Freelancing isn't get-rich-quick, yet I'm getting hassled. How to deal?

stldenise

Scout Mom
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.denisebertacchi.wordpress.com
Matt - you mentioned Jacksonville...as in Florida? I just got back home from our annual visit to family in St. Augustine, and the local papers don't seem to have a very high bar for reporting (the Record made me cringe every morning). The local papers are in serious need of real reporters. If you're any good at all, I think you could snap up a job as a stringer for a local paper. I do stringing for my local paper, covering city hall and school board meetings, and I used to do real estate profiles...it's easy money, respectible work, and it gets you out of the house doing "real work". (And sometimes you'll get story ideas for more stuff.) I also noticed lots of local magazines at the tourism info center. Maybe pick up a few copies and send queries to them... AND if you're living in a vacation hub like Florida, you can query local mags in other cities and offer up travel pieces. Us pasty Midwesterners love to visit sunny Florida! Regional mags are supposed to be easier to break into, and the clips look very nice indeed.

Also, I'd suggest breaking into Demand Studios or Examiner. Demand pays $15 a whack for their goofy articles, and Examiner will get you writing on a regular bases. (See the threads on either at the SEO part of this board.) Examiner might take a while to build up money, but it's easy writing. Either way, you'd start getting a regular paycheck, which will boost your confidence.

Last edited:

Matt Willard

Inquisitor of Zork
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.giantrobotinvasion.com
Reporting news doesn't interest me. (Besides, I don't read our paper anyway :V) Though your other ideas are good, with the appropriate humor slant, naturally.

About Examiner...I've heard suspicious things about them. I was actually accepted to write for them, but I heard about the pay and the other problems and I was all "nah". Besides, it's ad revenue, and the only site I want to work for to get ad revenue is my own.

SouthernFriedJulie

Hidin' the bodies
Registered
Reaction score
Website
blacklabelbooks.blogspot.com
Matt, I don't mean to sound mean or anything...but sometimes to make a buck we write things we're not perfectly happy in, until the perfect job comes along.

While I'm not saying to report news or write something you just can't stomach...are you setting your mark so high that you're not going to get a gig? Just wondering if maybe that might be part of the problem.

Matt Willard

Inquisitor of Zork
Registered
Reaction score
Website
I don't think I've thrown myself out there enough yet, which I'm working on. I've also spread out a bit before, but it inevitably gets frantic for me, so that's why I wanted to focus on one kind of path.

CatMuse33

Just hitting send
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.allcotmedia.com
Matt,
I just had an idea. Why not pitch your column as a syndicated column to newspapers across the country? This is easy because you can send virtually the same pitch letter to *hundreds* of papers. You'd just need something (an angle) that would translate to print, as your blog relies heavily on graphics, etc. Of course, the more readers you have on your blog, the better your case for pitching a column... so it may be something to keep in mind as a future goal.

Okay... back to audiovisual writing for me. :)

Matt Willard

Inquisitor of Zork
Registered
Reaction score
Website
That does sounds like a great idea for the future. I can easily write columns without using pictures-I mostly use them on my blog to break up the post as seperate jokes.