Do Smilies appear when leaving Rep points on a post?

Zeddo

Talk to the hat
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.allanjemerson
I've tried cutting and pasting the image, as well as posting the code from the smilies page. When I cut and paste, nothing shows in the space under "I approve."

When I past the code, e.g., :roll: (colon roll colon), all I see is the code. Does this appear as a smilie to the recipient?

When I use the Smilie menu that appears under the posting window, the smilie shows up beside the post, as you can see beside this one.

I'm using Windows Vista, if that matters.

TIA

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
If you use the code, or copy and paste a link to a smiley, then it will show up to the recipient.

WildScribe

Slave to the Wordcount
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
Indeed they do!

Zeddo

Talk to the hat
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.allanjemerson
Thanks everyone. So I guess even though you don't see the smilie when you post rep points, you just have to have faith that the recipient will. (Hope I don't accidentally post the wrong one
icon11.gif
)

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
You can paste a link to a smiley offsite, but you can also copy and paste the link to the gif file that is on AW.

For example, if I right-click on your smile above, and then go to View Image Info, I see the location as http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/images/icons/icon11.gif// I could then copy that location and post it in a rep to someone else.

That might make you feel a little more sure about what you're sending, but it does take longer than just using the code.

Deleted member 42

I've tried cutting and pasting the image, as well as posting the code from the smilies page. When I cut and paste, nothing shows in the space under "I approve."

When I past the code, e.g., :roll: (colon roll colon), all I see is the code. Does this appear as a smilie to the recipient?

Yes.

You might want to read the stunningly attractive and illustrated FAQ on Rep Comments and points.

I warn you, it has so moved millions of readers, that they wept at its beauty.

Or maybe they were sneezing . . .

Zeddo

Talk to the hat
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.allanjemerson

SaraP

You can't forget those you've loved
Registered
Reaction score
It's a pain when someone reps you the wrong code for a smilie and you can't edit it. :D

You can also rep images, which I think is quite cool. :)

Deleted member 42

It's a pain when someone reps you the wrong code for a smilie and you can't edit it. :D

You can also rep images, which I think is quite cool. :)

The difficulty with images though, if they're larger than, say 250 x 250, they blowout the layout of the comment display, and can make earlier comments become unreadable.

So be conservative with those image links.

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Someone once repped me with an page-size image. I had to have it removed; it was slowing down the display of my page.

So, yeah, be careful with the image links.