• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

[Agency] Objective Entertainment

JenWriter

Word Count Slayer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
jenhayley.com
vvgooding - CONGRATS! How exciting! Man, this is the third person on here I've heard about getting an offer in the past couple of days! What a great week for AWers. :)

IceCreamEmpress

Hapless Virago
Registered
Reaction score
Elizabeth Jote has had my full since June 13th. Should I send a friendly reminder her way or leave it at that? :Huh:

Did you mean this to be in the Objective Entertainment thread?

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Presumin' so: moved.

Barber

Timing is everything...
Registered
Reaction score
Elizabeth Jote has had my full since June 13th. Should I send a friendly reminder her way or leave it at that? :Huh:

I second the notion. Brendan's had my full since May 6, but he's such a perfect agent for the project I thought I'd seek others' opinions before I drop a nudge.

Is four-and-a-half months call for a status report? I've heard of MSs being out for six months, or even a year sometimes.

Thanks in advance for any advice :)

Mythica

Expert Gerbil Wrangler
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.courtneyallisonmoulton.com
Yeah, I would nudge, too.

Elizabeth is really super nice and gave me absolutely invaluable advice for my book. We spoke on the phone and corresponded several times, and her insight was fantastic. She was so positive and smart, and had several other people read my book before she called. I haven't heard from her since July, so I'm assuming she ultimately decided to pass on my project even though she never said no (I just never heard back from her after our last email, which is kinda strange, but I understand she's very busy) but I feel I have a much stronger book now with her help, so I've started querying again.

That's my experience with OE, and they seem very credible.

clarkbrother

Wait... I'm thinking.
Registered
Reaction score
Emailed query and first 7 pages to Elizabeth Jote on June 18th. She responded and requested the first 3 chapters. Emailed the chapters to her on July 2nd... Still no response. Not holding my breath. Fortunately, others agents seem interested as well.

Barber

Timing is everything...
Registered
Reaction score
Two months ago I nudged an agent at OE who's had my full for six months. No response. When do I assume rejection and query someone else within the agency?

It's probably a dumb and horrible to do ever, huh?

Still, there were two other prospective agents in the agency, and I grow anxious. :)

(Or do I nudge again?)

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
According to Nathan Bransford you politely nudge once a month until they reply

Barber

Timing is everything...
Registered
Reaction score
Cool tip. Since I missed last month, I should nudge twice :D

Thanks, waylander.

Barber

Timing is everything...
Registered
Reaction score
My story might make you feel better...

I followed the above advice and nudged again. He replied telling me an intern read and loved my MS and that he was psyched to read it. He said it was near the top of his queue and we'll talk soon--which I interpret as a few more months, LOL. But that's fine.

So don't give up yet :)

Dr. Destouches

Registered
Reaction score
I've had some dealings with Elizabeth Jote. She is a wonderful, intelligent, human being and a dedicated agent. If I hadn't already had an agent when she contacted me, I would have surely signed with her.

The Gunshark

Registered
Reaction score
Major Red Flag

I'm going to have to take this agency down a few pegs. When I queried them, they tried to pull some sort of Self-Publishing angle and may be associated with iUniverse and AuthorHouse.

Here's my correspondence, omitting my query.
---

[FONT=&quot]Thank you so much for contacting us at Objective Entertainment. We have reviewed your material and we would like to refer you to one of our Publishers who we trust and believe will be able to serve you best. In order to do this I need your permission and the following information so they can either contact you via Phone or Email. The following information we need is if you would like to receive their newsletter and special offers. I think this is an amazing opportunity for you. [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Please reply with the information we asked so that we can get you that one step closer to getting your work published![/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Best,[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]---[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]My response:[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Thanks for your reply. May I ask who exactly this publisher is? I wish to do my homework on this properly.[/FONT]
---
[FONT=&quot]We work with Iuniverse and Autho House. Iuniverse has the number 5 book this week on the NY Times Best Seller List!
---
2nd response:
[/FONT] [FONT=&quot]Here's the thing: Why is your agency referring authors like me to a Print-On-Demand/Self-Publishing group that we would have to pay for?
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]---[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Because we believe they would be the most beneficial for you at this point in time. Then you would come back to us after the sales starting racking up and we go major! This is the best way for an author to get their work out their. One of their books is number 5 on this weeks upcoming NY Times Best Seller list. So we believe they can help our potential future clients immensely.[/FONT]
---

My suggestion to everyone: Avoid like the plague.

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Ick. And since AuthorHouse owns iUniverse, that's doubly slimy.

Gunshark, if you haven't already, please forward the exchange to Writer Beware for their files.

HippieGirl

Registered
Reaction score
Tracey Ravenelle - Objective Entertainment

Hi. I queried Elizabeth Jote and just received this note back:

Thank you so much for contacting us at Objective Entertainment. We have reviewed your material and we would like to refer you to one of our Publishers who we trust and believe will be able to serve you best. In order to do this I need your permission and the following information so they can either contact you via Phone or Email. The following information we need is if you would like to receive their newsletter and special offers. I think this is an amazing opportunity for you.

Please reply with the information we asked so that we can get you that one step closer to getting your work published!

Best,

Tracey Ravenelle
Objective Entertainment

I am a little wary of this - First of all, I sent a letter, not my manuscript, so what exactly does this mean? They just want to know if they can put me on a list for a newsletter or is this a real referral to a publisher?

Anyone ever deal with Tracey or have any idea of what to do?

Giant Baby

Oh, the humanity.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
What are they doing? There's another report from a writer about this in the Objective Entertainment thread (where I'm sure this will soon be ported).

Ian Kleinert's got the "Deal of the Day" today on PM- the autobiography of Jerry West- that went to Little, Brown for a reported seven friggin' figures! An issue to referring authors to a service came up last year, too, as I recall.

They can't be strapped for cash, if their PM report can be trusted. Why do they keep doing such wierd things???

ssnowe

Registered
Reaction score
Hi. I queried Elizabeth Jote and just received this note back:

Thank you so much for contacting us at Objective Entertainment. We have reviewed your material and we would like to refer you to one of our Publishers who we trust and believe will be able to serve you best. In order to do this I need your permission and the following information so they can either contact you via Phone or Email. The following information we need is if you would like to receive their newsletter and special offers. I think this is an amazing opportunity for you.

Please reply with the information we asked so that we can get you that one step closer to getting your work published!

Best,

Tracey Ravenelle
Objective Entertainment

I am a little wary of this - First of all, I sent a letter, not my manuscript, so what exactly does this mean? They just want to know if they can put me on a list for a newsletter or is this a real referral to a publisher?

Anyone ever deal with Tracey or have any idea of what to do?

Looks like they are going to refer to you Authorhouse or IUniverse (per an earlier response).

Sorry. :(

Jackson76

Registered
Reaction score
"My suggestion to everyone: Avoid like the plague."

I don't know if anyone should be avoiding them like the plague given that they seem to sell a lot of books, often for large sums. They definitely seem to be pretty successful.

I have had correspondence with their senior agents and they seem to be very professional. Maybe this Tracey woman, who isn't an agent listed on their website (probably an intern), is just is trying to help and doesn't understand the protocol. I wouldn't be so easily offended.