KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
Thank you.

My 13-year-old son hears his sister and I rant about it when we come home from our walks. The other day some neighbor kids catcalled a woman walking by with her dog. My son told them to knock it off, and that it wasn't cool. He then approached the woman and apologized that his friends were such jerks. Then his friends called him "gay" and he responded along the lines of "I don't know why you think that's an insult."

If only he'd clean his room and take his dirty socks off the coffee table, he'd be perfect.

You're almost there! Those two points will be cleared up eventually, I'm sure. (-;

My daughter was a SLOB growing up. But she also started a Free the Children initiative in her school...and has been an activist for equality her entire life. All that we had to be proud of, and I still couldn't hold my tongue when I walked into the bathroom and found her clothes strewn about. (-: I raised my kids to be respectful and proponents of equality in all its forms. They GOT it, thankfully. Your son sounds awesome!

StormChord

Allegedly Gullible
Registered
Reaction score
Nah, this is just gross. And overly defensive on the "not a gender traitor" front. But mostly gross.

If I'm trying to go somewhere and I have stuff on my mind, just being talked to by a random stranger is kind of weird. If said random stranger is catcalling or shouting "you got a name/number?" it just feels really skeezy. I don't think it's validating that someone I don't know and don't WANT to know finds my body appealing, and the fact that they feel the need to let me know about it is just gross and weird.

I really, REALLY hope she's kidding. But I don't think she is.

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Thank you.

My 13-year-old son hears his sister and I rant about it when we come home from our walks. The other day some neighbor kids catcalled a woman walking by with her dog. My son told them to knock it off, and that it wasn't cool. He then approached the woman and apologized that his friends were such jerks. Then his friends called him "gay" and he responded along the lines of "I don't know why you think that's an insult."

If only he'd clean his room and take his dirty socks off the coffee table, he'd be perfect.

Awesome kid, take a bow

CrastersBabies

Burninator!
Registered
Reaction score
Click-bait. That's pretty much all there is to it.

heza

Registered
Reaction score
This article reminded me that I like this video from upworthy about what men are really saying when they harass women. It's not meant to be validation.

Gravity

Seen 'em come, seen 'em go
Registered
Reaction score
Once you've heard the truth, everything else is ju
I worked construction to put myself through college, and only infrequently saw this kind of behavior.

Let me just say the guys who engaged in it were in no danger of the ladies reciprocating. :evil

Devil Ledbetter

Come on you stranger, you legend,
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I worked construction to put myself through college, and only infrequently saw this kind of behavior.

Let me just say the guys who engaged in it were in no danger of the ladies reciprocating. :evil
You bring up a good point. Construction workers are stereotyped and blamed for most catcalling. I have been catcalled thousands of times over the course of my life. It started when I was 13 and I'm sorry to say that at 50 I am still subjected to this dehumanizing garbage. But I don't know if I've ever been catcalled by a construction worker. 80% of the time its some cowardly morons driving by in monster truck.

kaitie

With great power comes
Registered
Reaction score
I'm still not convinced it's not satire/humor. I say that because I read an article a couple of days ago about breastfeeding that wasn't obvious satire, was run in a non-satire site, and wasn't labeled. After I read it, I was torn between being horribly offended and thinking it had to be a joke.

When I checked it out more closely, the author of the article had a book on parenting that was an obvious humor book. The article was something of an advertisement. Looking through the comments, about half the people got the humor, and half didn't.

I'm wondering if this is just a similar promotional sort of thing. The author does seem to be a humor writer, though I could be wrong on that.

SomethingOrOther

-
Registered
Reaction score
The entire thing is a troll.

I'm still not convinced it's not satire/humor.

Yah this, obviously.

We're sure this isn't sarcasm?

Seems like the majority of responders took it seriously, but OP framing — which seems to be pretty influential in general — is a large part of why. If it had been linked elsewhere without any context cues (e.g. "Hey look at this."), I'm pretty sure 90%+ would regard it as an attempt at satire.

Personally, I like to kick catcallers in the shin! And then bite them while they're doubled over in pain.

Last edited:

smalls

Registered
Reaction score

Yes, good response. She brings up a point that was mentioned upthread: catcalling isn't about the person on the receiving end being attractive, it's about the catcaller's insecurity and sense of entitlement.

If this was satire, I think it should have been labeled as such. Not so much for the women being addressed to determine if they should be offended but because if men read it and take it seriously and find validation in what she said. Now, I don't think all satire needs to be labeled (like Facebook is planning to do) but when it's something like this, yea I think it's kind of irresponsible not to label it as humor/satire if that's what it is.

Celia Cyanide

Joker Groupie
Registered
Reaction score
I think it's really bad satire because it's not funny. If it were good satire, it would highlight exactly why catcalling is not flattering at all.

Celia Cyanide

Joker Groupie
Registered
Reaction score