Please paste your Fully Formatted {whatever} into the Body of your Email...

AHunter3

Author-Curmudgeon
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.genderkitten.com
Although exceptions exist, the overwhelming majority preference of agents appears to be for proposals and sample chapters to be pasted into the body of the email, not attached as PDF or other format-preserving file attachment.

OF those, a decent number indicate in their submissions guidelines that they expect a specific font (usually Times New Roman, 12 point) and even a specific line spacing (always double spaced). I don't know if they usually intend that as a guideline for people who have advanced to the stage of sending in a full MS or if they mean for the initial query itself.

It remains true even as of 2014 that email, as an official protocol, does not natively "support" formatting; in other words, as far as the official designation of internet protocols and etc are concerned, email is still a plain text format. True, dozens of email programs and web mail interfaces make it possible (nevertheless) to send some approximation of formatted email. But I'm under the impression that it's still very much a crapshoot as to whether the formatting specified by the sender is interpreted with accuracy by the email environment being used by the recipient.

I confess that I'm an email dinosaur of sorts: I still use an email PROGRAM (an obsolete one at that, Eudora), and detest this horrid webmail thing that everyone else seems to use, but I just checked my ISP's own webmail front end and also the very-popular GMail webmail front end and neither seems to provide any mechanism for double-spacing (or single spacing or triple spacing or 1.5 spacing etc etc etc).

• Do you, as an agent, expect to open an email and see proposals or sample chapters rendered in Times New Roman 12 point double spaced, right there in the body of the email? Would you discard an emailed proposal / query with sample chapters if the proposal or sample chapters pasted into the email body were not double spaced?

• Do you expect / require ONLY that the proposal and/or sample chapters be formatted? Would it in any way annoy you for the main query to come in in plain text (displaying as whatever your own email program uses as ITS default text for email bodies)? Would you in fact PREFER that the pitch and any other portion of a query letter other than the formal proposal or sample chapters land as plain text so that your own email program's preferences will be obeyed?

• Do you, as an author submitting, believe that you have successfully formatted outbound email sections such as proposals and sample chapters in Times New Roman 12 point double spaced? Or just Times New Roman 12 point, with no belief that you can make email behave as "double spaced?" Or some other combination of possible and not-so-possible email formatting?

Last edited:

Siri Kirpal

Swan in Process
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sat Nam! (literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

Any good agent knows that formatting can change if stuff is pasted into an email. So, just paste it and don't worry about it. That bit about double-spacing is for a. snail mailed queries or b. full manuscripts that are sent after requested.

I understand there are ways to preserve formatting, but I haven't figured them out either.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

Polenth

Mushroom
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.polenthblake.com
I sent all my queries in plain text (so a blank line between paragraphs for on-screen reading) and I got replies from the agents who send replies. It's possible some agents mean it to apply to partials / fulls. And it's possible some agents aren't that tech-savvy and don't realise how email can muck up fancy formatting. But either way, it's going to be more important that the email is readable than anything else. I've never heard of an agent rejecting an email for being plain text, but I have heard complaints about emails that come through with broken formatting.

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
What I've done is pull out the size of the sample the agent or publisher wants to see and put it in a separate document. There I make it single spaced with blank lines separating the paragraphs. I make sure curly quotation marks and apostrophes are replaced with straight up-and-down ones. I assume I'll lose italics, indentations, bold type, and centering.

This manuscript sample, pasted into an email, goes through without a hitch.

Consider the reason for the standard submission format--it's so an editor can mark it up. That's not necessary for a query. They just want to see what you can do.

Maryn, who can do stuff, just not write (ha-ha)

tko

just thanks fore everything
Registered
Reaction score
Website
500px.com
Basically what I do. I take the largest sample size anyone has ever requested to be pasted (50 pages), save it, and edit to meet the requirements.

I'm hoping that most agents have some email that can handle basic HTML, so I save my Word document as a HTML file, click on it, and open it in my browser. This allows me to preview what I hope the agent will see.

However, even this isn't enough, because I found that the line spacing in HTML doesn't always display the same in Gmail. I think I had to do a search on all the ^p (pargraph) and replace with them with ^l (manual line breaks.)

Using all manual line breaks appears to break the centering in Word (well, the centering works so good the entire document becomes centered), so then I have to play some other tricks.

One of these days I'm going to create a macro . . .

What I've done is pull out the size of the sample the agent or publisher wants to see and put it in a separate document. There I make it single spaced with blank lines separating the paragraphs. I make sure curly quotation marks and apostrophes are replaced with straight up-and-down ones. I assume I'll lose italics, indentations, bold type, and centering.

This manuscript sample, pasted into an email, goes through without a hitch.

Consider the reason for the standard submission format--it's so an editor can mark it up. That's not necessary for a query. They just want to see what you can do.

Maryn, who can do stuff, just not write (ha-ha)

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I leave in the chapter headings, but I remove the third-page of white space. So I'll have the final paragraph of chapter one, say, two blank lines, the words Chapter Two, a blank line, then the first paragraph of chapter two.

The goal isn't to make it look like a published book but to be clear and readable.

Maryn, who can do that much, at least

Wilde_at_heart

υπείκωphobe
Registered
Reaction score
I paste my sample pages, synopsis and what have you to notepad, then copy-paste it into the body of my email, adding spaces between paragraphs where needed.
I do a
-------------------------------
to separate numbered chapters, or the synopsis from the sample pages where requested.
For scene breaks, just three asterisks, centered. So far, no issue.

I gave up on Gmail though - too fiddly and annoying.

Now that I've sent out enough variations - first three chapters, first five pages, etc. I keep drafts saved in my email thingy now, which I then copy-paste into a new email as needed.