Jobation June 500 words/day--all genres welcome!

kaitie

With great power comes
Registered
Reaction score
Not if the MC did it...

me-a-monsteR

Bites upon request
Registered
Reaction score
I like reading the posts here. The progress inspires me :) . So good going to all.
Wish those submitting stories luck and patience.

I tinkered with another chapter today. It still feels blah. I'm going to leave it and see if I a day will make a difference.

muse

standing on head, typing one-handed...
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Decided to change my way of working to see if I could get out of the rut I'm in. Copied a few scenes from Scrivener and put them in Word, hoping a new layout would give me a new perspective.

Have spent most of the day trying to figure out why Word won't auto save and wishing I'd noticed sooner that after the first save (I'm a compulsive CTRL-S person) nothing else was saved. Three hours work down the drain.:Headbang:

BfloGal

Lost in a plot hole
Registered
Reaction score
Website
barbearly.blogspot.com
1428 today, after a long weekend not writing. Coming up to the 30k mark. I did have a nice anniversary celebration, though.

Speaking of bridge throwing, I have two of them in my published novella. Another nice thing about bridges is you can have the body wash up whenever you want.

lorna_w

Hybrid Grump
Registered
Reaction score
WTG, Bflo! Here in Arizona, bridges are usually over dry washes, only wet maybe 6 weeks of the year...so if you throw a body off them, you just get a "thud." And at night, coyotes. ;)

and muse, sorry about the data loss. I hate them!

heyjude

Making my own sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
Decided to change my way of working to see if I could get out of the rut I'm in. Copied a few scenes from Scrivener and put them in Word, hoping a new layout would give me a new perspective.

Have spent most of the day trying to figure out why Word won't auto save and wishing I'd noticed sooner that after the first save (I'm a compulsive CTRL-S person) nothing else was saved. Three hours work down the drain.:Headbang:

:Jaw: (((muse)))

<HJ Voice>This one time, at vegan camp...</HJ Voice>

:D

wonderactivist

Registered
Reaction score
Website
luciesmoker.wordpress.com
Muse, I'm so sorry.

387 words this morning. I'm still mad at the guy. He thinks it's all up to him. Like she's just sitting there waiting and he gets to decide everything about whether he's ready to commit. We'll just have to surprise him.

onesecondglance

pretending to be awake
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
soundcloud.com
Nothing yesterday thanks to an all-day-plus-evening-event work conference. I got to see the senior management team bopping around after imbibing much wine; some sights, once seen, cannot be unseen.

lorna_w

Hybrid Grump
Registered
Reaction score
I am a happy writer once again. 1100 new words this morning, based on stimulating research yesterday afternoon. Will create more new words this afternoon/evening in editing.

I took the vague sense of unease I had about the planned structure of the end of the novel and posted about it (in a roundabout manner) here. The responses were just enough different than my own overly familiar thoughts that they really helped clarify what I need to do for the rest of the book. Thus, my plotting muscle is healed and pitching some fastballs now.

Still awaiting the typical emotional crash concerning this novel. (OMG it sucks/I suck/what was I thinking?/just shoot me now.) If I feel this optimistic now, will that crash be worse than normal too? Yikes!

heyjude

Making my own sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
A little over 600 this morning.

Brief administrative note: If you are interested, we will be having an MTS Challenge in July to see who can write the most words. We'll keep track in the 500 thread (instead of having a separate thread like we used to) and it will be an honor system, keeping track in our sig lines. The prize is bragging rights. :) It's great fun and a good motivator. More about that in July...

Now back to your regularly scheduled 500 thread. :)

BfloGal

Lost in a plot hole
Registered
Reaction score
Website
barbearly.blogspot.com
WTG, Bflo! Here in Arizona, bridges are usually over dry washes, only wet maybe 6 weeks of the year...so if you throw a body off them, you just get a "thud." And at night, coyotes.

Well, the thud might be a tad anticlimactic, but the coyotes make it possible for the body to "resurface" whenever it's more convenient for you. Or pieces of it. Or not at all. Lot's of versatility in bridges.

869 hard-fought words today. Not liking many of them. I think I'm starting a new chapter in the wrong place.

HeyJude--I love the July challenge idea! Sounds like a great way to rack up words.

kaitie

With great power comes
Registered
Reaction score
I think the thud makes it all the more hilarious.

I might have a somewhat warped sense of humor. ;)

heyjude

Making my own sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
It is, Bflo. It was great fun the first few rounds. We're definitely competitive and supportive at the same time. We're awesome like that. :)

I've done more editing today. Plus a lot of laying around in the pool, plotting in my head. Plotting, not dozing. Mostly.

muse

standing on head, typing one-handed...
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I think the thud makes it all the more hilarious.

I might have a somewhat warped sense of humor. ;)

Nope, your sense of humor sounds about right. Although, I'm adding in a squelch after the thud.:evil

Muse, I'm so sorry.

387 words this morning. I'm still mad at the guy. He thinks it's all up to him. Like she's just sitting there waiting and he gets to decide everything about whether he's ready to commit. We'll just have to surprise him.
Good job we're all writers, or that would be the creepiest thing I've heard all day.:D

Still haven't worked out my Word problem, but used a workaround and managed to pump out 3436 precious words! :banana:

Namatu

Lost in mental space.
Registered
Reaction score
A little over 600 this morning.

Brief administrative note: If you are interested, we will be having an MTS Challenge in July to see who can write the most words. We'll keep track in the 500 thread (instead of having a separate thread like we used to) and it will be an honor system, keeping track in our sig lines. The prize is bragging rights. :) It's great fun and a good motivator. More about that in July...

Now back to your regularly scheduled 500 thread. :)
There's a secondary challenge to see who writes the least, because we firmly believe everybody wins. Plus, I'm going to lose (lorna). There will be a crown. :e2crown: It is mine.

Nothing from me yesterday. I was working. Same for tonight.

kaitie

With great power comes
Registered
Reaction score
I'd love to have a challenge, btw. I missed that earlier when I read through the threads. It'd be a great motivator, and I'm hoping to get as much written this summer as I can because I know how it gets once school gets in full swing.

254 for me today. Why don't my clothes fold themselves? If they did I'd have had an extra hour of writing time.

DocBrown

Hopes to one day write for food.
Registered
Reaction score
Why don't my clothes fold themselves? If they did I'd have had an extra hour of writing time.

As someone who folded 5-20 loads of laundry a night at the hotel, I can attest that it takes a surprisingly large amount of time to fold linen and towels. It's really kind of annoying. :rant:

Anyway, I could use the motivation of a July challenge. By then, I should have three projects to rotate through.

Oh yeah, speaking of third projects, I edited my latest short story. Beefing it up to 3558 words.

I'm guessing about 900 of them are new.

onesecondglance

pretending to be awake
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
soundcloud.com
445 last night in the airport lounge coming back from sunny Edinburgh. They're not great, but I can end that chapter now and move along.

Marya

In search of distractions
Registered
Reaction score
Website
africanalchemy.wordpress.com
Sunny Edinburgh? Haven't heard that coupling in a long time!

The most words in July? Could be me if I can refrain from deleting the rubbishy plethora of adverbs and adjectives every second day.

3 200 words in the last two days. I seem to be fixated on the word 'tenuous', it came up four times. My tenuous grasp of reality.

lorna_w

Hybrid Grump
Registered
Reaction score
Sunny Edinburgh? Haven't heard that coupling in a long time!

The most words in July? Could be me if I can refrain from deleting the rubbishy plethora of adverbs and adjectives every second day.

3 200 words in the last two days. I seem to be fixated on the word 'tenuous', it came up four times. My tenuous grasp of reality.

Hmm, you seem to have those adjectives in control! One of them wasn't even yours and they all were necessary. Maybe it's not as bad as you think. ;) And nice wordagination.

Ditto Doc, Heyjude, onesecondglance, muse, and all others. Keep wordaginating!