Bound or Unbound

Status
Not open for further replies.

emandem

Registered
Reaction score
Sorry if this has been asked before...I've looked through the Manuscript Formatting Sticky and can't seem to find it.

When submitting partials (or even a full), should the manuscript be bound (stapled? paper-clipped? professionally bound?) or unbound?

Having a bad feeling that the partials I've submitted weren't up to snuff, and I'm sure every ounce of professionalism helps.

Palmfrond

cereal killer
Registered
Reaction score
Most agents want loose pages, but look at his/her web site for specifics. Holding pages together with a large binder clip will make them easier to handle, and the agent can easily take it off. Staples (the office supply place) sells manuscript boxes that are cheap and exactly the right size to mail your manuscript.

jvc

Fearsome Dragon Mod
Registered
Reaction score
Most agents say don't use staples to secure the manuscript. How about a simple wallet type folder, would that work?

qwerty

exiled Brit
Registered
Reaction score
I've been asked to supply full MS with just an elastic band round it.

Writers' & Artists' Yearbook says not to use plastic folders as they are a problem when in a pile on a desk because they can make a pile slip to the floor. But unbound pages in a cardboard folder is okay.

Apparently, agents and pubs don't like metal fixings holding ms together. They want to be able to sort through loose pages.

Quentin Nokov

King of the Kitties
Registered
Reaction score
I think paperclipping would probably be your best bet if it were to be bound. Staples, I'm pretty sure, are a big No. No. I wouldn't do it. Just make sure each page is numbered. If one loose page falls out of a pile of unnumbered pages that'll be quite irritating for an agent/publisher -- or at least I'd find it highly irritating. But if they re numbered it makes it easier for the agent/publisher to look through it loosely.

Status
Not open for further replies.