Iceland volcano threat

efreysson

Closer than ever
Registered
Reaction score
How does one pronounce the name of this volcano?

You mean Bárðarbunga? Something like: Bowrtharboonga is how I would describe it. (EDIT: Means "Bárður's Bulge", Bárður being a man's name)

If you mean Eyjafjallajökull I'd say Eh-ya-fjadla-yo-kudl.

Roughly.

Last edited:

Hanson

Registered
Reaction score
The only plus-side to this sort of catastrophe is that the brilliant violin maker, Stradivarius, supposedly made his masterful violins with wood from European trees whose rings were so tightly spaced together that the tonal quality of the resulting violins remains superior to any other violins to this day. (One theory, anyway.)
'Tween that and the French Revolution an aul eruption might not be a bad thing...

Alessandra Kelley

Sophipygian
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alessandrakelley.com
'Tween that and the French Revolution an aul eruption might not be a bad thing...

Yes it would.

The famine was dreadful, and many suffered and died. The French Revolution was horrible and unstable situation and many more suffered and died.

Who knows what would happen if the horror of a famine was added to the current unstable political situation?

milkweed

Abuses commas at will.
Registered
Reaction score
Yes it would.

The famine was dreadful, and many suffered and died. The French Revolution was horrible and unstable situation and many more suffered and died.

Who knows what would happen if the horror of a famine was added to the current unstable political situation?

Not to mention plagues as these things seem to work in tandem.

Alessandra Kelley

Sophipygian
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alessandrakelley.com
Eat the rich...

Thing is, it doesn't ever seem to shake out that way. The rich very rarely get eaten, so to speak. They have many resources to prevent that happening. It is, in fact, what "rich" means.

As always, it's the not-rich who would suffer the most.

Right now I would hate to see the result of a famine in Ukraine or Russia or China, or what massive crop failures in Europe would mean for medical and humanitarian support in Africa.

Xelebes

Delerium ex Ennui
Registered
Reaction score
Okay, what does that mean? My dictionary isn't turning anything up.

Ait, ayot = Island (cognate of eyja)
Fell = Hill, Mountain (from Norse, fjalla)
Icle = chunk of ice, from the tautological English word icicle. Cognate of jökull.)

Last edited:

Alessandra Kelley

Sophipygian
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alessandrakelley.com
Dang it, you stole my joke!

...though, actually, I wonder if properly timed dispersal of particulates in the atmosphere could buy time for the creation and wide spread adoption of more sustainable forms of energy production and keep the planet's climate from becoming more destabilized.

I kind of doubt it would be easy...I can see it just as easily swinging too far the other way, which is just as bad.

I think what's more likely is that if a pollution haze cooled things down for a bit people would say "Ehhhh, it's okay now. No need to rush."

Or even worse, "Didn't I say it was a cycle and things would cool down again? I told you scientists don't know nothin'. Let's slash their funding."

Yeah, actually. It's already happening.

New attention to deep-water ocean currents have revealed that there seems to be a roughly thirty-year cycle of the Atlantic storing heat deep under its surface, then not.

It was storing heat during the period 1945-1975, and scientists at the time, noticing global temperatures, feared we were entering a new ice age.

Then it stopped, and the global effects of our greenhouse gas production stopped being masked, and scientists started warning people about global warming.

(Note that the earlier ice age theory was and still is used to discredit these scientists.)

Since about 2000, it appears that the Atlantic has been stowing heat again.

But rather than recognize that it's a natural cycle which may give us a serendipitous decade or so to vigorously ramp up pollution controls as much as possible and maybe squeak in some environmental damage-control before global temperatures start shooting up again in about 2025 ...

The same old anti-pollution-control crew are claiming that this is proof that global warming is a hoax, and of course we can go on burning and spraying and devouring resources as fast as our little hearts desire, and no future generation will ever curse us for our willful blindness and folly.

Last edited:

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
Last month it was announced that we have experienced 352 consecutive months of above-average monthly global temperatures, compared to the overall set of weather records dating back to the 1880s. Glaciers are retreating everywhere at easily-documented annual rates. Videographer James Balog has produced jawdropping long-term time-lapse videos of this phenomenon in Greenland, Alaska and Canada. Ice shelves along the Antarctic Coast and in Greenland are collapsing in dramatic fashion, revealed by satellite photography. In about twenty years there will be no glaciers in Glacier National Park or on the fabled summit of Kilimanjaro in Africa.

Yeah, it's a hoax.

caw

firedrake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
BBC have just posted this on Twitter.

Looks like it's gonna blow. :(

Cranky

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score