The Old Neverending PublishAmerica Thread (Publish America)

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveKuzminski

Re: Start your timers....

Well, it's lasted more than I thought it would.

I can't help but notice that the writers are aware of PA's deletions and are resorting to email so that PA won't know their true thoughts and words. Sounds almost like the French underground in WWII.

FM St George

well, it's gone...

wonder if the authors mentioned will visit here - maybe someone invited them to see the posts... you can only censor people for so long before they will start looking elsewhere for the truth!

*innocent look*

saving PA authors - one at a time...

Molly Brent

legal action

Right now, after my letter, I think the internet fraud division of the FBI is going to help. Also, the IRS said they will take action.

This is the first time I have been encouraged.

If it doesn't work, I have a friend (about 150 miles from me) who is a retired federal judge. He probably can find the right person to handle it for me.

I do think we should fight as a group.....that way our complaints wouldn't be scattered all over the place.

I moved up on the best seller list again.

Still no check.

Molly

AnneMarble

Re: Another convert!

Scroll down a few inches, Anne. It starts below the bank of links (and the Yahoo! button).

Thanks. I think she moved up it up since, because it was right on the top when I next looked. Either that, or I should've cleaned my glasses better. :grin

Unfortunately, for every "convert" there are a dozen left behind:

What a setup PA has. They've set up a mindset where their own victims are forwarding letters they get telling them that PA is bad. :smack

Also, what was the deal with the site they were talking about? Was it a site that helped publicize authors, or gave them tips on publicity? If that's the case, I don't blame people for backing away from it once they learned more about PA, great site or not. A lot of people are going to look at the site, say "Oh, it's one of those PA authors," and leave. Not good publicity. :(

Whachawant

Why is P.A. Still around...

Well at 103 pages of this thread I can honestly say that nobody should even look at PA....

I realize, most,..have been burned.. chalk it up as a learning experience...

What I want to know, has anybody tried to take these guys to court for unfair business practices or something... ???
I know their probably sliding through a loop hole .. but I'm sure some of you can use your past experience and accumulated knowledge and find a way to nail the coffin shut on these guys...
..do any of you think this way?
You've all got alot of dirt... now what you need is some concrete.....

peace.

James D Macdonald

Re: Why is P.A. Still around...

We've been talking about false advertising and unfair business practices just about forever. Yes, it's been thought of.

All that's required is someone with standing and money to walk into a lawyer's office.

<HR>

Update: Has anyone told Laura Pfalz that her now-missing thread is mentioned here?

Whachawant

Is there not some sort of foundation that you can present your case too. "ie? writers legal help"

.... and if not ... why not?:shrug "United we stand........!":hug

There's enough writers associations out there ....you would think they would all be willing to prevent this type of lousy business practices by dontating to a legal cause...

Guess I'm just a dreamer..... :huh

James D Macdonald

You're asking about <a href="http://www.vlany.org/res_dir.html" target="_new">Volunteer Lawyers for the Arts</a>, also mentioned upstream.

vrauls

PA Review and check out that cover

I've never commented here before (and have nothing to do with PA -- good or bad). But when I saw this, I thought about the thread and figured it might be interesting. I hope it hasn't been posted before.

Please check out the cover of the PA published book reviewed in this journal:

www.livejournal.com/users...13659.html

XThe NavigatorX

Re: James D Macdonald

yeah, I think that was talked about a little before. The cover was changed, though I don't know if PA did it on its own or because someone threatened to sue them.

www.amazon.com/exec/obido...1094660636

The amazon page has a review supposedly by the author complaining about PA. I don't know if it was really her. She gave herself two stars.

James D Macdonald

Re: PA Review and check out that cover

Yes, Night Travels of the Elven Vampire has been mentioned here. LaVerne herself (having Awakened and Smelled the Coffee) is a regular poster now.

AnneMarble

Please check out the cover of the PA published book reviewed in this journal:

Thanks for posting that link. I've heard of the cover but never actually seen it. That was even more ... obvious ... than I'd thought it was. Wow. :eek

XThe NavigatorX

Re: royalty check

ahhh, I was wondering why that name sounded so dang familiar.

Hi LaVerne! :D

CaoPaux

I think this is a prime example of the damage PA inflicts upon aspiring writers. Cover issues aside, competent editing might have spared Ms. Ross 'net-wide ridicule. :/

vrauls

Cover issues

LaVerne herself (having Awakened and Smelled the Coffee) is a regular poster now.

My deepest apologies for bringing it up then! It must be profoundly difficult to have finished your book, only to discover your publisher has stolen an image for the cover (among the other PA issues that have been discussed here at length).

I thought the cover might be a starting point for legal action against them, not realizing it had already been changed.

FM St George

it was, but not until WAY after a lot of complaining from Ms Ross, IIRC...

let's put it this way - no REAL publisher would have allowed that cover to go out due to the legal issues. The fact that it went through their entire system without comment or question tells me that their "legal" department consists of watching Law and Order reruns on TNT...

:p

AnneMarble

it was, but not until WAY after a lot of complaining from Ms Ross, IIRC...
Yeah, I remember reading something she wrote about it. Maybe on her web page or on Amazon.

let's put it this way - no REAL publisher would have allowed that cover to go out due to the legal issues. The fact that it went through their entire system without comment or question tells me that their "legal" department consists of watching Law and Order reruns on TNT...
If that. :) Even my mother would have recognized that picture as Orlando Bloom (though she can never remember his name), and she would've guessed it was a Bad Idea to put it on a book cover.

BTW I like the idea of vampire elves. :grin

KW

Start your timers....

BTW I like the idea of vampire elves.

I think a vampire drawf would be better. They are already mean SOB's, and to make one a blood sucker....what things could come.

I might have to try that.

Kevin

ncq13

That review is soooo mean! Attacking authors like that IS NOT going to help them improve, nor is it going to hurt PA. I really feel for the author and hope that she has been able to move on.

DeePower

NYT ad and PA "winners"

Here is a post from Infocenter regarding when the first NYT ad will run. This was posted September 5. If the ad was to run Sept. 19 and the artwork had to be in "the end of last week" then there is a two week period between submission of the art work and the ad appearing. Which would mean that the "winners" would know 2 weeks ahead of time. There have been no announcements on the PA boards by any author that they have been selected.

It will be interesting to see if the ad actually runs.

Dee

Infocenter
Administrator
9/05/2004
20:55:40

&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp RE: First NYT ad?

Not sure, with the experts off for the long weekend, but it's likely the Sept. 19 issue.
The art work was due end of last week, that much is certain. As previously announced, the winners will be informed ahead of time, i.e. momentarily.

FM St George

it'll be interesting to see if anyone is keeping tabs on this and posts something like:

"Hey, I spent three hundred dollars on books! Where's my ad?"

:p

although I doubt it'll stay up long...

the sad thing is that obviously PA isn't getting any more competent in their scams - if you're going to promise something, then you have to deliver - especially something as visible as a NYT ad.

James D Macdonald

"Hey, I spent three hundred dollars on books! Where's my ad?"

Three hundred? Hah! I spit on your three hundred! I'm guessing that no one will be in the ad who didn't buy at least 250 copies of their own book for a nice round $2.5K (plus shipping).

<HR>

BTW, reviews aren't meant to help the author grow. They're for the benefit of the readers, not the writers.

XThe NavigatorX

Jim, I'll up your ante. I know of two who (said they) went for the big 1k, and I bet no one in the top ten bought less than 500.

James D Macdonald

A thousand copies of their own book?

Is that what you're saying?

Let's see ... typically $19.95.

If they get the 30% discount, that's $13,965 plus $502.50 in shipping, for $14,467.50 on the credit card.

If they're new authors and get a 50% discount, that's $9,975 plus the same $502.50 for $10,477.50.

If they've got a deal with a 55% discount (the biggest discount I've ever heard PA giving), then it's $8,977.50 plus $502.50 for $9,480 out of pocket.

Let's see what kind of ads they could buy themselves for the same money (and not have to fill the basement with cartons of books)....

For just $12,840, 3/10 of a page (darned-near that half page, all for you, and no competition -- you know it's going in!) Or for $8,860, 1/5 of a page. What a saving! What a deal!

But, actually, we know the advertising isn't worth a darn to PA authors. The purpose of print advertising for books is this: To tell people who are waiting for a certain book (for example, the next John Grisham novel), "Hey, you know that book you were planning to buy the minute it came out? It's out!"

But no one's waiting for these books. And if a cover catches some random reader's eye, and he considers looking for it next time he's in a bookstore, the author is still out of luck because that book isn't going to be in a bookstore.

So -- no increase in sales for the PA authors. Big increase in sales for PA, though -- selling books to their own authors, and bringing in wannabee authors who see the PA logo in the NYT Book Review. (Several standard vanity presses run monthy or even weekly ads there, for just that reason. To hook new suckers.)

CaoPaux

Jim, I'll up your ante. I know of two who (said they) went for the big 1k, and I bet no one in the top ten bought less than 500.

:ssh

Status
Not open for further replies.