What Took Me So Long?

rcostelloe

Registered
Reaction score
I don't understand why I didn't find this site sooner.

I know quite a few writers/authors through RWA, but I don't know anyone with a situation like mine. I write novels, love stories that are hard to categorize. They're a cross between mainstream and romance. But I've only completed two, both published by Saga Books, in 07 and 08. The good news is one of my titles finaled in the National Indie Excellence Book Awards; the bad news is I got discouraged when I couldn't get a big league publisher to take on my second title. So I quit writing fiction and became a book reviewer, a contest judge, and a career couselor who writes resumes.

The reviewing career only lasted two years. But the judging work grew into a half-time position, equivalent. Well, after three+ years of judging, I turned around earlier this year and realized that the work had given me far better writing skills than I had when I was a fulltime author. That was quite a moment: one where you don't know whether to laugh or cry. You can probably guess where this is going. I dusted off the doc file of my favorite title and started rewriting it, wanting to see what I'd come up with. Well, I've been astounded at the improvements I've made w/o changing the basic story.

My author friends at the RWA chapter told me that traditional publishing was in such chaos that they didn't recommend I bother with querying. I didn't listen, but they called it right. So it looks like I'll be going digital indie just like they said I would.

But I still feel shock over the change in my writing. Before I send the ms out for formatting, I'd like to get a better feel for how good it is (or not). So I'll probably be moseying over to the the Discussion forum to see if I can interest anyone is giving me some beta reader feedback. If anyone has any advice, I'm all ears.

Oh, speaking of advice, my challenge as a writer has always been plotting. If anyone has any advice on getting past this type of blockage, I'd be grateful.

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
hello.gif

Take some time and read the Newbie Guide and the Stickies found
at the top of Forum pages. They are your best guide to learning about
Absolute Write.

Don’t forget to read the FAQ regarding posting pictures at AW.

In fact, we have lots of brilliant FAQs check them out.

Members who want to start a thread in Share Your Work to have work critiqued need
50 posts. Don’t make a mad dash to reach your 50 posts. Take some time to greet fellow newbies,
critique other members’ works, or join a discussion.

Announcements, Events and Self Promotion is for active members only. All obvious spam will be deleted on sight!

John342

Registered
Reaction score
Welcome rcostelloe! I think you'll find plenty of advice on plotting here. When you get 50 posts you can start taking advantage of the share your work forum, and from what I've seen its very helpful.

Good luck!

Last edited:

L. Y.

Thread surfer and virtual bartender
Registered
Reaction score
Hello rcostelloe! :welcome: to the Water Cooler!

rwm4768

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome. Hope you do well with your book.

KellyAssauer

The Anti-Magdalene
Registered
Reaction score
Hi rcostelloe!

Welcome to AW!

Don't forget to read about AW basics in the Newbie Guide!

Questions about this software can be found in the FAQ's menu in the handy blue bar at the 'top' of this page.

This common acronym list helps identify our mystifying abbreviations.

Before you ask that Newbie question!!
See if Katiemac has the answer here.

Check out: Sara's 10 Basic Writing Tips.

If you're looking for critiques please read the 50 Post rule.

Questions about posting writing to the Share Your Work (SYW) area
and explained here. This link covers the most common problems found in the Share Your Work *Worth reading no matter how long you have been here!*

AW is a community built on the foundations of respecting your fellow writer and helping each other, it's the basic building blocks of how and why AW works.

Welcome to our community! =)

-kelly-

Deepthought

Think hard, often
Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Hello and welcome. Seeing as your skills improved by working from different angles...I think I'll try that.