The Tenth Circle

phoenix

rising from the ashes
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lizmichalski.com
That is weird, Lisa. But how cool that he emailed you!

I am trying not to get depressed this week. My contract still hasn't come -- I e-mailed my agent, who is wonderful and reputable, and agent said everything was fine, it was almost done, etc. etc. Dumb thing to get hung up on, but I feel like nothing is REAL until it comes. I've gotten informal editorial feedback already, but still....trying not to overdose on the crumbles from the brownie ice cream sandwiches I made for a party this weekend.

Irysangel

She of Many Names
Registered
Reaction score

I am trying not to get depressed this week. My contract still hasn't come -- I e-mailed my agent, who is wonderful and reputable, and agent said everything was fine, it was almost done, etc. etc. Dumb thing to get hung up on, but I feel like nothing is REAL until it comes. I've gotten informal editorial feedback already, but still....trying not to overdose on the crumbles from the brownie ice cream sandwiches I made for a party this weekend.

Contracts are always slow as molasses. Like months and months in coming. I don't even put them in the radar of 'stuff to think about' because they are soooooooooooo slow. So don't stress yourself. :) They will eventually come.

I have a tiny bit of news on this end - my title for book 3 seems to be official, and agent is waiting to hear back from editor if the date I found online for book 3 is an official date, or an Oops. I am hoping it is not an Oops, because I am already excited about it. :)

phoenix

rising from the ashes
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lizmichalski.com
I just saw your book! I was at the supermarket this a.m. and it was on a big wall next to the checkout! I moved two copies so they were both facing out. I have it on my 'to purchase' list for next time!

I would have bought it this time, but I had just enough to cover the milk and cereal essentials.

Last edited:

HappyCamper

I lurk, therefore I am
Registered
Reaction score
So in 10th Circle Weirdness, I got an email on my author website from someone reading an ARC of my book. He's in DC. I asked him how he got the ARC (he works at a journal associated with a grad school there). He said that it might have come from the W@shingt0n P0st but he wasn't sure.

Strange, but cool. :)

You're not alone. The final draft of my contract isn't in either. I've come to accept that the publishing business runs a on a very different clock. :Hug2:

I have a tiny bit of news on this end - my title for book 3 seems to be official, and agent is waiting to hear back from editor if the date I found online for book 3 is an official date, or an Oops. I am hoping it is not an Oops, because I am already excited about it. :)

Yay! :)

Kneck-deep in my edits and finding it strange that I'm actually enjoying myself. My hubby is wondering if an alien have taken over my body.:D

OL

Still a beach bum...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lisabrackmann.com

Phoenix, what Irys said. Don't worry about it. My contract actually got lost at one point (really!). As long as your agent says it's on track, it's coming.

Last edited:

Amarie

carpe libri
Registered
Reaction score
It was kind of a weird email on some other levels that I won't go into here.

Sorry about weird emails. I've already gotten a couple, and fear what's to come. One person seemed to think I have some sort of political agenda, which was completely bizarre. It's middle grade, people!

On a brighter note, my agent is going to ask my editor about PR plans. I want to know if it would help for me to go to the ALA meeting in Washington D.C. this year. I know it would be fun, but I don't want to spend the money unless there's a real benefit to it.

Irysangel

She of Many Names
Registered
Reaction score
I just saw your book! I was at the supermarket this a.m. and it was on a big wall next to the checkout! I moved two copies so they were both facing out. I have it on my 'to purchase' list for next time!

I would have bought it this time, but I had just enough to cover the milk and cereal essentials.

Very cool! Thanks for the face-out. And remember, cornflakes always come first. ;)

BTW guys - have you seen this link about the publishing timeline? I find it extremely helpful (especially because I share an editor/publisher with this particular author). It helps me know when to expect things like copyedits, etc.

http://sabrinajeffries.com/zindex.cfm?fuseaction=author&pageID=13

phoenix

rising from the ashes
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lizmichalski.com

erinbee

slanted and enchanted
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.erinblakemore.com
Okay, coming into My Favorite Thread (TM) to whine about the waiting, and more waiting, and waiting to announce exciting news (!), and additional subsequent waiting.

Alright, done.

Real question: I have decided to counteract all this waiting with some actual writing, but I find that without a deadline, I am pitiful. So...will one of you consider being my deadline buddy? Pretty please?

Amarie

carpe libri
Registered
Reaction score
It is really pricey, plus is there any limits to who signs up? Why would a librarian or a bookseller think any particular book is worth looking at if all it takes is money to get on the list? Maybe I'm missing something from the website, but I don't see any review policy/publisher guidelines, etc. at all.

Tasmin21

They will come from below...
Registered
Reaction score
Not a thing going on right now. I'm frantically working on Book 2. After tomorrow's work, I'll be at the end of my previously written stuff, and starting Monday, I'll be writing brand new words.

triceretops

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
guerrillawarfareforwriters.blogspot.com
Agent should be returning from vacation right about now, so it'll be any day that we have to pow-pow and talk about revisions and submissions.

Just hit 13,200 on my new WIP a few minutes ago, so I'm gonna give it a rest. It's taken me four/five days to lay down a good foundation that I'm happy with. So far so good. Yay, I'm a YA writer!

Tri

Irysangel

She of Many Names
Registered
Reaction score
Working on proposals for book 2 and 3 in my 2nd series (that launches next year). Waiting on edits from both agent and editor and trying not to send emails that say "Can I have them now? Can I have them now?"

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
Prelim word is that my title may have to go. :( There's another book out there (a decade old, but...) with the same title. :cry: Oh, well. I always knew it was a possibility. We'll see what the legal types have to say.

ETA: A fellow MIer just emailed to say our editor gave her my book to blurb. :scared: But she says she's really enjoying it. Eep.

Last edited: