Converting Home DVDs on Mac

aruna

On a wing and a prayer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sharonmaas.co.uk
OK, here's the problem:

I had my old VHS home movies (mostly of my kids when they were small) converted to DVD. I now want to convert these yet again so I can edit, create clips etc, on my MacBook, perhaps on iMovie.

I searched on the Apple SUpport Forums and it seemed that HandBrake would do the trick, so I downloaded and installed it, slipped one of the DVD's into the drive and followed the instructions. Unfortunately, what I got was the following
error message:
HandBrake could not find a compatible version of libdvdcss (32-bit libdvdcss is not compatible with 64-bit HandBrake and vice-versa).

Followed by an option to download and install said software. When I tried doing that, I got another error message:
“libdvdcss.2.dylib” can’t be opened because it is from an unidentified developer.

and that MacOS would not allow the download.

What now? Has anyone here done this before? Do you know an easy way to do it, easy enough for a tech idiot who does not understand the jargon?

Thanks in advance!

ereadergold

Registered
Reaction score
Hi Aruna

Can't say I've had the need to do this myself but I did see this application that claims to be able to do it - http://www.leawo.com/dvd-ripper-mac/.

It's not a free program but it's pretty inexpensive and has a free trial so you could see if it is of use to you.

Hope it's of some help to you.

Bill

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
You might try to download the 32-bit version of Handbrake. It sounds like you got the 64-bit version.

Also, I think you need to have VLC installed to rip DVDs with Handbrake, if I remember correctly.

Try downloading VLC. Get the version that matches whichever bitness your copy of Handbrake is.

(Check Handbrake->About to see whether you have 32-bit or 64-bit Handbrake, and download the matching copy of VLC.)