• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Crushing Hearts & Black Butterfly Publishing / Hot Ink Books / Steamworks Ink

Amberley

Darkness is the key!
Registered
Reaction score
I had considered subbing to them, then heard how they actually treat their authors. They focus primarily on their best sellers and the rest are forgotten. Not sure I'd want to be under the rule of someone who isn't interested in all their authors.
Plus, their editing leaves a lot to be desired. (check out some of their recent titles, then you'll see what I mean)

JEISME

Registered
Reaction score
^ This statement is true. I've heard it time and time again.

Amberley

Darkness is the key!
Registered
Reaction score
Oh it really is!

I believe they've had quite a few author's leave them recently - a few who have a good career ahead of them - but with each departure comes a 'shunning' process, where the author's who've left are blocked, deleted and often reported to FB for spam, abuse etc.

How does a company who constantly states that they base their integrity on good professional work ethics behave so childish?

I don't know about you, but this seems rather cruel to me.

Gravity

Seen 'em come, seen 'em go
Registered
Reaction score
Once you've heard the truth, everything else is ju
Fixed it, I think

Well I feel it only fair I share what I know about Crushing Hearts and Black Butterfly (CHBB) Hot Ink Press (HIP) and their new sister add on company Vamptasy. Vamptasy I know very little about. The merger just happened. It has some worried, with good reason. That aside, Hot Ink aka HIP is an erotic sister company. Whereas CHBB primarily handles paranormal of some kind or another, but nothing ever over 100k words.

The shorts they publish they don’t pay for but the shorts they sell, they usually only charge .99 cents for. They say this is to put money back into the company. Now I recently opened a company ( we are NOT a publishing house) where I plan to do something similar with anthologies only, however those proceeds go to getting authors into conventions and stuff like that. We are considering publishing anthologies that go out in or magazine as a collection volume style thing. Anyways that’s not what matters. I know it’s a promo lots of companies do by selling work for a dollar or under. That’s their choice but that’s why they won’t pay you for them.

Their FULL MS they give 50/50 royalties on. Again keep in mind they will not accept anything above 100k, their average full run s about 60k. To me I consider that a novella not a full. Points of view though.

I am not personally a fan or their promotional graphics, for merchandise posters trailers or covers. But some of them do look nice. My favorites are generally created by the author or someone they know personally and are not in house designers. They have some decent names. One I know of I believe is going to be agented to the big 6 soon. (sidebar: Is it still too early in that merger to call them the big 5 now?)

Was hired by CHBB’s publisher this past fall as an editor when I took them 5 of their published books and pointed out errors. The head of their company acted appalled and hired me immediately without asking for credentials. I never asked for the job. She just assigned it to me as her handy little helper. Fortunately I freelance on the side. She didn’t know this. But I agreed and I edited them. This upset her other editor that she did fire. She had one other editor that she didn’t fire. She avoided speaking to and completely dropped them without comment going forward. I pity this editor but she is recovering from the insulting blow. Of the 5 I took to the publisher, SJ Davis, this editor was not listed as an editor… However yesterday I learned that SJ Davis does edit… it is SHE that runs this company. It is NOT SJ Davis that edited most of these books. She took the credit but from what I have discovered she has edited few of these books herself. Why would the publisher personally edit them anyways? They have more important things to do. So why not give credit where credit is due, even if said credit may be minimal for not much was done?

But a lot of you said that CHBB and Hip or SJ basically said she gave general non answers as to how they would handle things. And a lot of assumptions were made about twitter fb and blog tours. All I can go by is my own personal experience. In going by that, I agree with every single one of you… I wasn’t just an editor for CHBB I recently signed with them in October. Today I resigned. I’m not bitter actually I am well past that. I won’t give you the many many reasons as to why I resigned because as of yet the editor hasn’t responded in regards to my resignation. I think that’s bad business to go poo on someone in a time when I may come across as bitter.

As far as website and graphics go I am not impressed. Their trailers are one MAYBE two pictures generally floating around a screen with scrolling font. Not impressed. I contracted my own people into doing it which lead to me creating a company of such services.

As far as the skill of their authors… Their cheapest books are their worst. They are the most poorly edited. Great authors are being dismissed as lazy because of the errors brought to them by their readers. It is a writers group for writers who couldn’t publish elsewhere so they published for themselves. No outsider do I believe would find a great deal of enjoyment in the majority of their works. Now I say the majority. Some if it’s very good… I was blessed to be the editor of a book titled Revealing Hamilton. It was an awesome book that I could barely put it down. I had to re-read it more than a few times to make sure I didn’t miss something cause of how much I got hung up in some spots.

This is just my opinion of course.

All it boils down to is that I am glad I pulled my work out of their hands before it was too late. They play favorites. They dramatize, socialize and magnify things like teenagers. It didn’t take a month before I was second guessing my decision in signing with them it took less than two before I outright regretted it. I was slandered once for expressing excitement for an upcoming photo shoot I had scheduled for something I thought may be great for CHBB. After being publicly slandered I was then threatened.

But that’s all I need to say for now. I have done my research heavily since feeling weary and have moved on to more promising places. They play some dirty pool though.

FYI, I never posted this, not a word. Evidently my name got attached to someone else's post. Maybe a kind-hearted mod can fix it, please? :)

Ludens

Mostly lurking
Registered
Reaction score
FYI, I never posted this, not a word. Evidently my name got attached to someone else's post. Maybe a kind-hearted mod can fix it, please? :)

If I recall correctly, that post was intended to show AmbrosiaArts' message at #26 in a more readable font and format. AmbrosiaArts has since edited the original post, so it's no longer clear that you are quoting her, but a small part of it is preserved in the quote at #27.

Filigree

Mildly Disturbing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cranehanabooks.com
Gravity's fix-it post was #29, and still managed to avoid quotes in the revision. Some simple editing should do the trick. When I read posts around the same time period, it's obvious the original text came from AmbrosiaArts, not Gravity.

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
You posted it to make AmbrosiaArts' post #26 readable (she later changed it). I've added a quote tag for you.

Robyn M. Pierce

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.robynmariepierce.com
I was with them for a short while, and the favoritism is definitely there.

They ask their authors to basically spam-advertise for others in the group (at the very least, it's expected that everyone share posts for the "focus" authors for the week) and then promise that everyone will reciprocate. I never liked the thought of spamming, but of course did what I was asked for a few weeks, until the guilt of being Spammy McSpampants outweighed the need to follow their "advice." (Really, it was made clear that if you weren't going to share for others, no one would share for you -- a lot of good that did me, as no one really shared for me anyway.)

So despite doing what I was asked, the sales were never there for me. Meanwhile the book that released two days after mine did phenomenally because everyone shared that one around. No sour grapes here. It's great that the other author is doing well, but it's kinda lame that they don't care equally for everyone.

When I did request to be released from my contract, it took nudging on Facebook to get her to respond to the email, even though it was posted in the group that she would be in and out of her inbox the very next day to discuss covers, edits, etc. I also didn't get my edits back (I say edits, but she only made one change before having it formatted into an ARC) until a week before it was scheduled to be published, so review copies were sent out fairly late.

Overall, I'd warn everyone away from CHBB/HIP/Vamptasy Publishing.

(Unfortunately I hadn't paid much attention to the threads here before jumping in with them. Lesson learned! :))

JEISME

Registered
Reaction score
I've seen the spamming, it is horrid!

With as many books as they release, and one editor, I imagine that things are slow, and the poor ratings on amazon for editing, are correct.

Robyn, I've heard horror stories about authors leaving, or trying to leave CHBB.

Silverrosess

figuring it all out
Registered
Reaction score
Everything about the politics and the favouritism in CHBB is totally true. I joined them in fall of 2012, right when the company was new (Hahaa, I am the one who began this post after all ;D) and I must say, DON'T DO IT!!
First, I was excluded from their 'fun' in the private author Facebook group, and then they didn't include me on their website. Then I was made fun of and taunted, and reminded very much of the fifth grade. Not mature, not professional in the least, and not fun at all. After that, my manuscript was returned to me, with the woman in charge (SJ Davis) claiming it had been edited, but it had clearly not been edited at all. On top of that, when I refused to - not forcefully, I just didn't do it like everyone else did - kiss enough ass and call her 'queen', things didn't go well.

Anyways, I don't suggest this company. Unprofessional, and just plain bad. Just my words of advice and my little story for you.

Robyn M. Pierce

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.robynmariepierce.com
Wow. I'm suddenly grateful for the cruddy treatment I got. It's far more preferable to the treatment you received, Silverrosess. How unfortunate. I try to warn away anyone that asks me directly whether or not I'd recommend joining up with them, but so far no one has listened. They'll just have to learn the hard way.

At least we're away from them.

JEISME

Registered
Reaction score
They should listen, but many are fooled by the few books they have with high rankings....

Amberley

Darkness is the key!
Registered
Reaction score
From my observations on FB (yes, I admit that I silently watch the 'happenings') They are fixated on branding themselves The Leading Indie Publisher and hash-tagging #onehouseunited.

I don't know about you, but it is highly laughable, when they are nowhere near the top of the leading Indie press. They are nothing like Salt Publishing, Ellora's Cave or the like.

They also are obsessed with competing with other's who are breaking into the traditional field, and can't stand to see them succeed before them.

I watched the 'going ons' over the weekend, and was stunned with the complete unprofessional manner by one of their 'leading' author's, who was so blatantly crying out for attention. Every time another author posted something in the form of an announcement, low and behold, their performing monkey was announcing nonsense.

For someone who isn't a part of their 'leading press', it really put me off them even more.

I feel so sorry for the writer's signed to them, because quite frankly I don't think they truly understand what they've let themselves in for.

Robyn M. Pierce

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.robynmariepierce.com
I left shortly after they began the #onehouseunited nonsense. I can understand what they're trying to brand themselves as, but it just isn't true. If it were, they would work toward the success of every author associated with them.

Hopefully the writers signed with them can see them for what they are before they get too far into it or screwed over.

Leviathan

Registered
Reaction score
I had been with them over a year. I was originally signed with Vamptasy and then CHBB bought Vamptasy out after almost a year. At first things went pretty smoothly, but then as mentioned here I began to notice several problems.

1. A handful of "best sellers" got all the attention and air time. I couldn't even get anyone from CHBB to share my books or links on their fan pages.

2. Editing. In my books wasn't horrible but was so-so at best. I know some other authors it was really bad for, when they complained they were ignored.

3. cost of print books. I do various local events and conventions. For some reason the author's cost for print books between 6-9.00 per copy. When I went out on my own using Createspace my per book cost is around 3-4.00.

4. Cult like mentality. Anyone who says anything bad about them either former authors or whoever is usually attacked, threatened, blocked, etc.

When I left I tried to keep things cordial. Yet someone told SJ I was spreadling lies about them, when all I had done was told one or two people some of the reasons I left. SJ then threw a fit and then reported me to amazon for still using the same covers...even though one of the covers I had actually paid for before I had signed with them. So I had to re-do the covers which turned out for the best anyway. The new ones are much better.

Utlimately my decision to leave was more practical. I learned how to make my own covers and I found my own editors. All they really do for authors is make you a cover and do some half assed editing, but will take half your royalties. Once I had my own system in place, there was no point in splitting my royalties with anyone.

I've talked to others who have left and things seem to have gotten really silly their. They have started their own film production company...but they are only developing one authors work into anything.

A few other authors recently left or are about to leave after getting their own film agents or signing their own film deals...only to have SJ get pissy with them over it, which is stupid since she had no intention of developing their stuff anyway.

My thing was, for anything like finding out what your sales were to ordering copies it all had to go through SJ who will get to it when she is good and ready. And don't you dare email her twice asking if she's gotten to it yet. I don't like having to be at someone else's mercy just to have access to my own stuff.

She would always talk about how CHBB is becoming a powerhouse in indie publishing, but if you google them all you find is their own websites and this page LOL. So not exactly a force to be reckoned with.

Anyway, there's more, but these are the main things.

folieadeux

Registered
Reaction score
Re:

Even recently it seems their internal drama hasn't met its end yet. For several days now my feed has been filled with multiple CHBB authors posting about people having "issues" with SJ and standing up for her. I won't fault them for standing up for someone, but if there is a "cult mentality" (I believe that was the phrasing) -- which seems to be a recurring theme through several pages here -- I'd wonder if this isn't more of it manifesting.

I wouldn't submit here. Not between the continuous editing issue (which SJ previously evaded when she was responding to this thread awhile ago), and the apparent struggle that's ongoing within.