FBI and Stolen Evidence Use

Dani

Cuddly sweet teddy bear!
Registered
Reaction score
I have a question about the FBI and if they're able to use evidence stolen by someone else and turned into them. This could include anything such as documents, a gun, pictures etc.

If someone finds something during the commission of a crime and turns it in (anonymously), can the FBI use that information to obtain a warrant etc?

(I did try and do a search for this, but if anyone has a thread where this has been asked, please let me know).

Snick

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
I believe that they would be very leery of using any evidence that was gotten illegally. They might use it as a lever to get the same information legally, but there would be problems if they tried using something like that in court.

jeseymour

Registered
Reaction score
Website
jeseymour.com

Steve Collins

Registered
Reaction score
Yes, something similar happened in the UK. A Burglar walked into a police station with a briefcase containing a submachine gun. He put it on the counter and said "I'm a burglar, but this is way too hot for me". We raided the house and took down the owner.

ironmikezero

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Notwithstanding how it was acquired, evidence surrendered to an agency, that was not procured by law enforcement agents, may be used in the investigation and subsequent prosecution in the US.

Pragmatically speaking, there would be considerable effort made to further corroborate/refute the validity and relevancy of said evidence.

Bottom line - yes... it does happen, more than most folks would think.

Dani

Cuddly sweet teddy bear!
Registered
Reaction score
Thank you all so much for your help. Rep given!