"Affluenza" is now a legitimate defense claim.

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
I heard his family isn't even writing a check. It's their insurance company that's paying for it.
The family probably had an umbrella policy. If you own a business or have any kind of substantial assets you probably would want to have this kind of insurance.
I've heard of an umbrella policy, but I had no clue you could get any kind of insurance policy that would pay for the results of your own or your family's illegal activity - your teen child driving way over the speed limit and under the influence of drugs (quotes from two articles linked in this thread):
Investigators said Couch was driving a pickup truck between 68 and 70 miles-per-hour in a 40 mph zone.
He was also on a lot of valium when he crashed into a car and killed four people and injured 9 others on June 15, 2013

Williebee

Capeless, wingless, & yet I fly.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ifoundaknife.com
Mr. Couch is back in the news. Not young Mr. Couch,

his dad.

The father of Ethan Couch was arrested Tuesday for allegedly impersonating a police officer.

Frederick Anthony Couch was taken into custody shortly before 11 a.m. on Tuesday by North Richland Hills police.

Police said North Richland Hills officers discovered Fred Couch while responding to an early morning incident on July 28. Officers found Fred Couch at the scene and told North Richland Hills police he was a reserve officer with the City of Lakeside.

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I wonder if they get a family rate on mugshots

Opty

Banned
Reaction score
“He kept putting his hands in his pocket, and that has a tendency to make officers nervous they don't know what your intensions are,” said Keith Bauman with the North Richland Hills Police Department.

:Wha:

Last edited:

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
In an utterly unsurprising series of developments, the Little Shit was first photographed violating his probation playing beer pong, though if anything was to come of that is unclear. Then, he failed to show up for a meeting with his probation officer, so a warrant was issued for his arrest. No one, however, can find him - or his mother. Gee.

Story here.

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

emveehesse

Registered
Reaction score
Wealth and power can get you anything simply because the world we live in was build - and will continually be reinforced - by wealth and power. Laws are written by men. Wealthy and powerful men to be exact. It only makes sense - not to say just - that these wealthy and powerful men can bend and manipulate the law so easily. It's not fair, but ... so it goes.

That being said, on the occasion that I am called to represent a client, who is tried for the same exact crimes as Mr. I'm-Lucky-I'm-Rich, but unlike him, is poor, and brought up by poor, unprivileged, uneducated parents, could I then argue that my client ought to skip jail, and be sent to treatment instead because his/her parents and background cause him/her to believe a core belief introduced and reinforced by parents and way of life) that living at the fringes of society, where you are so invisible and insignificant, erodes any rational between behaviour and consequences. If Mr. I'm-Lucky-I'm-Rich grew up thinking "I can do whatever I want because I am rich and powerful. No one can touch me," and my hypothetical client thinking, "I can do whatever I want because I am invisible and insignificant. No one can see me," then can it not be argued that both rich and poor client, despite different backgrounds ought to receive the same treatment (justice wise). Both are products of their parents' extreme worldviews.

Do you think this situation wold have turned out differently if Mr. I'm-Lucky-I'm-Rich were with a Mr. It-Sucks-to-be-Poor in the car?

Last edited:

LittlePinto

Perpetually confused
Registered
Reaction score
Mr. I'm-Lucky-I'm-Rich would claim Mr. It-Sucks-to-be-Poor was driving. The judge would believe him and Mr. It-Sucks-to-be-Poor would get ten years, while Mr. I'm-Lucky-I'm-Rich would be coddled because of the trauma of driving being in the car might be too much for his poor, delicate self.

shaldna

The cake is a lie. But still cake.
Registered
Reaction score
Wow. I'm....I wish I could say shocked, but I'm really just angry.

People go to prison for failing to pay their taxes and this kid walks scott free after killing four people while driving three times over the legal limit, dosed on valium and doing twice the speed limit just because mummy and daddy didn't set him boundaries?

Boo fucking hoo for him. Given his complete lack of respect for the terms of his probation he needs to have his ass hauled straight to jail.

LittlePinto

Perpetually confused
Registered
Reaction score
Wow. I'm....I wish I could say shocked, but I'm really just angry.

People go to prison for failing to pay their taxes and this kid walks scott free after killing four people while driving three times over the legal limit, dosed on valium and doing twice the speed limit just because mummy and daddy didn't set him boundaries?

Boo fucking hoo for him. Given his complete lack of respect for the terms of his probation he needs to have his ass hauled straight to jail.

I'm in favor of pitching Mommy in jail too, for aiding and abetting.

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score

From the article:
Terms of his probation forbid use of alcohol.

And, you know, the fact that's 17-18 and not 21, but I guess that doesn't matter, either.

I'm not sure why they're focused on Mexico. There are plenty of places with no extradition laws, and these two have apparently got the resources to get to one of them.

Tarrant county, which is where I was born and raised, is huge for a Texas county. Bigger than Austin. Bigger than San Antonio, and adjacent to Dallas, which is actually larger than Tarrant. It's almost 1000 square miles and holds nearly 2 million people, encompassing multiple towns and cities, and - more importantly - one of the largest airports in the country (DFW) as well as dozens upon dozens of smaller airfields and the only real public transportation systems in N. Texas (the DART rail in Dallas and The T in Ft. Worth). It's not hard to get from point A to point B in that area, and it's easy for the folks doing the official searching to get stretched very thin.

They're long, long gone.

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
From the article:

And, you know, the fact that's 17-18 and not 21, but I guess that doesn't matter, either.

I'm not sure why they're focused on Mexico. There are plenty of places with no extradition laws, and these two have apparently got the resources to get to one of them.

Tarrant county, which is where I was born and raised, is huge for a Texas county. Bigger than Austin. Bigger than San Antonio, and adjacent to Dallas, which is actually larger than Tarrant. It's almost 1000 square miles and holds nearly 2 million people, encompassing multiple towns and cities, and - more importantly - one of the largest airports in the country (DFW) as well as dozens upon dozens of smaller airfields and the only real public transportation systems in N. Texas (the DART rail in Dallas and The T in Ft. Worth). It's not hard to get from point A to point B in that area, and it's easy for the folks doing the official searching to get stretched very thin.

They're long, long gone.

I think you're looking at it as if we're talking about smart, wily people. Smart, wily people don't let themselves be filmed playing fucking beer pong on probation (or play it in the first place, as it's public and crowded), nor do they skip off right after missing a probation appointment for no reason. I'd wager they'll be found sooner rather than later - bet she'll use her cc or something dumbassed, because they're dumbasses.

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
True, but "stupid" people who can afford it will pay others to be smart for them. I can't image that someone hasn't at least tried to get them out of the country.

nighttimer

No Gods No Masters
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Just a thought...

I wonder if a 19-year-old Black kid named Ethan Couch could kill four people in a crash, paralyze one, and get probation so he can play beer pong and skidaddle outta the country with mommy?

Couch reportedly yelled after the incident, “I will get out of this, I am ETHAN COUCH!

Nah. I don't wonder at all.

As you were. :nothing

Last edited: