Teens Writing for Teens, issue 6

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
Wit, charm and beauty. It's hard to resist.

:D

But, yeah, I actually have a hard time conceptualizing characters as something other than me...it's just weird.

Thalia

better off with a really good lie
Registered
Reaction score
Hmm...

I don't really... I dunno, I don't actually think of my characters as being separate beings from me. They are separate from me, of course- they have separate hopes and fears and dreams and desires and lives- but they're still mine, and I still made them, and I can change them if I so desire.

Now, obviously, if I'm writing and I try to make my character do something that doesn't fit with his or her character, I'll get writers block. But that's not, in my mind, because my characters won't do it. It's my subconscious saying "Tally, this isn't right. Go back and fix it."

I mean, generally, when you're too strongly entrenched in the idea that your characters are their own real people and you just right them, it makes it much harder to work with the publishing world, because if they say "I don't want your character to whine so much, they need to be more likeable" (or something else, I don't know) and you staunchly refuse to change any part of your character, people won't like working with you.

ETA: My thing (it's sort of weird) is putting myself in my characters' mindset and physically talking through their issues or the plot or their actions or whatever. I'll even do their voice or accent. I've always been best at thinking out loud (like the Doctor or Sherlock) and there's not always a skull around. :tongue

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
Well, any writer who can't revise needs to work on their technique. Like, I understand wanting to remain true to your character, but often, it's less about their character and how that character is expressed.

Plus, an editor's ideas and comments always spark nifty new ideas in my brain, so that usually makes something cooler than what I originally had anyway.

Also, to use myself as an example, my character (Dru) bit her lip too often. Like, a minor writing tick, see? So, when my editor asked me to get rid of said tick because it got repetitive, I went through and changed it so that Dru biting her lip became a reoccurring motif with actual consequences (like, she chews on her lip so often she gets freaking cancer sores).

It was a good change...course, it was only a minor character note I changed, not a major one, but you can see what I mean...hopefully.

Thalia

Registered
Reaction score
Exactly.

Like, I've spoken to people who say, "My characters are entirely real to me and separate from me and that's the way they are and I can't change who they are, I just write what they do." And that's fine, but then they'd better get used to the idea of self-publishing.

lisalulu09

Potterhead Gleek
Registered
Reaction score
I write what I believe my character would do - what's in their character to do.

Also, Tally, if you want, email me the snippet and I'll read it. :)

Thalia

Registered
Reaction score
Ooh, thanks!

Ha, I was remembering the time before I had named MAAH... it was once 'Stranger Than Fiction', then it was 'A Thousand Burning Suns' for a terrible moment before Kyrie reminded me of A Thousand Splendid Suns.

Since then, I've become much better at naming books. Sherlockettes, Sweet As Sin, Dawning Glory, The Winter Princess, etc...

lisalulu09

Potterhead Gleek
Registered
Reaction score
I have no idea what my best title is. Probably Sticks and Stones or Invincible. What do you think? :)

Elysium

believe
Registered
Reaction score
In my computer....most of the time and Pennsylvani
Hey guys.

Was in the middle of watching the first episode of season two of Game of Thrones when my computer decided to log off & install updates. Can't begin to describe how annoyed I was because my computer restarted at a really good scene... :p

How is everyone?

lisalulu09

Potterhead Gleek
Registered
Reaction score
I'm good. Feeling very accomplished after I finished my last, evil piece of coursework. :D

Horserider

Ever onward
Registered
Reaction score
OMG! I thought I was the only one who had this problem. But sometimes I don't even notice that I switch tense until someone points out that I have. So frustrating.

Definitely not the only one. :) It happens to me with literally everything that I write. I usually don't even notice until I reread that part or someone points it out.

And if I'm not switching tenses, I head-hop (in the case of my dual PoV character novels) or switch from third to first person (or vice versa).

Thalia

Registered
Reaction score
I almost never jump from past to present, but I often switch from present to past.

As for POV... I rarely head-hop. Though I might struggle with that now, with this rewrite of MAAH.

Elysium

believe
Registered
Reaction score
In my computer....most of the time and Pennsylvani
Having a really hard time getting into this first scene. I know what's happening but I can't seem to write it...

Really think I need to read more books in my wip's genre. But it's going to be a while before I have a new book to read. :/

Parametric

Registered
Reaction score
I just write everything in past tense. Problem solved. :D

lisalulu09

Potterhead Gleek
Registered
Reaction score
I don't always, but when I do, I'm aware of it.

I'm proud of the decision to introduce Carlos a lot earlier... but now I have a problem: How to have a flashback from Carlos's POV, written in first person from Will's POV?