Canajan, eh?

Jaymz Connelly

Kookaburra sits in the old gum tree
Registered
Reaction score
Transplanted Canadian here. I moved to Australia 22 years ago, but held onto my Canadian citizenship (and the rest of my family is still in Canada).

I still don't get why people make a big thing of how we say about. It sounds perfectly normal to me.

As for where I set my stories... I did set one story in St Catharines, but generally it depends on what the story calls for.

Alexys

Took a wrong turn at the Pleiades
Registered
Reaction score
Obviously, they're embarassed because they all *mis*pronounce "about", and are trying to hide their shame by making fun of those of us who do it correctly. ;)

As for settings . . . I'm primarily a fantasy writer, so I don't usually do real-world settings, and when I do, they're pretty vague (no unambiguous names of real cities, towns, or provinces/states) and could be just about anywhere in North America. I think, anyway.

Kogo Shuko

Registered
Reaction score
Website
z10.invisionfree.com
I tend to write fantasy as well, but I'm going to be writing a ghost/horror story shortly, and I'm still debating if I want it to take place in Canada or Every Day America.

Emmet Cameron

Registered
Reaction score
From small town eastern Ontario, with sojourns in small town New Brunswick. Currently in the process of trying to decide what small town to set down in next. Or Boston. My cousin thinks I should move to Boston.

Last edited:

Milkshakable

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.milkshakable.com
Another Canadian here -- live in Toronto now, but grew up in New Brunswick and spent several years in Nova Scotia as well. Hoping to go back to the Maritimes at some point, but we'll see where life takes me. :)

LJD

Registered
Reaction score
Yes, Happy Thanksgiving!

Turkey dinner tonight with lots of stuffing.
And pumpkin pie. I love pumpkin pie.

Wilde_at_heart

υπείκωphobe
Registered
Reaction score
I'm Canadian too, born in Vancouver, raised in Ottawa, then spend some time in Toronto and my family is originally from the East Coast.

Have to say though, I don't set my stories in Canada specifically, preferring to keep the locations a bit generic.

TorontoGirl

Write on, write on...
Registered
Reaction score
I'm not Canadian-born but Canada has been my home since I was 9 years old. I can't imagine calling anywhere else home.

SaraP

You can't forget those you've loved
Registered
Reaction score
Juts saying Hi to all the new folks, and welcome to AW and the International District! :hi:

Michel_Cayer

Registered
Reaction score
One more Canadian noob here :) I'm in Montreal. Not to toot my own horn but Lonely Planet has just named it the 8th best city to visit in 2013.

theDolphin

Aquarius
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jenniferrockwell.com
Hi guys! :hi:

I'm actually an American living in Canada. Came up here to wed Canadian fella 12 years ago and love it. We're in the GTA in Ontario. My husband adores Montreal Michel! I've still not been, but he promises to take me sometime soon. :)

Hip-Hop-a-potamus

My rhymes are bottomless
Registered
Reaction score
Hi guys! :hi:

I'm actually an American living in Canada. Came up here to wed Canadian fella 12 years ago and love it. We're in the GTA in Ontario. My husband adores Montreal Michel! I've still not been, but he promises to take me sometime soon. :)

Hey Dolph, me too. (American, married to a Canadian for 12 years). He moved to the states to marry me, but we're back! :hi:

We're in E'Town.

theDolphin

Aquarius
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jenniferrockwell.com
Hey Dolph, me too. (American, married to a Canadian for 12 years). He moved to the states to marry me, but we're back! :hi:

We're in E'Town.

How fun!! So we're actually pretty close, too. That's pretty cool.

My husband's a big genealogy buff as well. Working on a non-fiction book about early Canadian immigrants, as a matter of fact! Sounds like we may have a few things in common!

Thanks for saying hi! :D

Hip-Hop-a-potamus

My rhymes are bottomless
Registered
Reaction score
How fun!! So we're actually pretty close, too. That's pretty cool.

My husband's a big genealogy buff as well. Working on a non-fiction book about early Canadian immigrants, as a matter of fact! Sounds like we may have a few things in common!

Thanks for saying hi! :D

Oops....sorry E'Town for me being Edmonton. Not QUITE that close. What's E'Town there so I don't confuzzle any more Ontarians? :D

theDolphin

Aquarius
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jenniferrockwell.com
Ha! You know, I probably should've known that. I think I was thinking of Etobicoke for some reason, which is right outside Toronto, but honestly I think I should've known that. So don't worry, you're only confusing a transplanted American. haha. :)

Hip-Hop-a-potamus

My rhymes are bottomless
Registered
Reaction score
Ha! You know, I probably should've known that. I think I was thinking of Etobicoke for some reason, which is right outside Toronto, but honestly I think I should've known that. So don't worry, you're only confusing a transplanted American. haha. :)

Duh! We even have friends in Etobicoke. I shoulda known that.
;)

JDMorgan

Learning More As Life Goes On
Registered
Reaction score
Hey! Yay Canadians! There's a few of us now aren't there!
Currently in Streetsville, born in Brampton, lived in the GTA most of my life although was in Kingston for two dreadful years with the ex. *shudders*

ereadergold

Registered
Reaction score
I never said "eh" until I moved to Alberta from Quebec 33 years ago, within 3 years I was saying "eh" regularly.

Then 11 years ago I moved to Honolulu Hawaii and within 2 years I was pronouncing the last letter of the alphabet as "zee" and not correctly as "zed".

So I like to tell people that I went from "eh" to "zee"!

:)

Bill