Status
Not open for further replies.

kathleea

Card-carrying Geek
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kathleensallen.weebly.com
Just finished The Iron Witch by Kaz Mahoney. Great book but disappointed in ending (sequel is coming next year so no real resolutions...sigh). I'm onto Angelfire by Courtney Moulton. My TBR list includes The Iron King, Paranormalcy, City of Bones and Clockwork Angel and Storm Glass.

AlishaS

Is swimming with creativity frogs
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.averyolive.blogspot.com
I finished I heart You, You Haunt Me last night. And I will say, though the style of writing (Verse) was still iritating, it did make my eye's water at the end.

Parametric

Registered
Reaction score
Mmf. Finished ACR0SS THE UNIVERSE. A lot of the dystopian stuff was cookie-cutter, but there were some interestingly creepy parts. Pretty unimpressed by the ending though. The love interest is a psychopath who almost killed the heroine and is seriously considering reinstating the oppressive government he overthrew! But swoon as they walk happily off into the sunset hand in hand! :rolleyes:

adktd2bks

addicted to books
Registered
Reaction score
Para - your whiteout came through black on my email notice. Ah well. :)

Parametric

Registered
Reaction score
Para - your whiteout came through black on my email notice. Ah well. :)

Sorry! I didn't realise! It's just as well you said, because I was about to get my whited-out rant on some more. :tongue I shall continue steaming silently.

adktd2bks

addicted to books
Registered
Reaction score
It's okay. I probably would have read it even if you put a huge SPOILER alert on it. I'm too curious. Just thought it was funny that i read it and then clicked on the link and saw that part gone. :)

bertrigby

Dysfunctional dystopian
Registered
Reaction score
This week I've read How I Live Now, Shiver and The Ask and the Answer. All quite enjoyable. I had a few issues with Shiver but once I got into it I just went along for the ride...

deborahlea

queen of wandering
Registered
Reaction score
Website
deborah-bryan.com
I'm picking up Enthusiasm (Pully Shulman), The Monstrumologist (Richard Yancey) and Tender Morsels (Margo Lanagan) from the library this evening. I can't wait to start The Monstrumologist!

So far, I'm 3/3 for loving KittyPryde's recommends, so I'm looking forward to reading all three of these!

Smish

Reads more than she writes.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Bethany! What's this I see in your signature? Some new sales? :hooray:

DonnaDuck

My Worlds Are Building
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.imaginewrite.net
I'm a little more than halfway through Wither and I'm having some fundamental problems with the book. Like men living until they're 25 and women only until they're 20 with no rational explanation why. It's just how the virus works. Considering women traditionally have longer lifespans than men, I'm having a hard time swallowing this one.

Then there's how the whole of the planet died out and only North American is left. That's a huge suspension of disbelief that I don't think I'm all that willing to make. We're the only ones that were capable of sustaining life? I highly doubt that.

Then there's the patriarchal society. It was like insta-pat once the shit hit the fan. Men hunted out women for wives, went all polygamist, kept their wives prisoner and forced them to have babies in order to keep the species going. Considering women outnumber men on a planetary scale (from the last time I looked at statistics), I would think holding of the fate of the known world in their crochtal areas would make the bitches rise up and take control of the situation. You men want to further the species? It's on our terms now. So I'm taking issue that society has basically stepped back into the 19th century were women are only good for baby-making.

And then there's the Stockholm Syndrome. There are some things that are done to make the male interest more appealing but ultimately, it's a little repugnant.

The story's interesting enough and I'm going to keep reading to the end to see where it goes (granted it's the first in a trilogy so I'm anticipating some kind of cliffhanger) but I don't know if I'll keep reading. So far the MC has done nothing but wallow in self-pity and think about escaping. She makes one really stupid, bird-brained attempt and fails and then when the perfect opportunity presents itself, she passes in favor of gaining the male's trust to get out another way. Huh? If she hated it that much, she would have taken the opportunity when it presented itself and she didn't.

It's well written enough but I don't think there's enough here to keep me reading beyond this first book.

eastcoastgal

compulsive overeditor
Registered
Reaction score
Finished WHAT I SAW AND HOW I LIED which I loved and highly recommend for any fans of YA historical fiction, and HOW I LIVE NOW, which was beautifully written but just not my cup of tea at all.

adktd2bks

addicted to books
Registered
Reaction score
I finished D3ception by Lee Nich0ls last night. Wasn't all that impressed. I had no idea what the plot really was until about 1/2 way through and everything just felt really... rushed?

Then I started F1relight by S0phie J0rdan and finished it tonight. I really liked the premise and I could really feel the MC's struggle against her mother (and I wanted to strangle that sister of hers- haha). :) The description was very vivid. Looking forward to the sequel coming out in the fall.

Momento Mori

Tired and Disillusioned
Registered
Reaction score
I'm currently reading a junior book - MUNCLE TROGG by Janet Foxley, which is about a very small giant who finds himself having to save his giant community.However I've just scored a copy of THE DEMON'S SURRENDER by Sarah Rees Brennan, which isn't released until June, so I'm very excited to get stuck into it.MM

Parametric

Registered
Reaction score
However I've just scored a copy of THE DEMON'S SURRENDER by Sarah Rees Brennan, which isn't released until June, so I'm very excited to get stuck into it.

I would do somebody a serious injury for that book.

vfury

Hearts the furrily challenged.
Registered
Reaction score
I'm currently reading a junior book - MUNCLE TROGG by Janet Foxley, which is about a very small giant who finds himself having to save his giant community.However I've just scored a copy of THE DEMON'S SURRENDER by Sarah Rees Brennan, which isn't released until June, so I'm very excited to get stuck into it.MM

I would do somebody a serious injury for that book.

Agreed.

adktd2bks

addicted to books
Registered
Reaction score
Started and finished Handcuffs by Bethany Griffin last night. It was most excellent!! It's been a while since I've felt so compelled to finish a book in one night; I just couldn't stop reading (and I'm kind of paying for it this morning). :) It wasn't what I thought it was going to be about, though I wasn't disappointed at all. The characterization was spot on, the familial situation felt very real, and I was really crushing over the male love interest. I'm gushing here folks. :D

If you haven't read this one, pick it up!!

mellymel

Registered
Reaction score
Started and finished Handcuffs by Bethany Griffin last night. It was most excellent!! It's been a while since I've felt so compelled to finish a book in one night; I just couldn't stop reading (and I'm kind of paying for it this morning). :) It wasn't what I thought it was going to be about, though I wasn't disappointed at all. The characterization was spot on, the familial situation felt very real, and I was really crushing over the male love interest. I'm gushing here folks. :D

If you haven't read this one, pick it up!!

oooh...YAY!!!!!! About to download that one on to my iPad. Read the excerpt she had of chapter 4 on her site and was HOOKED. Can't wait to read it!!! Will start tonight!

Status
Not open for further replies.