What YA book are you reading RIGHT NOW?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CaseyMcG

Registered
Reaction score
Really? She must be so excited, there's so much buzz about her book and it's well deserved buzz as well! If she sees this bravo. I can't wait to read her next book!

dystophil

Wielder of the Literary Lead Pipe
Registered
Reaction score
Website
alexharrow.blogspot.com
Did the impossible and scored an ARC of Erin Morganstern's The Night Circus. Just finished it a few hours ago and I'm still giddy. Lovely story! Now off to re-read 1987.

You know the author is a member of this board, right? Has been since long before her book deal. She's lovely. :LilLove:

Really? She must be so excited, there's so much buzz about her book and it's well deserved buzz as well! If she sees this bravo. I can't wait to read her next book!

She's lovely and her book is fabulous. I think I may have to re-read it around its release date on September 13 :D

vfury

Hearts the furrily challenged.
Registered
Reaction score
Did the impossible and scored an ARC of Erin Morganstern's The Night Circus. Just finished it a few hours ago and I'm still giddy. Lovely story! Now off to re-read 1987.

You know the author is a member of this board, right? Has been since long before her book deal. She's lovely. :LilLove:

She's lovely and her book is fabulous. I think I may have to re-read it around its release date on September 13 :D

Adding to the praise. ;) Her book is amazing (begged her UK pub for an ARC) and she is lovely!

Momento Mori

Tired and Disillusioned
Registered
Reaction score
I've almost finished GLOW by Amy Kathleen Ryan and although there are some great ideas in there (infertility, religious extremism, sexual oppression) it's simply not long enough to develop any of them in anything other than a short-hand way. There's a lot of telling rather than showing, it suffers from name-on-a-page syndrome so I don't care about supporting characters and the plot's pretty simplistic. As a result, it's an okay read rather than a great one and I'm not sure I care enough to stick with the rest of the planned trilogy.

Next up for me is probably going to be LOST CHRISTMAS by David Logan.

MM

Marika

Registered
Reaction score
I just started Supernaturally by Kiersten White. I hope it's as good as Paranormalcy was.

Smish

Reads more than she writes.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I've been reading a book on the craft called Immediate Fiction, after several AWers recommended it in another thread (since plotting has always been my biggest problem). It's really good/helpful.

adktd2bks

addicted to books
Registered
Reaction score
Just finished Shine by Lauren Myracle. It took me longer to get into it than I wanted, but once I did it was like, BAM! I finished the whole thing in one night. I did know whodunnit about half way in, but I still enjoyed the ride! Recommended.

Kitty Pryde

i luv you giant bear statue
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Just finished Trapped. Brilliant premise (seven kids trapped in their high school during an epic weeklong super blizzard) but turned out kind of blah. I guess I don't like the structure of the thriller novel (thrilling premise, FECKING NOTHING HAPPENS FOR 200 PAGES, 30 page thrilling conclusion). And since it was told from a sort of stereotypical disinterested teenage boy POV we didn't really even get a good emotional picture of what was going on. The kids could have done way more stuff, like attempt to dig out, look in the janitor's closet for a flashlight, check the office for emergency equipment, or attempt to dig themselves out, but they mostly just sat around. Ah well.

And read The Secret of The Dread Forest. As the third book in a series about elves, I was HIGHLY disappointed when our heroine fell in love with a dreamy dangerous vampire who could probably rip her into tiny pieces of kibble. But then I was EXTREMELY PLEASED when it turned out that Scary Sexy Vampire was actually her 300 year old uncle hahahaha.

PollyAnna

Keepin' it Real-ish
Registered
Reaction score
I am giving up on R1pple. I can't take the MC any longer: "I know I'm stunningly beautiful--that's the thing about being a SIREN, you can't HELP IT--but that doesn't do you any good when you might accidentally DROWN your friends. So I'll just have no friends." <insert brooding stare into the ocean> and then: "Actually, maybe I WILL have friends! And another boyfriend (I won't drown THIS one).... but, you know, I'll probably still be moody about it..." GAH!

Kyla Laufreyson

Oops
Registered
Reaction score
I'm reading Anna and the French Kiss over again. Love it just as much as I did the first time.

After this, it'll be on to Lost Voices by Sarah Porter and I'll have to declare how that goes when I get there.

Archie1989

Is Published!!!
Registered
Reaction score
Finished Delirium yesterday> very well-written and now I can't wait for the sequel.

Started Hush, Hush today> liking it so far.

Katallina

Registered
Reaction score
Website
kathyanncoleman.blogspot.com
Finished Nevermore today. I have to say, I am disappointed. *sigh* I'm not sure whether it is my lack of knowledge on Poe that was the issue, or whether the writing was just too wordy for me at parts. I found myself skimming, which is really unusual for me.

There are things the book got right: I loved how the friendship / eventual romance between Isobel and Varen was slowly crafted. I really cared about them and wanted to see them together as a couple. Which is probably a good chunk of the reason why the last hundred pages or so where they were separated nearly put me to sleep. I'm a big fan of keeping your hero / heroine together as much as possible and this is one of the most jarring separations I have ever read.

It's funny, I thought what I put in my spoiler in my last post would be what bugged me the most, but the way she wrote those last hundred or so pages dropped my interest in what was going on so much that there were times that I was not sure I would finish.

On the plus side, she did do a great job with the parents. Yet again, I must give credit where credit is due.

I will likely read the sequel despite my complaints. I guess, on the plus side, that at least I'm not going to be losing sleep waiting for it.

On a happier note, my Chapters order came in. So now in addition to Perfect Chemistry, Delirium and Keturah and Lord Death, I also have This Lullaby, Just Listen, and The Truth About Forever (I got a Sarah Dessen boxset; great sale price so I broke my rule about buying multiple books by an author I haven't read. Hopefully it goes better this time.), Love Story (Jennifer Echols), Beauty (Robin McKinley), The DUFF (Kody Keplinger), Hex Hall (Rachel Hawkins), The Boyfriend List (E. Lockhart( and Stolen (Lucy Christopher).

On one hand, having so much choice is fun. On the other (as usual) it leaves me totally overwhelmed. :D

adktd2bks

addicted to books
Registered
Reaction score
On one hand, having so much choice is fun. On the other (as usual) it leaves me totally overwhelmed. :D

I know this feeling. :)

I started Blue Noon, #3 in the Midnighters series by Scott Westerfeld. Wanted to finish up this series quickly, but it looks a bit longer than the other two.

bertrigby

Dysfunctional dystopian
Registered
Reaction score
I read Delirium last week. Interestingly it's being pushed as an adult book here in the UK (included on the front tables along with adult deals and included in adult paperback chart). I loved the writing but the story was so bland and predictable (esp. as I've read a few dystopians recently). Nevertheless I would probably pick up a sequel.

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
My goal is to finish The Treasure Map of Boys today because I grabbed six books from the library. I only meant to renew the one, but there the teen section was, so I decided to browse, and next thing I knew, I had five more

Rhoda Nightingale

Vampire Junkie
Registered
Reaction score
Reading a vampire anthology called Teeth, edited by Ellen Datlow and Terri Windling--Datlow being my hands-down favorite horror anthologist, so this should be good.

Eisen

Registered
Reaction score
I'm reading Tiger's Curse. I've been on page 137 for about a month since I got side-tracked and read Laini Taylor's Lips Touch and then Shannon Hale's Book of a Thousand Days - both are very well written and un-put-downable. So back to Tiger's Curse. But I just bought a pile of new books from Border's going-out-of-business sale...

Kitty Pryde

i luv you giant bear statue
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Just finished Before I Fall. Great writing and hard to put down, but it felt sooooo long (120K in fact)!

Arclight

The Dragon's Daughter
Registered
Reaction score
I'm about one-third of the way through Fallen. I'm finding it really hard to get into. The characters and plot are just not grabbing me. Maybe it's because I read spoilers for the whole plot (the whole series, in fact).

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Reading Enter Three Witches by Caroline B. Cooney. It's based off MacBeth. I'm 10 pages in and the POV has switched 5 times (four different people). I'll give it a little longer, but I don't think I can stay focused if the rapid-fire POV changes keep up

KateSmash

this was a triumph
Registered
Reaction score
Just blew through Posses by Gretchen McNeil in one sitting. Blown away doesn't even begin to describe it. Next time someone asks what a strong female character is, I'm going to point them straight at Bridget Liu.

This is the fresh perspective I was looking for.

eyeblink

Barbara says hi
Registered
Reaction score
Since it's just arrived from the library and there are three reservations behind me, I'm going to start on John Green's Paper Towns.

This was the second John Green novel to be published in the UK (in 2010) though in my last visit to Waterstone's I did see US import copies of An Abundance of Katherines and Will Grayson, Will Grayson.

Winterturn

Scribble, scribble.
Registered
Reaction score
I'm about halfway through The Bride's Farewell by Meg Rosoff. I read How I Live Now a few years ago and was enjoyed it, up until I got really annoyed by what I felt was a deus ex machina moment towards the end. But I'm really loving The Bride's Farewell. It's very different which shows what a versatile writer Rosoff is, and Pell, the main character, is wonderfully independent and stubborn.

Status
Not open for further replies.