Not open for further replies.

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Well, I've made it pretty clear I don't admire him as an actor or as someone who selects his roles well. While I liked Speed, The Matrix, and A Scanner Darkly, I think his best role was among his first, in Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure. It's still charming, although the clothes look pretty ridiculous. (And he was adorable in that stupid-but-earnest mode.)

It's a shame I don't feel about really fine actors as I do about Keanu. But Phillip Seymour Hoffman and Sean Penn never star in any of my daydreams.

Renner's getting quite the following. You're not the only woman at AW who's an admirer.

The Kid and I just realized something amusing. You know the Half-Plus-Seven 'rule' about how different in ages two people in a romantic relationship can be? (Half the older person's age, plus seven, is the youngest the younger person can be.) We now overlap on a four-year span!

Of course this rule is one that can be broken when it works for a couple, like Russ and Pandora. Or me and Garrett Hedlund.

Maryn, auditioning Keanu's replacements

mario_c

Your thoughts are not real...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.mariocaiti.com
Now Jeremy Renner and Keanu Reeves in the same movie...that would be awesome.

So I got my first musician gig - I mean my own gig - since the 90s! It's Monday night, which means I have mondo homework to do. Tuesday is my NYC writers' group, Wednesday I have to finish my motion graphics audition piece...basically I'll see you all Thursday. P's out!

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Mario, how wonderful! Also, how busy. See you Thursday, when I'm buying lunch.

Maryn, happy for you

Komnena

In Honor of Peter Tomich,USS Utah
Registered
Reaction score
I had a very strange dream last night. Hubby,Roomie and I were all sleeping in one room as well as one additional person. Barney Rubble. Yes, Barney Rubble of the Flintstones. Anyone care to interpret that one for me?

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Komnena, I just love it! Did he appear animated, with a black line around a two-dimensional person, or was he more like he's played in movies? And is he really as good-natured and dumb as he seems?

Maryn, seeking inside information

Komnena

Registered
Reaction score
Animated but not with a black line. I couldn't tell his personality because he was asleep.

Russ Mars

Interesting little planet you've got here.
Registered
Reaction score
So I got my first musician gig - I mean my own gig - since the 90s! It's Monday night, which means I have mondo homework to do. Tuesday is my NYC writers' group, Wednesday I have to finish my motion graphics audition piece...basically I'll see you all Thursday. P's out!
But he could play a guitar just like ringin' a bell...Go! Go! Johnny B. Goode!

Ha! That sure dates me.

Congrats, Mario!

Russ Mars

Registered
Reaction score
I had a very strange dream last night. Hubby,Roomie and I were all sleeping in one room as well as one additional person. Barney Rubble. Yes, Barney Rubble of the Flintstones. Anyone care to interpret that one for me?
Interpretation...hmm, let's see...Barney Rubble...the Flintstones...you were stoned?

Russ Mars

Registered
Reaction score
Was it Smokey Robinson who posed the question "What is it good for? Absolutely nuthin!"
That song, War, was first recorded by The Temptations, but it was Edwin Starr who had the big hit with it in 1970, probably the best remembered version. Bruce Springsteen covered it, too, but not Smokey that I know of.

How curious it is that Clear Channel Communications, the largest owner/operator of radio stations in the U.S., placed the song on a list of music inappropriate for airplay after the Twin Towers were attacked on Sept. 11, 2001, and distributed the list to over 1,200 of their radio stations. Gee, I wonder who they're in bed with.

But, actually, it makes perfect sense. We can't have Americans running around singing anti-war songs when the military industrial complex has a war to wage, now can we? No, no, no, that would just be counterproductive.

Last edited:

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I suggest everybody read themselves a bit of Carl Sandberg today, specifically "I am the grass."

Maryn, hat off

mario_c

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.mariocaiti.com
Hope everyone had a wonderful holiday. Mine wasn't what I thought it would be, but I took those lemons and made a nice meringue. And the fun is not over yet... :rolleyes:

Trevor Bruhn

Registered
Reaction score
Greets from Mobridge, South Dakota. Planes and buses halfway back, now to drive my favorite 2-lane blacktop (US 12) the rest of the way home, from Sitting Bull's grave (here) to the wet side of Mt. Rainier (there). What I really want to write, after practicing on erotica, is a kind of book-lover's travelogue. Will track Pirsig on his motorcycle from here to Miles City, tarry in Kathleen Norris' Lemmon, SD and really dawdle in Jonathan Raban's Bad Land.
The Temptations! Thanks, Russ, I gave their albums heavy playtime back in the day. "Papa was a rollin' stone/wherever he hung his hat was his home." So, M, we know where you go for signature lines, now;). Will check in now and then to see if Barney Rubble 'fessed up to what he was doing in conjugal dreams.

Trevor, out on the American steppes

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Enjoy the drive, Trevor.

Yesterday Mr. Maryn moved the turntable--yes, we have a working turntable!--to hook it to the speakers for the TV/home theatre. Then we got into the vinyl. Man, sometimes my taste sucked--so much 'light' rock! Ugh.

We also discovered something that's probably typical of people who once had roommates and siblings move in and out: We have albums we know we owned which are absent, and we have albums we never would have bought, ownership unknown.

I should get some Temptations, though. I have been remiss!

In other news of importance to me and no one else, we still have no AC. The low overnight was above 80, and it's now 89 inside the house. I may have to go someplace to prevent melt-down.

Maryn, sipping ice water steadily

mario_c

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.mariocaiti.com
You are a trooper for resisting the AC, Maryn. I am heading out tomorrow where Home Depot will no doubt hose me within an inch of my life, but what else is new? And yay for vinyl!

Have a nice vacation, Trevor.

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I was also very clean, three showers yesterday. Damp skin and hair makes a big difference, and I prefer clean water to sweat. And my love of Dr. Bronner's Peppermint Castile Soap is renewed. Your skin feels cool, like your mouth does when you eat mint. You just have to be careful not to use a lot on personal areas.

Making a big decision here--do I go walking after the AC guy finished, having missed the cool of the day, or stay home and either garden (pulling weeds) or scrub and wax the kitchen floor, which shows evidence of sticky home-made lemon sorbet?

Maryn, glad she doesn't have to make any tougher calls

mario_c

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.mariocaiti.com
Hi Beatrix! Sadly, no pics. If the gig would have happened it would have been forbidden by the contract, but I had my camcorder stowed by default. So the gig didn't happen because the clients booked me for the wrong night - their party was Sunday, I was invited to play on Monday. Anyway, when I headed out to the market to busk then my camcorder battery crapped out. I can't do anything right.

But now I'm home, and I ended up getting one of those tall fans with programmable cooling at BedBath@Bey0nd. My home office room is cold, and that makes me happy (I'll regret typing that this January). So a transaction today did not end up with me getting hosed - that's a change of pace.

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, man, Mario--how disappointing! Except for the fan.

The Kid is fan-shopping. Can you share a link to what you bought, since you seem to like it? I wouldn't mind one more decent fan in the house myself, either.

Maryn, who likes real air

Trevor Bruhn

Registered
Reaction score
Perservere: cooler weather is heading east! That's the report from Harlowton, Montana tonight. Yesterday I ended in Bowman, N.D., where I chatted with a librarian about my project. She said she and her father were huge fans of Zen & the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance, and the cafe where Pirsig et al. cooled off in chapter 7 is now a chinese rest. at 88 S. Main in Bowman. Today I ate lunch at the Jersey Lily in Ingomar, MT, a fine bean and ham soup, two bowls full for $3 (very light supper tonight). Picking up some good titles to follow up for US 12 color.
Noticing the focus on grass with certain parties, I must mention one title from my list: The Grass Dancers by Susan Power. Per the dust jacket, she graduated from that law school in Cambridge, MA, is a member of the Standing Rock Sioux Nation in the Dakotas, and would rather write stories about her culture than do mergers and acquistions. Yay (not even knowing if it is a good story, tho a 5min browse looked promising.

Trevor, pulling up the blankets and not uttering the Starks motto about Winter.

Komnena

Registered
Reaction score
Cool weather is here. Hope Maryn is cooler now. Sorry about the gig,Mario.
Roomie swapped me a Kindle for the totes I got for his clothes so now I own two e readers. Next in the acquisition queue is a Nook.

Last edited:

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Komnena, what e-reader did you have first, a Sony? Pretty soon you'll be able to just rack 'em all up.

It's 54 and raining. What happened to freakin' June?

It's amusing, in a way, because when Mr. Maryn and I attempt to have a serious discussion on whether we should or will leave this house when he retires (instead of the not-quite-serious discussions in which we have a summer home, a winter palace, etc.), we agree that the weather here isn't all that bad. Yet I sure manage to complain about it a lot. Sorry!

I saw something for the first time ever--a short story I wrote was recommended by someone I don't know at Yahoo Answers. Cool! It was deleted soon after, since it's not suitable for all ages, but I was still all squiggly about it.

Maryn, socking down French Vanilla tea

Status
Not open for further replies.