• Read this stickie before posting.

• In order to reduce the number of new members requesting a Beta reader before they're really ready for one, we've instituted a 50 post requirement before you can start a thread seeking a Beta reader.
    • You can still volunteer to Beta for someone else; just please don't request someone to Beta for you until you're more familiar with the community and our members.

Beta Wanted for Cozy Mystery, willing to trade!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Specval

Registered
Reaction score
I've got a 73,500 word Mystery novel that I've recently written. It's not a James Patterson style mystery more a Janet Evanovich style. Not very gory and only minimal language.

I keep calling it a first draft but I have gone through it 3 times to remove continuity errors, spelling/grammer errors and all many, many adverbs. I guess this is a first draft that I'm allowing others to read.

My concerns for the book are story flow, advanced grammer, and if I should end it where I have or continue on. Ideally I'm looking for a beta to critique my work line by line and if they think I should continue on with the story, some ideas would be greatly appreciated. I would like a very detailed and constructive critique. If you're the type to just say "This part sucks." as opposed to "This part sucks, you should consider doing XYZ." We might not get along....

I would love to Beta a book in return. I've never done it but I have no problem being honest and with a little guidance I'm sure I can give you exactly what you're looking for.

Thanks for reading and if you have any additional questions about my novel feel free to ask.

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
So with four posts here under your belt, you hope to find someone willing to do a line-by-line critique?

I'm not a nasty person, I swear I'm not, but that's asking for a lot, having given nothing.

There are, of course, people here who are generous with their time and expertise, but a best course of action might well be to become a part of this community. Once your are, the pool from which your beta readers come is not defined by selfless generosity.

A lot of the people who could really be of assistance are simply not going to give someone they don't know that much of their time. We've been burned too many times by someone who asked for a huge favor, promising to give it back or pay it forward, received what they wanted, and disappeared without so much as a thank you.

Maryn, sure you don't want to be one of those

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
It would be a better idea to mosey over to Share Your Work and crit a few pieces in the MTS forum. That way, people get to know you and how you read. Then once you've got your 50 posts, others will be far more willing to help you out.

It's not that we're hostile to newbies, it's just that we're a community. And as Maryn said, many of us have been burnt before.

So welcome to AW, join in.

Unimportant

No COVID yet. Still masking.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
My concerns for the book are story flow, advanced grammer, and if I should end it where I have or continue on. Ideally I'm looking for a beta to critique my work line by line and if they think I should continue on with the story, some ideas would be greatly appreciated. I would like a very detailed and constructive critique. If you're the type to just say "This part sucks." as opposed to "This part sucks, you should consider doing XYZ." We might not get along....

I would love to Beta a book in return. I've never done it but I have no problem being honest and with a little guidance I'm sure I can give you exactly what you're looking for.

Specval, I'm going to echo the other posters' advice. Share Your Work is a great place to get to know people and to become known. But, more importantly, I think that you'd probably find it really useful to write some critiques so that you have an idea of what it entails. It's terrific you're offering to beta-read a book in return, but if you've never done it you may not be aware of what you're committing to!

Of course, some people are very fast at reading and critiquing, and if you're one of them it'll be a piece of cake. Hopefully you're not like me: slooooow. I read a book. Then I think about it. Then I read it again and make notes about structure and plot and consistency and flow. Then I read it again and do a line-by-line critique of descriptions that seems odd, sentences that areincorrectly structured, POV slips, etc. For a really excellent, polished book that's at the pro level, it'll take me 6 - 10 hours. For a book that has a fair number of structural problems and some prose issues such as incorrect punctuation or sentence structure, I've spent 50 - 100 hours. It's a heck of a committment and a heck of a time sink. You probably want to figure out where you sit on the beta-continuum before you leap in and beta an entire book!

Specval

Registered
Reaction score
Wow, I'm sorry, I didn't realize you had such a problem with newbies "burning" others. I guess I should have expected it, this is the internet after all. I just posted this because it's where I am in my editing.

I will take your suggestions and contribute more each day. If someone, out of the kindness of their heart, does want to critique my book. I would be willing to do Chapter swap so I don't get anything unless they get something.

As for being a Beta, I read the stickies and I do realize what a time commitment it is. As of right now my WIP is shelved until I get some feed back and I'm unemployed. Now may be the perfect time for me to be a Beta.

Thanks for the feedback and please don't hold this post against me ;)

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Absolutely not held against you. We see several such posts a week, occasionally several in a single day, from people who are too new to see how it all works.

Coffee's ready. Want a cup?

Maryn, pleased to meet you

Status
Not open for further replies.