Again

akiwiguy

AW Inmate #90976
Registered
Reaction score
Hmmm, I've had to give my 17yo daughter a bit of a rev-up lately. She's also very bright, was dux of her primary school etc. and she really is a great kid, but just a few little things lately. "Not feeling well, can I miss school today" after I've heard her chatting with her boyfriend till all damn hours at her end of the house.... mid-week, like I hadn't even realised he was in our house! Her diet is diabolical. The odd cigarette starting to turn into the odd couple of cigarettes.

She's really neat, and figuring most things out OK for a girl of her age, but there sure is a point where you realise things are changing a bit.

TsukiRyoko

Forced into cell phone life
Registered
Reaction score
Website
tsuki-explodes.blogspot.com
Hmmm, I've had to give my 17yo daughter a bit of a rev-up lately. She's also very bright, was dux of her primary school etc. and she really is a great kid, but just a few little things lately. "Not feeling well, can I miss school today" after I've heard her chatting with her boyfriend till all damn hours at her end of the house.... mid-week, like I hadn't even realised he was in our house! Her diet is diabolical. The odd cigarette starting to turn into the odd couple of cigarettes.

She's really neat, and figuring most things out OK for a girl of her age, but there sure is a point where you realise things are changing a bit.
Tell her that sleeping with someone doesn't mean you have to call them all the time. *runs away from punches*

akiwiguy

AW Inmate #90976
Registered
Reaction score
Tell her that sleeping with someone doesn't mean you have to call them all the time. *runs away from punches*

Oh, the point I was making wasn't about her calling him... it's that they're talking all night in her bedroom. Which, midweek and without me even knowing he's in the house.... just not so good. And that's when I tend to get the "Not feeling so good, can I skip the mrning's school" or whatever stuff the next morning.

akiwiguy

AW Inmate #90976
Registered
Reaction score
Teeangers can be rather amusing. The night I met my daughter's boyfriend went like this...

It was Friday night and I was listening to music and having a few beers, my daughter was in her bedroom with a whole lot of friends having I guess a little party. Anyway she grabs me by the hand and drags me to her room saying "My friend wants to meet you 'cause you're apparently a legend".

Being a legend apparently means you haven't grown up enough that the kids relate to you but no one else really does, you've done enough silly crap in your time, and like your music etc. etc., and you let the kids get away with blue murder, you know the score. So she drags me into her room, I am introduced etc, then after about a minute she grabs me and marches me back out the door, "OK, that's long enough, out ya go."

Exhibit over.

Sean D. Schaffer

Registered
Reaction score
Many of the brightest students do poorly in HS or even drop out because they are bored out of their skulls.

She might do better in accellerated classes.

Keep up the faith.

I agree. I almost failed High School for that very reason. Once I decided to get the most brilliant math test I could find to hone my skills, and I found the highest math test the classroom possessed was stuff I learned in the 6th Grade.

And this was in my Senior Year of High School. I was rather expecting to find Geometry or Algebra tests, not sixth grade multiplication tests.

As for what you did for your daughter, I agree with a lot of the people here that you did the right thing. She might not think too highly of what you did, but she probably will when she tries to make a life of her own down the road.

WerenCole

Funny what? Do I amuse you?
Registered
Reaction score
I always hated in school suspension when I cut class. Oh well. I survived high school, just barely if I recall, and now I have been to two awards ceremonies for academic achievement in a week. (Note: I will never attend another awards ceremony until I win an Oscar.)

She'll turn around. It may take five to seven years but kids always turn it around.

Jaycinth

Your Cuddly Sociopathic
Registered
Reaction score
So last night when I get home, she is actually in a good mood about this. Evidently it was 'cool' that I turned in her friends. She had a long talk with the counselor after I left, and she is happy about in school suspension at this point. (I understand there is a 'bully' that's been waiting around her classes, so the counselor is looking into that.)

If she works hard and does not skip she may pass 9th grade and only have to take one make up class.
(If she'd stayed on track she'd be able to take an enrichment class at the college...These are neat classes offered for 6th grade to 12th grade..interdiscliplinary...she's always liked them)

Her brother's said he's going to spend more time with her.

This morning I hauled myself out of bed early, and drove her to school (in my jammies) just to make sure she walked through the front door.

Why me?

I need more coffee.
(Thanks...y'all make it so much better)

Jaycinth

Your Cuddly Sociopathic
Registered
Reaction score
Blam!
I didn't think you'd be looking back and laughing that soon. That counsellor must be really good.

Also, I find the image of you driving her to school in a silk nightie pretty appealing.

Nope. Have to laugh about it. It is serious, but if I go the 'this is gravely serious route', she'll blow it off and won't pay attention. As I said, at this point she seemed relieved and wasn't upset that I'd ratted out all of the other kids..to the school, this time.

So I'm taking the middle ground, while pointing out 'acquaintences' who are my age and working menial jobs because some people were 'too good' for Highschool, so they dropped out and got County Jobs, and are now on the same payscale they were on 20 years ago. $11.00 an hours just doesn't go as far as it did in 1997.

And of course there is that friend of her brother who is cleaning bathrooms at the theatre to pay for classes to take the GED so she can get paid more than $7.00 an hour.

I am sorry to ruin your fantasy, Mr. B. But it is 50 degrees and rainy. So I was wearing cotton Jammies (not the footie ones, alas) and a big, fluffy, warm, long, fluffy, fluffy, fluffy robe.(mmmmm...flufffffffyyyyyyy)

If you'd like, you can fantasize about me wearing a grey three piece suit with a bow tie while I'm auditing expense reports.....

Hmmm.... someone explain why I am not still in that robe.....

Unique

Agent of Doom
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hmmm.... someone explain why I am not still in that robe.....

um...cuz you're closer to DC than NC?

(that's only a guess, mind. i voted for the shock collar option)

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, Ben, you have no idea what we're wearing as we drive our charges hither and yon. Yesterday I drove The Kid to work in frog pajamas and a jacket.

Back to the subject at hand. Sounds like Jaycinth's kid may be on the right track again.

Maryn, hoping so

Jaycinth

Your Cuddly Sociopathic
Registered
Reaction score
Actually, I'm praying that all of the kids involved are back on track. One of them has a lot of problems at home. Which I mentioned to the counselor and strongly suggested that she get that kid's parents to come in.

And I also have to hope daughter is not 'playacting'
But she seemed happy, accepting, and very glad I'd told the counselor to look into the one kid's problems.

And if we have to cancel beach week so she can go to summer school, then....

I'll cry, and sit in the backyard with my feet in a bucket of water, a beer in a bucket of sand, and my laptop in my lap.

Once again...Hugs to you all. Being able to talk about it helps a lot.

WerenCole

Funny what? Do I amuse you?
Registered
Reaction score
I love ISS. All my friends were there. :tongue

It is funny. . . I got suspended from school for not showing up. You think it would be the opposite, yes? Excessive tardiness= suspension.

My all time favorite suspension went something along these lines:

I was talking to a friend during lunch while walking back into the building. I said something, to him, along that lines of "that is bullsh!t!" A teacher or somebody heard me swear (this was during my senior year in high school by the way, past the point where you get sent to the corner for swearing) and told me to report to the office. I refused, naturally. She told me to go. I refused. She asked my name:

"Jose Cuervo, what's it to you?" Her natural response was "What?! Go to the office right now."

Very casually I told her that I was going to go to class, then I did. When I got out of that class (which I believe was creative writing actually) they were waiting at the door I had gone into with Mr. Scott, the big man who runs in school suspension. Mr. Scott, knowing who I was, grabbed me and asked if I was a goddamn idiot. I told him he just swore and should report to the principals office. Keep digging young man, maybe you can parlay this into a month long suspension.

The official charges were: Falsifying identifaction with alcoholic references, disobeying a plethora of teachers orders and being a smartass.

Only got a week for that one. . . I promised I would try harder next time. Oh well.

TsukiRyoko

Registered
Reaction score
Website
It is funny. . . I got suspended from school for not showing up. You think it would be the opposite, yes? Excessive tardiness= suspension.
I know, I never understood this punishment, either. I never got suspended very often, because when they threatened it, I always forgot to act forlorn and ending up yelling, "Sweet! I'm going to the bookstore!"

WerenCole said:
My all time favorite suspension went something along these lines:
Heeheehee, I like that story. Teachers always flipped out at my old school for swearing. I didn't understand it.

I was in the principal's office more often than I was in class. Once, I got caught for giving a tattoo in the middle of class (yes it was a real), and I was dragged by my hair into the office. I've been caught numberous times smoking in the bathroom, and usually got into trouble not only for smoking, but for trying to escape into the vents when I was caught. Once I caught sleeping in class with a "cigarette" behind my ear (I tossed it in the teacher's purse as she dragged me to the office and I was never caught. I had a friend retrieve it later). I've been caught 3 times dying someone's hair in the girl's bathroom while skipping class (using the other student was a boy, so yeah...). I was almost thrown out of middle school for piercing myself and others in class ("Andrea! What did you do?!" *smile, points to lip ring*)

Yeah.... I wasn't really the model student. You figure out that you're not the model student when the principal (a large, scary black woman who ran REALLY fast in stilettos and was fond of leopard print. She was a cool principal, but man she hated me) chases you down the hallway.

Jaycinth

Your Cuddly Sociopathic
Registered
Reaction score
Daughter definitely takes after her father.....

cause I maintained a 3.8 average...

and....

I never got caught. Not Once.

Not True: Sorry.
I got caught once. I was cutting Algebra in the geometry classroom. I failed the geometry test.

Mr Argyle said:
"My dear girl, this test is absymal. Just think of how much better you would have done if you'd been in my class every day?"
Teee hee tee heeee.....

No. Truely. If she had straight A's I'd be lenient.
And truthfully...the only reason the school is not breathing fire is because when she takes the tests...she gets B's and A's. If she's just attend every day and do the classwork I wouldn't have to struggle to put her through college. She might even be able to graduate ahead of her class.

Yes. It is all about me.
1 hour until check-in.

Jaycinth

Your Cuddly Sociopathic
Registered
Reaction score
....(a large, scary black woman who ran REALLY fast in stilettos and was fond of leopard print. She was a cool principal, but man she hated me) chases you down the hallway.

I didn't hate you, Tsuki. I just needed exercise.

(Snicker..when I was in HS, both students and teachers had a smoking lounge...if you smoked and were over 16.......)

TsukiRyoko

Registered
Reaction score
Website
I didn't hate you, Tsuki. I just needed exercise.
I knew it!

Jaycinth said:
(Snicker..when I was in HS, both students and teachers had a smoking lounge...if you smoked and were over 16.......)
I know! I was born in the wrong decade!

But, my old janitor didn't mind the new "smoking is illegal for minors" thing. I'd go out on the roof and smoke with him after lunch all the time.

MidnightMuse

Midnight Reading
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm too paranoid to drive anywhere in my jammies. Won't even run to Starbucks (1 mile) in my sweatpants - I always assume if I do that "just this one time" that's the time aliens will land on the road, causing a huge traffic jam on the bridge that spans the canyon between me and Starbucks. Then everyone will get out of their cars to stare at the aliens, except me because my sweat pants have paint stains on them and make my ass look unsightly. So when the aliens are glancing around, trying to decide who they should abduct for their annual "go fetch an earthling" Lotto, they'd see me as the only one sitting in my car not staring up at them in wonder, and figure "heck, there's a slow one" and that'd be that.

And in my sweats, no less.