing it to other people along with said bad review.

I'm not sure how best to screen betas (kidding about the SSBI.) Anyone have a tried and true method?

Yeah, I wasn't 100% sure how to go about it. My method was to post a short description of the book then ask people to fill out a short form describing how old they were, how much they read, what sort of books they read (I was looking for people who read in my genre, especially the recent titles), etc.

Last edited:

brainstorm77

Registered
Reaction score
I've heard enough horror stories on AW to never have anyone beta for me that I don't know well.

Reaction score
I would strongly advise against advertising for betas. I'd only ever use friends. Of course friends can disappoint you too but there's less chance of it happening.

Make it a mutual thing; that way if your manuscript goes walkabout, the same thing - oh dear - might happen to theirs.

KosseMix

fixing a limp query...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kossemix.blogspot.com
I would strongly advise against advertising for betas. I'd only ever use friends. Of course friends can disappoint you too but there's less chance of it happening.

This is a fair suggestion (obviously I got one of the worst case scenarios) but, for the record, the other beta readers were gold. They had spot on suggestions and there was a lot of unity on what needed to be improved or changed (which led to a much stronger manuscript). I was really happy with the feedback I got from them.

Rowan

Registered
Reaction score
This is a fair suggestion (obviously I got one of the worst case scenarios) but, for the record, the other beta readers were gold. They had spot on suggestions and there was a lot of unity on what needed to be improved or changed (which led to a much stronger manuscript). I was really happy with the feedback I got from them.

Maybe references? I actually found a superb beta reader that way--via "referral."

But Scarlet and Brainstorm are right, my two bestest betas are people I befriended and who later became beta partners (we swap.)

Last edited:
Reaction score
Worse comes to the worst, tell everyone she's got syphilis and it's unsettling the balance of her infected little mind.

CACTUSWENDY

An old, sappy, and happy one.
Kind Benefactor
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
To beta for someone, or even just read their works, is an unspoken trust. I have read and enjoyed some of the works done on AW. Even got one idea from one someone wrote and sent them a PM asking for permission to use one thing similar in my work. To me it was just the thing to do.

I'm sorry this has happened to you and I would send a C&D to this person. If they are a 'true' writer they should honor this. Even when I have let a family member read some of mine I always tell them it is for 'their eyes only'.

Good luck. Keep us posted as to how this works out.

leahzero

The colors! THE COLORS!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
words.leahraeder.com
Send her a C&D...

This, actually. Trot out the magic letters "DMCA" and you may be able to get whatever site's hosting it to pull it.

If you were so inclined, you'd probably have a good copyright case against her. But it seems like your priority is just getting it off the web and preventing it from disseminating further, so yeah, try a cease and desist.

mscelina

Teh doommobile, drivin' rite by you
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Going shopping with Soccer Mom and Bubastes for fu
But also, if she's posting it on her blog, you can contact the blog site and report her for distributing copyrighted material without your permission. her blog will be shut down and she may learn a valuable lesson. As for the distribution site, they usually cancel the accounts of illegal uploaders. Contact them again and demand prompt action. Then change the title of the work.

And I think you've probably learned a valuable lesson as well. This situation can be avoided in the future on your part by making it clear to any and all betas (whether they're your best friends, cousins, or what) that it's illegal to pass on your work without your permission.

Last edited:

Collectonian

Inclined to eclectic eccentricity
Registered
Reaction score
When you do the DMCA, make sure you give an address and phone number that is NOT your home number. Some of these types of people retaliate by posting the DMCA online for the world to see, there by giving out your personal info.

Might even be worth it to see how much a lawyer would charge to send an "official" C&D that shows very clearly you mean business.

Susan Coffin

Tell it like it Is
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.strokingthepen.com
Kosse,

That is so horrible. It's sad that things like that happen.

As for your beta reader- you know not to use her again. She is clearly not trustworthy. I suggest you have a talk with this beta and tell her to get your work back from that friend. She also needs to tell the friend to not post or distribute your work.

Regarding the "friend" of the beta reader who has uploaded it to a distribution site--you should be able to get a hold of someone at the site who deals with these kinds of issues. Call, email, do whatever it takes to get to the right person to have your work removed. I can almost bet you one has to check mark some box saying they are authorized to upload the material for distribution. She lied. One mark against her already.

Finally, I would write that "friend" of the beta a professional email telling her to stop posting your work, to immediately return your work. If you know she is posting your work to Facebook or any website, I would certainly inform those websites.

I don't know if my advice is good or not, but I just think behavior like this is unspeakable. I am such a leery person that I allow few people to beta my work. I am not afraid a stranger will steal it or anything, I am afraid that they will think it's okay to pass it around. Not good.

Please keep us informed as to how it all turns out.

Status
Not open for further replies.