I may have chosen a poor pen name....

Generalbrock

Registered
Reaction score
This forum has provided plenty of good advice to me in the past, so I thought that I'd ask for some advice again.

I currently have two pen names, one for my fetish type stuff, and one for my erotic romance. However, the name that I choose for my erotic romance was K.L. Anderson.

Needless to say, I was pretty shocked when a reader wrote me an e-mail accusing me of racism. They said my name has "Klan" in it, and I must hate black people.

To be honest, I'm Canadian, and I think about the Klan about as often as I think we need more snow here - which is never.

So long story short, does everyone think this name is racist? I only have three stories published under this name, so it would be difficult to change it, but not an insurmountable task.

I appreciate any feedback.

Last edited:

Aggy B.

Not as sweet as you think
Registered
Reaction score
Hahaha.

Sorry. I think someone reading that into your pen-name is grasping for some reason to dislike you. Ever seen Bowfinger? This reminds me of that. (If you haven't, there's a scene in which Eddie Murphy's action star character and his cohort refuse to do a movie version of a Shakespeare play because 'Shake-a-spear' is obviously racist.)

If it were me, I would file that email in the "absurd" pile and move on.

Putputt

permanently suctioned to Buz's leg
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Heh. I try hard to be sensitive to people's needs, but yah, I have to agree with Aggy that this seems kinda over the top. I would just ignore it.

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I second Aggy. That's ridiculous.

Or do we have to find a new way to refer to our parklands? Uh, no, we don't.

Maryn, sure

Shirokirie

*Leers at you awkwardly*
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Third on the ridiculous board.

I don't see anything wrong with your pen name.

Generalbrock

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies on this. I thought it was ridiculous at first, but then the more that I thought about it, the more that I started to get worried.

And I've never see Bowfinger Aggy B, but that's hilarious.

I'm really relieved that I won't have to create a new author page, change book covers etc.

Generalbrock

Registered
Reaction score
I second Aggy. That's ridiculous.

Or do we have to find a new way to refer to our parklands? Uh, no, we don't.

Maryn, sure

hehe...I guess when you really start to look for it, you find it everywhere.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
Yeah, I think you are fine. Some people have issues and sensitivities that make them see things that are not there, there is no real way to avoid that from happening from time to time--I would not change anything as a result.

jennontheisland

the world is at my command
Registered
Reaction score
That's frickin hilarious. And from one Canadian to another, srsly, only a Canadian would think they need to change it. ;)

Tazlima

Registered
Reaction score
When I was younger, I used to avoid separating my laundry into "whites" and "colors." I knew it was silly and I never mentioned it to anyone (partly because I was embarrassed and partly because laundry is a really boring discussion topic), but I just couldn't bring myself to segregate my clothing. I wore dingy whites for years before I got over this weird guilt-trip.

This pen-name "issue" is approximately the same level of ridiculous as my laundry fixation.

Last edited:

Ann_Mayburn

Smutty McTitters
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.annmayburn.com
Dude, people are weird. I got a nasty letter accusing me of being a racist for not referring to a character in a book as African American. They missed the point that this character was born and raised in Russia, still lived in Russia, and had never been to America so there is no way on earth he could actually be an African American. People will get butt hurt about anything, too much free time, so if you've invested in that name, keep it.

Last edited:

Viridian

local good boy
Registered
Reaction score
There's a woman who hates Monster energy drinks because it has subliminal devil messages.
Tthe woman claims that "M" logo could appear to resemble three instances of the letter Vav, the Hebrew numeral for six, interpreting the logo to mean "666." Later, she references Monster's slogan on a product banner reading "Unleash the Beast," interpreting these two examples as Monster Energy intending to reference "the beast" in the Book of Revelations.
People often see things that aren't there. Don't sweat it.

Tazlima

Registered
Reaction score
Come to think of it.
1) Does this person know it's a pen name?
2) What if it wasn't? Obviously in that case, even if it were intentional, wouldn't it be your parents who put the "hidden message" in your name? It's not like babies name themselves (except Pekabo Street).

Last edited:

DancingMaenid

New kid...seven years ago!
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, I don't think you have anything to worry about here. That's the last thing I'd think of when seeing your pen name, and I don't think there's any obvious similarity. Some people are good at seeing malevolent stuff hidden in benign things.

DiloKeith

Doesn't scare easily
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
dilokeith.wordpress.com
I'll add my vote to you not doing anything wrong and people interpreting far too much. They also don't see what is there. I was once accused of using insensitive language, and when I asked how I might improve my wording, the suggestion was what I had actually written.

Generalbrock

Registered
Reaction score
Once again, thanks for all of the replies everyone. Now I can go back to worrying if my work is good enough - like most writers. lol