Not open for further replies.

AceTachyon

Odd person
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.abnersenires.com
I also turn off that feature.

I typically print out pages and give them the Red Pen Treatment when it comes time to edit and proof.

Old Skool.

Yo.

melaniehoo

And thus we begin the edits
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.melaniehoo.com
To the OP - The exact same thing happened to me, but that's because I have a lot of Spanish words. I haven't tried to customize the dictionary - I will now - but now I can't get it to spellcheck at all. I'm thinking on my next sweep I'll have to paste individual chapters into new documents so I won't surpass Word's limits. Very annoying.

thethinker42

Abnormal Romance Author
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gallagherwitt.com
I turn off the grammar checker, because it's stupid, but I do leave the spellchecker on. Each time it comes across a "fantasy" word, I just right click and hit "add to dictionary". It's kind of funny when I misspell one of my own words, and the thingy says "suggestions: (correctly spelled version of a word I made up)".

Darzian

To-to-to-ron-to
Registered
Reaction score
To the OP - The exact same thing happened to me, but that's because I have a lot of Spanish words. I haven't tried to customize the dictionary - I will now - but now I can't get it to spellcheck at all. I'm thinking on my next sweep I'll have to paste individual chapters into new documents so I won't surpass Word's limits. Very annoying.

Well, I'm surprised that such an error actually exists. I thought it was a freak error or something.

Actually, I only have a small number of made up words, but I just realized that Word is going to count them as different words every time they're entered. Custom dictionary sounds like a nice idea. I very much doubt I'd exceed any limit for words in that.

No spell checker turned out to be a disaster. I made 7 typos in one paragraph. If I write the WIP like THAT and then sit down to edit...........

Thanks for the replies.

melaniehoo

And thus we begin the edits
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.melaniehoo.com
Well, I'm surprised that such an error actually exists. I thought it was a freak error or something.

Actually, I only have a small number of made up words, but I just realized that Word is going to count them as different words every time they're entered. Custom dictionary sounds like a nice idea. I very much doubt I'd exceed any limit for words in that.

No spell checker turned out to be a disaster. I made 7 typos in one paragraph. If I write the WIP like THAT and then sit down to edit...........

Thanks for the replies.

Interesting about it counting each word individually. I wondered because I don't have THAT many Spanish words, but it cut off at around 20,000 words. I missed A LOT of typos on my first draft but I think I've caught most of them by now. I still think I'll check each chapter individually, just to be safe.

Nivarion

Brony level >9000
Registered
Reaction score
I just turn off spelling and grammar check and rely on my own proofreading eye for that. I hate using someone else's word processor and having to deal with the squigglies under all my complicated thoughts that Word thinks aren't proper sentences.

i hate that one too. ill be sitting there like. "come on MS, that's a dependent clause, it's fine.

i keep it on because i need the help often, where i actually am wrong. (which is very often.)

in defense of the squiggles, i do like the blue ones.

Ciera_

For the record, and because I like these sort of useless statistics,
It takes four pages of straight spelling errors, about 2000 misspelled words, to be 'too much' for Word. I just did a study on it.
Rhhrt rthhrjn wstweger gerheh eshsse hh wehw hwh wh ww ag eghwhj kytik sewhrthj ewhjretrjaqw ashwajrn wijgqegwooewhr w;ejhj geheh hejtrjt fewff affeff fewggreh vcnm afrhr behryjnnr sfgwrghrtj sdgtrjrt cegteh ehrjd hehrt sgeh shyjku ayu iuip wetrytyi aerttyjh xdcfgh sdh j s djf htrjyrhtgerf ethn ehewrh erhjry hbbb hhhynjunm dfgfbnh vgbnjm fcgvbnhj gvfbnhjmk gnhjm gbfnh bg bg bg gb nhjbgnhjm gbnhj bgnhj vbnhjbvg nhgvbthnyj gtnhyj gtbh nyjgvbnhj bg vgfbnh vbh hb fdgvb fgvb awse wsde awsfd aqde aqwsde wasd wasd wasfr
and copy, and paste. Again and again.
So, you have about four full pages of character names and other made up words. Wow.

tailstrike

Thinking, always thinking!
Registered
Reaction score
This is why i use 'yWriter 4' so much more organized and easy you should take a look just google for it and it comes from Spacejock software...

Darzian

To-to-to-ron-to
Registered
Reaction score
For the record, and because I like these sort of useless statistics,
It takes four pages of straight spelling errors, about 2000 misspelled words, to be 'too much' for Word. I just did a study on it.
and copy, and paste. Again and again.
So, you have about four full pages of character names and other made up words. Wow.

I agree it's sort of limited, but I think the above would translate to several dozen (possibly even 50 or more) pages in an actual MS since the vast majority of words in a MS are not made up.

zornhau

Swordsman
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.livejournal.com
Right click the made up word and select "Add to dictionary" or "Ignore all".

Word rocks - it has Outline view!

Bartholomew

Comic guy
Kind Benefactor
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
This is really weird.

As I write Fantasy, there will naturally be made up names in my WIP. I don't add them to the dictionary (simple because I can't be bothered). Hence my typical page has a lot of red lines in it (and occasionally green). I'm not even at 60K, but when I opened it today, I got a message from Word that more or less says:

This document has too many spelling and/or grammar mistakes.

:roll:
So, while I was staring stupendously at this message, the program crashed and shut down.
When I opened it again, it worked fine with no errors. Nevertheless, I added the character names to the dictionary as that should dramatically decreased Word's 'spelling error' count.

Weird. I've never heard of such a thing happening and it hasn't happened since. It's not exactly tech help so I put it in the Fantasy section.

And I don't use a lot of new names. :Shrug:

The advantage to adding your character names to the dictionary is that, should you misspell one somewhere in your document, you'll catch the error easier.

Horserider

Ever onward
Registered
Reaction score
I can't say I've ever had that happen. I usually add the words to the dictionary just so they'll stop showing up underlined in red and in case there are any typos in them it'll catch it.

NightShayde

Registered
Reaction score
oh my god. I can't believe that! I've never had that happen. But then again when I spell check i guess i just hit add. But that's great! That's so funny. Who does word think they are??? XD

Status
Not open for further replies.