• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Vanguard Literary Agency

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pisarz

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sharppenediting.com
She's had my full in some form or another for a year. I offered her a revised version in July. She agreed to let me send the revision and I did, but I haven't had contact with her since then.

I would also be very curious if anyone has information about her. Caren Johnson posted a picture on her blog of herself and Sandy Lu at BEA. She referred to the latter as an "agent," so that and the request Honeycomb mention indicate she's still in the business . . .

Anyone?

Giant Baby

Oh, the humanity.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
She sent me a request yesterday for my full off the query, but she wants it sent after the holidays. I've got a couple of pokers in the fire right now, so that works out pretty well for me, actually.

I'm frustrated reading this because something brought her to my attention, prompting my query to her, and now for the life of me I can't remember what it was. I haven't been jotting notes beyond name, agency and query date until I've received a response with something in it worth noting. Damn.

She stated that she'd like 8 weeks before a status check but that she'd respond sooner than that. I'll update when there's something to note, but she's still in business.

honeycomb

Caroline
Registered
Reaction score
She sent me a request yesterday for my full off the query, but she wants it sent after the holidays. I've got a couple of pokers in the fire right now, so that works out pretty well for me, actually.

I'm frustrated reading this because something brought her to my attention, prompting my query to her, and now for the life of me I can't remember what it was. I haven't been jotting notes beyond name, agency and query date until I've received a response with something in it worth noting. Damn.

She stated that she'd like 8 weeks before a status check but that she'd respond sooner than that. I'll update when there's something to note, but she's still in business.

Giant Baby,

Whereever did you get that avatar? It took me a full min. to stop laughing so that I could read your posts. Anyway, she asked for me to submit at the beginning of the year as well. I hope it works for you. I'm going to give it a try and see what happens.

Giant Baby

Oh, the humanity.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sorry, Honeycomb! She asked me to submit it snail mail after the holidays, as her office will be closed. I let her know I'd be away, too. I won't even send it to her until the second week in January. (And I definitely don't want a requested full sitting in the post vacation mail pile if I can avoid it, so I'm practicing my p-word [patience] and w-word [waiting] for now.)

I'll let you know. Hopefully some of you will have good news before I get back to you!
:Thumbs:

Prawn

Writing is finite,revising infinite
Registered
Reaction score
Any news on anyone's queries to Yu? She says 8 weeks for a response. Has anyone gotten a response from her, either rejection or acceptance? Still nothing at P and E or PM, still no webpage.

Dwight Wannabe

Registered
Reaction score
In the same boat

I also was suspicious after receiving a request for partial pages.

The only known client of Ms. Lu's I could find is this woman:

http://www.kathleenkaska.com/contact.html

I emailed Ms. Kaska to ask her about her experience with Ms. Lu, who published her two trivia books eight - nine years ago.

I haven't heard back from Ms. Kaska.

Make of that what you will.

Prawn

Registered
Reaction score
I e-mailed her as well, and she ain't talkin'.

williamfromkc

I'm keeping my day job
Registered
Reaction score
I got rejected yesterday for a query I sent in three days earlier. It was a polite form email.

Prawn

Registered
Reaction score
I got an e-mail from Ms. Kaska!

She says that Sandy Yu hasn't sold any of her manuscripts but she has sent them around.

Can anyone find any news of Sandy Yu actually selling anything?

Michelle M

Registered
Reaction score
Pisarz:

I used the same email address a couple weeks ago and it went through fine. She requested a partial later that day. Perhaps her inbox if full up? I'd say try again tomorrow.

maggieuc

Registered
Reaction score
I submitted a query and she responded about 2 wks later asking for 35-40 pages, and a synopsis, which I have mailed to her. Does anyone have any updates? Has she responded to anyone past the sample chapters stage?

maggieuc

Registered
Reaction score
Hmm... I got a request for the first 25-30 pages, but... Well, to be frank, this thread hasn't exactly inspired burning confidence in me. I dunno.

Same here! If she really hasn't sold anything since 2004 it worries me! That's 4 years!!!

LiteraryChick

Registered
Reaction score
Just Wondering...

I also submitted a partial to Sandy Lu of Vanguard Literary nearly two months ago and haven't heard a thing. It seems as if she requested a lot of material all at once. Has anybody heard back from her???? Thank you...

maggieuc

Registered
Reaction score
I also submitted a partial to Sandy Lu of Vanguard Literary nearly two months ago and haven't heard a thing. It seems as if she requested a lot of material all at once. Has anybody heard back from her???? Thank you...

I'm still waiting to hear from her.

Prawn

Registered
Reaction score
She requested my full, but I am not going to send it in until I hear from someone that has had a positive experience with Yu. Has she ever sold anything? Has she ever helped anyone? So far the answer is no, and I think it's not worth the 20 bucks to mail her a full.

Dwight Wannabe

Registered
Reaction score
It's official

I also heard back from Ms. Kaska.

Same thing as the others. Sent pages to houses. No sales yet.

Deep down, y'all know the truth about this agency. It's just so hard to accept it when validation is so hard to come by in this business.

Status
Not open for further replies.