• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Marianne Strong Literary Agency / Marianne Strong & Associates

Emualde

Registered
Reaction score
I recently won the 5th GLA contest and was awarded a 10 page critic by Roseanne Wells. She sent me a rejection but with some details about what bothered her which I highly appreciated.

SeymourPats

Registered
Reaction score
Roseanne Wells has had my partial for a few months now. She has been nothing but professional, enthusiastic and courteous thus far.

Lydia Sharp

for the love of love
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lydiasharp.blogspot.com
Not sure why I didn't chime in on this earlier (been busy, I guess).

I e-queried Roseanne Wells on 8/23 for my contemp YA novel and received a confirmation of receipt the same day.

She asked for a partial on 8/31 to be sent via email attachment. What impressed me about her request was that it was friendly and personalized. She'd even mentioned that she'd been reading my online book reviews (which I had not mentioned at all in the query).

On 9/17 she upgraded the partial to a full, eager to see what happens next in the story. So far she has been nothing but professional, has kept the lines of communication open, and has worked more quickly than the average agent.

In addition to the contest she was just involved in on the GLA blog, she is also going to be a guest speaker at WriteOnCon later this month, September 27.

Barbara R.

Old Hand in the Biz
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.barbararogan.com

When it come to an agency agreement, shouldn't both parties have something to lose if there is never a sale?

They do. The agent's capital is measured in time. If she undertakes representation of a book that doesn't sell, her time goes uncompensated.

That said, most of the agents I've known charge writers for expenses, but they take it out of the first money earned for the writer. If they don't sell the book, they eat those expenses.

Barbara

Idea Tailor

Registered
Reaction score
But... what about sales?

Lydia, thank you for some definitive information on M Strong agency. According to LinkedIn, Roseanne has been an agent there for about 16 months and her profile says she was a proofreader before that. In part, she says, "I am also actively expanding the agency's fiction list and looking out for strong literary fiction, YA, sci-fi (most subgenres included), fantasy, and mysteries (more Sherlock Holmes than cozy mysteries)."

My question is about the "actively expanding" part.

Roseanne appears enthusiastic (as is Diana) however can someone on these boards who has knowledge of / experience w/publishing talk about how likely it is, especially in this market, that these young agents can make a significant sale when Strong agency does not already have such connections established? I say the latter because they did not offer evidence of such in reply to a query (as suggested in Jenna's Sharks & Scams) and I have not found any in my research. I don't know how hard it is to move from non-fiction to fiction, but I wonder about being tied up for a year....

Thanks.

JerseyGirl1962

I heart Malamutes! :-)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
My question is about the "actively expanding" part.

Roseanne appears enthusiastic (as is Diana) however can someone on these boards who has knowledge of / experience w/publishing talk about how likely it is, especially in this market, that these young agents can make a significant sale when Strong agency does not already have such connections established? I say the latter because they did not offer evidence of such in reply to a query (as suggested in Jenna's Sharks & Scams) and I have not found any in my research. I don't know how hard it is to move from non-fiction to fiction, but I wonder about being tied up for a year....

Thanks.

Idea,

I don't know about the "actively expanding" part, but I was kind of confused where you say the Strong agency doesn't have connections established in the publishing industry.

On Preditors & Editors:

Marianne Strong Literary Agency: $ A literary agency.

I'm sure you already know that the $ sign means they've made sales, which means the agency already has connections.

As far as junior agents go (and I don't have specific info on this agency, sorry), from what I've learned on these boards, learning the ropes from the senior agents is how the junior agents get those connections.

Is that what you were looking for? :)

Nancy

SeymourPats

Registered
Reaction score
Has anyone heard from Roseanne Wells lately? I haven't heard back from her on my manuscript. I wonder if she hated it so much that she threw it away. I've totally changed it since I submitted it (ages ago). Should I send the revised one? I'm not sure of protocol on this. Thanks!

VickCorren

Registered
Reaction score
Roseanne requested a partial from me a couple of weeks ago. We'll see how it goes.

Snappy

A new year, a new avatar
Registered
Reaction score
Any updates? Got a request for a full.

Lyxdeslic

Laughing every time I choke.
Registered
Reaction score
So did I, same day as you, I2S. Considering this is the first full-request I've ever netted, and based off only the query and first ten-pages, I'm skeptical after reading through this thread. "Vanity agent"? That'd be a genius marketing strategy if it's the case.

Obviously, I hope it's not.

Lyx

Thedrellum

Grr. Argh.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.patreon.com
Well, she's still active. She's judging a contest for QueryTracker.net, looking at YA manuscripts and providing critiques for the winners.

I considered entering, but was turned off by the Agency's website and by the fact that though Publisher's Marketplace shows evidence of two sales for Wells, they are both for non-fiction.

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Ms. Wells moved to Jennifer DeChiara Literary Agency in '12.

No further sales reports for either Strong or Oswald.

Sleepysara

Registered
Reaction score
Any updates on M. Strong? I ask because she suggested she would like to represent my work after reading only the query. Seems a little too good to be true to me. Anyone else experience this?

Thedrellum

Grr. Argh.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.patreon.com
If she wants to represent after only reading the query, that's sounds crazypants.

Is this for non-fiction? That would make more sense. (Though still be edging enough on too-good-to-be-true territory to send up warning flares, IMO.)

Sleepysara

Registered
Reaction score
It's fiction. Even though I'm skeptical, I sent in my manuscript and I'll post an update if and when I hear again.

Sleepysara

Registered
Reaction score
Update

I sent the requested materials to M. Strong and never heard another word. I emailed recently to inquire what was up and, again, silence.

Sleepysara

Registered
Reaction score
Another Update

They actually finally got back to me with a very nice rejection. Katharine Tsamparlis wrote to say they'd been reorganizing and she also included some feedback with some pretty thoughtful comments.

Fizgig

Registered
Reaction score
Wondering about the latest here. I sent a query to Ms. Strong and got a partial request from "associate agent Colin Campbell." That would be Lord Colin Campbell I imagine based on the old press release posted above.

On PM I see he has 4 sales over the past few years (none in Fantasy which is my current WIP)...I've got a ton of other partials and few fulls out so I'm not sure what to do here. Thinking I will send it along and see what happens but I'm curious if anyone know anything about him or this agency lately?

Fizgig

Registered
Reaction score
Now I've got a full request from them. So many mixed feelings...I would really appreciate hearing about any experiences with these folks!

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Site's gone, no recent activity.