Cliches To Avoid Like The Plague?

DeadCities

Registered
Reaction score
Hi,

2. At one point the main character is knocked unconcious.

This. Especially in tv shows/movies where is seems like the slightest tap on the head is enough to put someone out for hours. Also the fact that they never seem to have any internal hemorrhaging or brain damage despite getting hit hard enough to lose consciousness for an extended period of time.

Bolero

Registered
Reaction score
Interesting discussion. Mostly SF and UF so far so I thought I'd throw in a bit of fantasy (and I can't believe no-one has mentioned this classic book yet :) .)

So - for a really big discussion of classical fantasy tropes and cliches, go for "The Tough Guide to Fantasy Land" by Dianna Wynne Jones.

She wrote fantasy, then she wrote this book on fantasy tropes. Its very, very, funny and worth reading - it is written by someone who loves fantasy so not a crude send up. I saw a panel on fantasy worldbuilding once, she was a panel member, and all the other successful published fantasy authors were grinning and wincing and saying "Yes, I've used that one...."
They had a riot of a discussion, trying to remember how it started but there was something about travellers not being set on by bandits while in a bath, so if you carried a bath with you on the road, you'd be safe.....:D

DWJ also wrote the Dark Lord of Derkholme, which is another lovely take on quest fantasy - and a good story in its own right. Has a YA market feel to it, so if you are older than YA but like reading (some) YA you should be fine - just saying that because I recommended it to a friend and they couldn't get past the first few pages as it was far to YA for them.

Chromodynamic

Registered
Reaction score
A story I'm working on starts with a big thunderstorm in the distance while he watches it form a boat. Is it too much cliche?

Though the weather at that moment is important. He counts the seconds between lightning and the sound of thunder to judge if it's getting closer or not. (Besides judging it by he wind, of course.)

Bolero

Registered
Reaction score
Not particularly as far as I am concerned. Depends on how it is done.

Providing it doesn't start with the literal phrase "It was a dark and stormy night" then you could be OK.

Chromodynamic

Registered
Reaction score
Nah, it starts with him waiting for a lightning strike in the darkness, and then counting as soon as one hits.

rwm4768

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
In one of my projects, I start with a dark and stormy night (not with that line, though). It does actually serve a purpose because it's the first time the POV character has ever seen a storm.

Bolero

Registered
Reaction score
Nah, it starts with him waiting for a lightning strike in the darkness, and then counting as soon as one hits.

Sounds fine - you have a person there and a reason. Doesn't start with "thunder rolled" (it rolled a six to quote Terry Pratchett) or "purple lightning split the midnight sky"

And now I will wait for someone to tell me of the published book which has one of those lines to open it.........:D

Chromodynamic

Registered
Reaction score
I don't know about those specific lines, but I guess that starting with the weather when it has no obvious effect on the plot at that point must be common enough (and a bad way to start a book).

tiddlywinks

Chaser of Shineyyyy Plot Bunnies
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Trying to Remember Where I Stashed My Muse
Website
www.elainewitt.com
Sounds fine - you have a person there and a reason. Doesn't start with "thunder rolled" (it rolled a six to quote Terry Pratchett) or "purple lightning split the midnight sky"

And now I will wait for someone to tell me of the published book which has one of those lines to open it.........:D

Not sure if this was what you were thinking, but did you realize Bruce Coville has a book that has a variant of BOTH those lines? In the opening two lines? It made for an entertaining snort of laughter on my part...

Bolero

Registered
Reaction score
Not sure if this was what you were thinking, but did you realize Bruce Coville has a book that has a variant of BOTH those lines? In the opening two lines? It made for an entertaining snort of laughter on my part...

Nope. In fact I had to google Bruce Coville as never heard of him.... :D See he is kid's and YA so not embarrassed. Definitely not. Honest. :D.

Francis Knight has "Dark and stormy knight" under her avatar - that's always amused me.

Once!

Still confused by shoelaces
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.will-once.com
The funny thing is that most readers don't spot these things anywhere near as much as we do.

We should be aware of them, but not to the point of obsession.

brookie81

Registered
Reaction score
There are so many ways to write a story and what we think to be cliches do not have to show stoppers. I happen to enjoy when a character turns out to be special or "the chosen one" because it makes them unique, especially when the character originally thought that they were ordinary. Telling a good story is about the character is what is important.

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
And never underestimate the appeal of wish fulfillment characters. We writerly types tend to sneer at the concept, but I think it's why many people who aren't writers (and probably many writers too) enjoy tropes that show up over and over again.

rwm4768

Registered
Reaction score
With wish fulfillment characters, I like to think of it this way. Come for the wish fulfillment. Stay for a great story. I think that was a lot of the appeal of Harry Potter. At first, magic is just cool. But then a great story develops from there (and it gets quite dark later on, so the wish fulfillment isn't there so much anymore).

ColdWintersNight

Registered
Reaction score
How to avoid character A touching something personal of Character B without character B flipping out. Via, Belle touching Beat's rose. Or Roger touching Eddie's brother's chair.

sayamini

i could go for another cappuccino.
Registered
Reaction score
Cliches in Harry Potter:
- MC knocked unconscious
- Quirky twins
- Quirky sidekick
- Nerdy sidekick
- Bratty rich kid
- >>Chosen one<<
- Boarding school adventure
- Old, gloomy castle
- "I love my best friend's sister"

Cliches in Dracula:
- Suicide out of love
- Old, gloomy castle
- MC knocked unconscious
- Reincarnated "chosen one" trope (I would argue Mina)
- There are probably a billion more. Haven't read this one in a while.

Cliches in Interview with the Vampire:
- MC knocked unconscious
- Old, gloomy lair
- Brooding rich people
- Plot device to give characters endless riches

Cliches in Lord of the Rings:
- MC knocked unconscious (multiple times)
- Old, gloomy lair
- Wise old wizard (was already cliche at the time it was written)
- Quirky sidekick
- >>chosen one<<
- Did I mention: the Ultimate Chosen One Tale?

Honestly, I'm having more fun writing this post than I probably will actually arguing here.

But the point is that cliches are not always a bad thing. The problem with using cliches is that people don't know how to use them in ways that we won't pick up on. When Harry Potter, the Chosen One, is knocked unconscious after a Quidditch match, we don't notice. But when Bella Swan, the Chosen One, is knocked unconscious beause ~reasons~, we notice, and we roll our eyes. It's a matter of context and clever usage.

I say there's no reason to be afraid of using cliches if you know how to do it right. Cliches can be helpful, even. And when you read into a lot of great, well-loved stories, you sometimes find cliches at their cores. It's not a bad thing. All it means is that people knew how to use cliches and made it work for them.

Twick

Registered
Reaction score
I think the clichés in Dracula you mention are from the movie "Bram Stoker's Dracula," which ironically veers far off what Mr. Stoker actually wrote. No reincarnation or suicide for love that I recall in the book, and I don't think anyone gets to be the Chosen One.

Now it does have a Crusty Old Mentor, and the Crazy Guy Who Knows Crucial Information but No One Listens Because He's Crazy.

Mr Flibble

They've been very bad, Mr Flibble
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We couldn't possibly do that. Who'd clear up the m
Website
francisknightbooks.co.uk
The funny thing is that most readers don't spot these things anywhere near as much as we do.

Sometimes yes, sometimes no

My husband is not a writer and only lately a reader (dyslexia)

He rolls his eyes/flings a book more than I do. For different reasons, usually, granted, but cliche etc has been in the consistent top three.

"readers" is a massively diverse group. Some won't care. Some will.

How much you care is up to you, but not telling the same old story with the same old characters/situations, well, it'll probably get you more fans than trotting out the old stuff that makes others roll their eyes and not buy it. Besides, if you do trot out the old stuff -- it's not really yours (unless you do it very differently and then...you're probably not using the cliches)

In the end -- write the book you want to read. To be fair we all have some cliches we can go for. *is a sucker for demented mentors, noble warriors and lovable rogues)
Francis Knight has "Dark and stormy knight" under her avatar - that's always amused me.

I'd be flattered, if that was me because I wish I'd thought of it. Who the hell has that under their avatar? Stormy???

Last edited:

Bolero

Registered
Reaction score
I'd be flattered, if that was me because I wish I'd thought of it. Who the hell has that under their avatar? Stormy???

Whoops. My brain compressed stuff clearly.
I just went and googled "dark and stormy knight" and turned up a Dungeons and Dragon game and a book about Batman and Robin and didn't go beyond the first page of an awful lot. :)

rwm4768

Registered
Reaction score
How 'bout the novel starts right smack in the middle of a battle?
Is that a clichee? Or is it dumb and weird?

Not cliched, but you would run the risk of readers not caring what happens in that battle. When you start with an action scene, you still have to put your POV character front and center. Don't just have them go through the battle. Give us a reason to care about them and about the result of the battle. Tell us what they're fighting for. A battle alone does not make an interesting beginning (in most cases).

Taejang

Why not?
Registered
Reaction score
This has been a fun thread to read through.

How 'bout the novel starts right smack in the middle of a battle?
Is that a clichee? Or is it dumb and weird?
Could be cliche. As mentioned, it depends on how you do it.

I like Chosen Ones. I'm just waiting patiently for one of them to be a girl.
From Wikipedia:
Nina Martin, House of Anubis
Buffy the Vampire Slayer

From tvtropes:
Sailor Moon

From my own knowledge:
Sarah Kerrigan, Starcraft (chosen by the Overmind for unknown reasons and subsequently the being upon which the entire region of space hinges on, literally determining the fate of multiple intergalactic species and possibly the universe itself)
Several characters from Magic: The Gathering could qualify, depending on how strict you are, though the constantly shifting nature of that universe makes it difficult to really declare one.
Jean Grey, X-Men (in some story arcs, not all; see Ultimate X-Men for an example)
The Narnia girls (Aslan picks them specifically, and there are some related prophecies)
Characters from Tamora Pierce's books (check Daughter of the Lioness for an example)
Anna Marshall, the Soprano Sorceress
Vin from the Mistborn series could qualify
Allana Solo from Fate of the Jedi
Serana from Skyrim: Dawnguard bears some "Chosen One" similarities
Samus, in Metroid Prime
The Exile in Knights of the Old Republic is female, according to official canon
The Warden from Dragon Age is a female elf, according to official canon
Kara Thrace (among others) from Battlestar Galactica
River in Firefly may qualify (particularly when considering her role in the movie Serenity)
Emma Swan in Once Upon a Time

Probably more, but meh. That's enough. There sure are more male "chosen ones" out there, but there are some women, too.

Maximiljen

Registered
Reaction score
[...] Give us a reason to care about them and about the result of the battle. Tell us what they're fighting for. A battle alone does not make an interesting beginning (in most cases).

Ah, yes... I understand this extremely well. Trouble is this: the battle scene ends with a disaster which sets in motion the story, so it might be really hard to hook the reader without revealing too much :) They could be fighting for anything, that's not important.
I could use a motto or a quote at the beginning, to hint at what's coming, because the battle would stretch on a couple of pages and we don't want the reader to get bored before he reaches disaster part... At least that's how I see it.

Taejang

Why not?
Registered
Reaction score
You could also shorten the battle and/or start with the disaster instead.