The W1S1 Check-in and Chill Lounge and Bar

Lillie

practical experience, FTW
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
How do you get a newsletter from Duotrope? I've never been sent one :(

Duh! I'm an idiot. I just looked and saw the thing at the top.

Last edited:

Aggy B.

Not as sweet as you think
Registered
Reaction score
Bah. Been fighting off a cold for the past week. Still not feeling up to snuff. But ready to start the final (hopefully) edits on The Hardest Kiss before I send it off to Fantasy.

:)

ETA: Edits done. Story sent before I can waffle about it any more.

ETA2: And it's at #32 in the queue. Wonder how long before the rejection shows up?

Last edited:

zanzjan

killin' all teh werds
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
VPX
VPXI
Registered
Reaction score
ETA2: And it's at #32 in the queue. Wonder how long before the rejection shows up?

Or the non-rejection. Those sometimes take longer, though.

Okay, the crickets, while vaguely irritating, weren't making me antsy until today. Between being down to the wire on the AW and Fish Anthos, and all the other stuff that's way past ART, I'm wondering if a massive rejection tsunami is heading my way...

Opinionated Ant

I walk into things
Registered
Reaction score
Hey guys can't believe I've been in school for a month it's really cutting into my writing time.

I started a new story at the beginning of the month and 4K in realize it's not going to be a short story but maybe my first novella. But I wanted to make sure I finished at least one story so I went on a micro spree at work last night and wrote 10 teeny tiny ones. I might even get to submit a few which is more than I counted on so yay!

I don't have an ereaders (will download pdf's to pc though) so can't help with that @Izz.

Signing up for duotrope newsletter now thanks for reminding me.

Anyone ever sub to school paper? I keep walking by signs at my college and am tempted.

Okay back to watching Korean Dramas i mean homework!

zanzjan

killin' all teh werds
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
VPX
VPXI
Registered
Reaction score
Anyone ever sub to school paper? I keep walking by signs at my college and am tempted.

Is your college a large university surrounded by cows? Because if so, please do; it'd be nice to have something decent to read on my way to work in the morning. :)

jazzman99

Recovering Academic
Registered
Reaction score
Got a story submitted at 1:30 this morning, which means four All! New! submissions in the month of September. I *really* need to start working on revising the novel now.

Waiting for word on twelve current submissions....and starting to go a little nuts.

Opinionated Ant

I walk into things
Registered
Reaction score
Is your college a large university surrounded by cows? Because if so, please do; it'd be nice to have something decent to read on my way to work in the morning. :)

No, more like honking traffic. :) I go to NSCC. And it's a small creative section I noticed two people each had two poems and shorts.

Though I think I'd prefer cows over crazy drivers any day!

I know soapdish October is almost here. I can't believe it.

Got a story submitted at 1:30 this morning, which means four All! New! submissions in the month of September. I *really* need to start working on revising the novel now.

Waiting for word on twelve current submissions....and starting to go a little nuts.

Yay! How are you keeping track? An excel spreadsheet or something like that?

victoriajakes

let me tell you about my dogs
Registered
Reaction score
can't believe I've been in school for a month it's really cutting into my writing time.

This. I thought being a part-time student (instead of full time) would open up my schedule for writing, but I'm also working part time and editing for my school paper and there is just no time at all.

I have five subs out and I have no idea when I'm going to hear from them. Seems like all the lit mags slowed down with the start of September too. At least I'm busy and not checking duotrope ever five minutes like I was over the summer.

Aggy B.

Registered
Reaction score
Yeesh. My story at Fantasy Magazine is now at #10 in the queue and listed as "under review".

Everything else is pretty much crickets.

I started working on my novel again last night (Gaslyte). Got about five paragraphs written before I had to go coax the toddler back to sleep. But it was cool to be working on something longer.

Still need to figure out my outline for the NaNo/W1S1 novel. I do know that there are undead soldiers, necromancers and Rasputin involved. It's all the why that has me still confuzzled. :p

But it's hump day! Halfway to the weekend. :)

Aggy B.

Registered
Reaction score
Meh. The lingering cold decided to let me have another round of blech yesterday. Still feeling groggy today but had to come out to get more liquids. (Hooray for vitamin water.)

Leodegraunce says they'll notify everyone by sometime today about the next issue, so I'll probably have some response from them by tomorrow.

And I have sent The Hardest Kiss off to Tor.com. Not thrilled about letting it sit for months but I don't really have any other "perfect" markets for it at the moment so I might as well take a stab at a really good one. I figure if I can handle GUD holding onto a story for 585 days I can deal with Tor.com holding one for a year.

Also had this crazy idea last night for a sort of steampunk Terminator/Matrix short story. Not sure where it will lead but it made me feel better despite the cold.

Happy Friday, folks! :)

katsincommand

Writer, Not Quitter
VPXVI
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.dmbonanno.com
So I still can't comment on blogs. Just wanted to say, 'cause so many of you have awesome blogs I'd love to comment on and i can't.

I think upgrading IE was a mistake. /sigh

defcon6000

Banned
Reaction score
C&C #1 has lift-off!

I haven't eaten yet today. I think perhaps i should.
:e2woo:

And yeah, you should probably eat something. :tongue

I have a question: Is it true that Wily Writers only publishes stories from previously published authors? Because duotropes says they do, but I don't see any mention of it in their guidelines -- except for the suggestion of joining a writer's organization.

defcon6000

Banned
Reaction score
So I still can't comment on blogs. Just wanted to say, 'cause so many of you have awesome blogs I'd love to comment on and i can't.

I think upgrading IE was a mistake. /sigh
I use Firefox 3.6 (don't upgrade it as the upgrade is complete shite) and Seamonkey, which is based off of FF's engine, but you can get a nice addon that allows you to block javascript, flash, images, etc.

Lillie

practical experience, FTW
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
C&C #1 has lift-off!

Eat!

And congratulations :) It's been such fun seeing it all come together for you.

And congratulations, Suzanne :D Brilliant story. I loved it.

zanzjan

killin' all teh werds
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
VPX
VPXI
Registered
Reaction score

(blushes) Thank you. I'm always ridiculously nervous about my stories when they come out, so it's nice to know I didn't completely botch things (-:

sammyjwebb

Registered
Reaction score
land of geese and bulls in Northern Colorado
C&C #1 has lift-off!

By now you're in bed - but hopefully you ate!

I have a question: Is it true that Wily Writers only publishes stories from previously published authors? Because duotropes says they do, but I don't see any mention of it in their guidelines -- except for the suggestion of joining a writer's organization.

There is a chunk of stuff that's open to everyone. You just have to follow the theme for the month.

Finally got Little Red Riding Hood done and sent off. I'm sick of her and the purple boots I gave her!

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
Yay! Congratulations! Go eat something, willya?
:e2woo:

And yeah, you should probably eat something. :tongue
Eat!

And congratulations :) It's been such fun seeing it all come together for you.

By now you're in bed - but hopefully you ate!
Thanks, peeps. I have eaten, and tinkered, and tinkered, and tinkered. And now i'm going to crawl upstairs and watch a repeat of Midsomer Murders and probably fall asleep on the couch. :D

soapdish

writing
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
sealeyandrews.wordpress.com
C&C #1 has lift-off!

HOORAY! Congratulations, Izz!!

I do remember seeing that in their guidelines at one point in time, but perhaps they've changed it.

(blushes) Thank you. I'm always ridiculously nervous about my stories when they come out, so it's nice to know I didn't completely botch things (-:
*nods* Me too.
So much so that I often don't tell anyone about them. :tongue
I'm awesome at self promotion, can you tell? :rolleyes:

Suzanne, you have nothing to feel nervous about. Really.

Leodegraunce says they'll notify everyone by sometime today about the next issue, so I'll probably have some response from them by tomorrow.
They did? *runs to inbox*

And....CRAP! It's October!! I have to update my blog.

Last edited:

defcon6000

Banned
Reaction score
And....CRAP! It's October!! I have to update my blog.
Heh, I haven't updated my blog in a month -- I probably should post something, huh?

btw, really enjoying the fresh horror stories over in SYW. For a minute there, I thought that board had died. (I know, punny. :D)

soapdish

writing
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
sealeyandrews.wordpress.com
Well, we are reviving the monthly prompts, that's part of the reason why it's booming again. Hopefully this will be the kick that it needs to come back to life. :D Even if people aren't following the prompts, just seeing activity in there, I think, will encourage people to post.