English Village 1830s

shaldna

The cake is a lie. But still cake.
Registered
Reaction score
sheep are hardy and can live pretty much anywhere in the most exposed places and on virtually nothing. They are much tougher than they look and are well insulated against the cold and wet that the most extreme weather provides.

The sheep beside us don't even bother with their shelter when there's snow or a storm.

DavidZahir

Malkavian Primogen
Registered
Reaction score
Website
undeadwhispers.yuku.com
For some reason, I get much less thorough results using the Google search--at least less than some. One more reason to be so grateful for you lovely folks!

The manor house does indeed rise from the foundation of a monastery razed during the reign of Henry VIII. It was built in the late 17th century, after the Restoration. I made a floor plan.

Adore the details about fish oil and seagull eggs and seal skins. Had forgotten about the Aran Islands and the brilliant documentary about them. The potatoes grown with seaweed stuck in my mind at the time. Makes sense for my islanders, what with little gardens for a village hugging the bay and all.

Thanks for the recommendations of films/t.v. series. Recently re-watched Regency House Party which helps me 'feel' the time. Was going to do a re-watch/re-read of Fingersmith as well (a few decades later, but a big chunk happens in a country manor house with a lot of focus on the staff). Will check out Cranford and Whiskey Galore.

Hadn't really considered the breed of sheep on North Island before. After a quick survey, my inclination leans towards the Derbyshire Gritsone which were bred in the 18th century. At the time they were almost cutting edge, but I figure the previous squire (a baronet) was the industrious type, leaving a substantial inheritance for his son (who proved interested in other things). But of course this also gives me a visual sense of what the sheep on North Island look like (hornless, woolless limbs, compact, black-and-white faces, etc.).

You know, the more I think on it, the Manor House Farm must import its hay.

Marya

In search of distractions
Registered
Reaction score
Website
africanalchemy.wordpress.com
David, I am always drawn to details that are concrete and particular, in part because I write non-fiction for a living and like to know about people's daily lives in harsh or exotic places. Reading this thread over makes me want to watch Whisky Galore again.

One reminder: class in Britain would have been very rigid and hierarchical at this time, the family (landed gentry with property in the Caribbean) living in the manor house with servants, the fishing community risking their lives at sea, the curate perhaps out of favour with his bishop and exiled to the island for being either too high church or too low church. A lighthouse keeper perhaps? Some smugglers or shipwreckers elsewhere on the headland?

Because of the influence of the Napoleonic wars, more affluent men will be wearing greatcoats, women brocade and printed textiles. Much anti-French feeling and an 1830 uprising in Paris. Britain divided over the question of universal male suffrage. (Your landed gentry will be Tories and imperialistic, proud of British India and the Empire.)

There is a good blog somewhere on Victorian historical novels to do with getting 'clogs and shawls' detail right, can't recall it right now.

pdr

Banned
Reaction score
Look up...

the once fishing villages of the Yorkshire coast. In particular Whitby and Filey, and Robin Hood's Bay. Start at the Yorkshire Tourist website and take it from there. These were the fishing villages on the East coast which your place would be like.

DavidZahir

Malkavian Primogen
Registered
Reaction score
Website
undeadwhispers.yuku.com
Thanks so much for all the wonderful details and feedback on this thread!

Re: Class. Yeah, I know the hierarchy then was really strict, but of course even then there was a kind of upward mobility, mostly centered around money. The baronet in question entered into an arranged marriage a little later than normal, his wife the daughter of a vicar but (more importantly) the niece of a Viscount. Sir Norrys (the baronet) had a moody personality, tending to make some decisions very quickly and stubbornly sticking with them. Such as his marriage, which wasn't quite done on a whim.

As far as his widow (Sir Norrys dies just a little before the story's beginning) goes, there's very little entertaining she can do. Other than her brother, the doctor her late husband insisting on establishing at North Island and his wife are virtually the only company she can have over. Likewise she might consider the local fish wholesaler, who at least is a man of property (albeit very little) and who does his best to try and be a gentleman. Although that is stretching it.

I should mention my book consists of diary entries from two sides of the social divide. One is of the lady's brother, who is perpetual curate, therefore a gentleman. The other is the kitchen maid, whom nearly everyone has forgotten can read. Spent a lot of time working out who comprises the manor house's staff (and in truth the manor is somewhat under-staffed for a variety of reasons) and the dynamics between them. Makes for a heady brew (well, if it didn't there'd hardly be a story, would there?),