Proving a fact when you just happen to know it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rachel Udin

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.racheludin.com
So I'm (re)writing an article and I know a fact, but I just happen to know it from collective reading over the years rather than a single reference. This fact would not be common knowledge to the general public and I would happen to know part of it from personal experience... (and selected reading which I can't seem to dig up easily or reference easily without launching into it too deeply to just prove that one point.)

What is the best way to deal with it in the article?

shadowwalker

empty-nester!
Registered
Reaction score
Well, unfortunately, my experience has been if you can't back up a fact with proof, you're either going to have to leave it out, call it an opinion/conclusion/personal experience, or face a barrage of people disputing it. This is especially true if it's something that flies in the face of "common knowledge".

Rattigan

An INFP with the moon in Aries
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.davidlrattigan.com
Hard to say with such a general description, as it depends what publication you're writing for, what type of article, who your audience is, etc. If you've cited specific sources for comparable facts, omitting a reference in this case will stand out.

Rachel Udin

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.racheludin.com
Fortunately it doesn't fly in the face of common knowledge. I just need to prove the "when".

The publication is a general publication so I can't get too technical or veer off.

The article is for laymen, not for those who would know the subject deeply.

And the audience is spec fans, though the subject isn't 100% about spec.

The tone of the article is a bit argumentative, but mostly informative to get people to think more deeply about the subject.

This magazine has published before things like "race" used in speculative fiction, etc. So it's more like that.

I'm being vague because I'm trying to keep professional about it...

Anyway, I sent a note to an expert to see if she knows, otherwise I'll use the thing the expert compiled as a rough reference, though it's not perfect.

This is one of the things that internally people know, but I can't seem to pinpoint to a singular event... I hope the expert will have better reference on the subject.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
As described you could be referring to the fact 'dogs have four legs' or 'Bush caused 9/11'.

It just depends. If many people will dispute the fact, you need to source it. If you can;t source it you need to state it as opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.