Status
Not open for further replies.

bsolah

AW's Resident Commie
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.benjaminsolah.com
I've been having this thought, it is perhaps vain, or stupid, or lame or whatever you might want to call it but I thought I'd put it out there.

I want to put all my old short stories, poems, flash fiction and some notable blog posts into a book, mainly for nice copy for myself, and then sell copies to family and friends.

This doesn't include stuff I'm working on now that I plan on submitting. I'll probably call it "Unpublished works of Benjamin Solah: Volume 1 (2003-2009) and tidy up some of the older short stories to make them read better but no major editing.

It'll look cool, and I can show people and I don't plan on wanting to sell it to all and sundry, just family and friends.

Stupid idea?

colealpaugh

"Bear trumps Elephants!"
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.colealpaugh.com
Well, the 'selling' part kinda sticks out, but I can't see anything stupid in 'binding' your work. IMHO, this is the perfect example of what POD should be used for.

And, just to ad, are blogs and Facebook somehow not vain? I have both...eh, mostly just to show off the kids...

colealpaugh

"Bear trumps Elephants!"
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.colealpaugh.com
Well it wouldn't be selling in that I make a profit, more like family and friends would just pay the cost of the POD site printing the book.

Yeah, that's really just a private matter between you and your family/friends and isn't really part of what you were asking...it just stuck out to me 'cause I'm constantly giving stuff away. I'll do a friend's photo session with full studio lights and never bother to cash the check if they give me one.

It's why I'm usually broke.

BardSkye

Barbershoppin' Harmony Whore
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I don't see it as being any more vain than displaying a picture of yourself and your kids on your desk or putting up an award on the wall. It's something you put a lot of work into.

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
At Lulu you can produce standard book-sized objects limited to private distribution controlled by YOU, and not entered into the real "publishing stream" for minimal expense. I've done this to produce what are essentially manuscripts in book form for a couple of friends. No stigma attached, no harm done. I'd recommend using them, if that's what you want to do.

caw

aadams73

A Work in Progress
Registered
Reaction score
I say go for it. I don't think it's vain, stupid or lame at all. Lulu would be perfect for what you want, and it's not like you have unrealistic expectations. Some people think they'll make a zillionty bucks going this route.

TrixieLox

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
LuLu's great for this kinda stuff (but yeah, with colealpaugh, would never ask fam and friends to pay for the 'privilege' - tee hee - to read my work. In fact, I'd be paying them to read it. But each to their own).

Status
Not open for further replies.