What are you reading?

HarryHoskins

Straw-fed
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
One my favourite King books. I've just finished Pet Sematary.

I'd only read one King prior to this and I will definitely be reading more. He is a great story teller; and when his writing gets good, it gets really good. :)

Just cracked the spine of ...

Housekeeping - Marilynne Robinson

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
Stephen R. Donaldson's Against All Things Ending. (Book 9 of 10.) 150 pages' worth of plot and action and character development crammed into nearly 700 pages.

It's a lesson in what not to do.

milly

seeing sparks
Registered
Reaction score
"The Deep Green Sea" by Robert Olen Butler

milly

seeing sparks
Registered
Reaction score
"The Square" by Marguerite Duras
(from her collection of short novels titled "Four Novels")

Dix

So, is that a no?
Registered
Reaction score
SPLIT IMAGE by Robert B. Parker, who died Jan 2010. It's the last book in the Jesse Stone series. I miss R.B.P. and I'll miss Jesse & Molly & Suit...

ResearchGuy

Resident Curmudgeon
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.umbachconsulting.com
SPLIT IMAGE by Robert B. Parker, who died Jan 2010. It's the last book in the Jesse Stone series. I miss R.B.P. and I'll miss Jesse & Molly & Suit...
The good news (slightly off topic of reading per se) is that the made-for-TV Jesse Stone movies are still being made, with scripts written by Tom Selleck.

--Ken

Dix

So, is that a no?
Registered
Reaction score
The good news (slightly off topic of reading per se) is that the made-for-TV Jesse Stone movies are still being made, with scripts written by Tom Selleck.

--Ken

I've seen all the Jesse Stone movies so far and am now delighted to know there are more in the works. I understand Selleck wrote the 5th movie, Thin Ice, so I'm confident he can carry on. To me, Tom Selleck IS Jesse Stone. Thanks, Ken!

ResearchGuy

Resident Curmudgeon
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.umbachconsulting.com
God's War: A New History of the Crusades, by Christopher Tyerman, 2006. Lots and lots of detail, but with pointed observations and insights that liven it up. Heavy hardback, and huge.

--Ken

virtue_summer

Always learning
Registered
Reaction score
My Soul to Take by Tananarive Due, the latest in her African Immortals series.

Satori1977

Listening to the Voices In My Head
Registered
Reaction score
I have wanted to read the Jesse Stone books, since I love the movies...and Tom Selleck. Will definitely pick one up at the library.

Right now I am torturing myself with an LKH novel, Bullet. Halfway through and Nothing. Has. Happened. But it is like a bad car wreck. I just can't look away.

Dix

So, is that a no?
Registered
Reaction score
I have wanted to read the Jesse Stone books, since I love the movies...and Tom Selleck. Will definitely pick one up at the library.

I hope you do. I think the books are better after seeing Tom Selleck in the role. In the books, Jesse is much younger and, somehow, for me, that doesn't fit as well. But when I saw Selleck, it added a dimension of maturity and all came together better than before. Selleck owns the character and now it is he I see when I read the novels.

I'm envious of the rhythm of Parker's dialog and his ability to reveal multi-level characters and unveil a complex plot using such spareness and simplicity of prose. He makes Hemingway look like a chatterbox. (Somebody wrote that somewhere and I'm stealing it.)

If you can, read them in order so you can enjoy watching the characters develop.

Last edited:

ResearchGuy

Resident Curmudgeon
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.umbachconsulting.com
Not sure this counts . . . but I'm reading (and proofing/commenting on draft of) a book manuscript by a local writer (genre is history). Dang is it good. I'm gonna push the author to relentlessly pursue agent/commercial publisher. It's been a while since I have seen that much potential in a manuscript by a local author.

--Ken

S.J.

Addict? I can quit whenever I want!
Registered
Reaction score
Villette by Charlotte Bronte