Centennial Park in Nashville

Rachael_A

Registered
Reaction score
Hi there!

I'm having some characters jump into Lake Watauga (the one by the Parthenon) in Centennial Park in Nashville, TN.

I've looked at pictures online, but I can't figure out how deep it is. Would they be able to touch the bottom? Would it only come up to their calves? Does it get deeper out by the fountain?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Rachael

p.s. - There is a different Lake Watauga that is not in Nashville. It's giant, and it's not the one I'm talking about.

mrsmig

Write. Write. Writey Write Write.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
My sister lives in the Nashville area and I've asked her to see what she can find out (she LOVES research like this). She's been to Lake Watauga a number of times and says she thinks it's pretty shallow. She also says the lake is FILTHY and can't imagine anyone going into it of their own accord. Here's a news article to back that up.

I'll let you know what she finds out.

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I live in Nashville, not far from Centennial Park. I'm not exactly sure how deep it is at the deepest point, but I would guess that it's at least waist high or more. It's more than calf deep. If your character jump in near the perimeter they could stand up.

There were some geese frozen in the lake a few weeks ago. Someone had to rescue them using a kayak.

Last edited:

Rachael_A

Registered
Reaction score
My sister lives in the Nashville area and I've asked her to see what she can find out (she LOVES research like this). She's been to Lake Watauga a number of times and says she thinks it's pretty shallow. She also says the lake is FILTHY and can't imagine anyone going into it of their own accord. Here's a news article to back that up.

I'll let you know what she finds out.

Thank you so much!!!

Also, ewwwwww. "noticeable smell eminating from the water"
I may have to rethink this scene. They're jumping in on a dare, so it could still work even if it's gross, but as of now I have them splashing around and enjoying it. Maybe not. :)

ETA: And thanks, alleycat! That's kind of what I was imagining/hoping for.

Last edited:

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
By the way, no one here actually calls it Lake Watauga. That is it's name, but no one cares.

And it's not THAT gross.

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
My pretend daughter walks her dog at Centennial Park (she lives close by). I can have her take some photos near the edge of the lake (which is really a big pond) if you need them.

Rachael_A

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, guys! That's really helpful to know that no one actually calls it "Lake Watauga" in Nashville!

Alleycat - You are awesome! Would you mind just asking her (if it isn't too weird) if she thinks people dared to jump in the lake would splash around and be silly or jump in and jump right back out to complete the dare because it's gross? Most of the pictures looked beautiful, but then a few looked pretty bad, so it's hard to say.

wendymarlowe

writer, mother, geek
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.etsy.com
Drove past this today and intended to stop, but even though it was 60+ degrees today everything was still iced over and I figured it probably wasn't worth annoying my husband (who was with me) for a picture you wouldn't find useful :p

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Alleycat - You are awesome! Would you mind just asking her (if it isn't too weird) if she thinks people dared to jump in the lake would splash around and be silly or jump in and jump right back out to complete the dare because it's gross? Most of the pictures looked beautiful, but then a few looked pretty bad, so it's hard to say.

Someone would probably jump in on the east side where it's shallow and where there is a very short wall (I think it's deeper on the west side, but I'm not really sure since I've never jumped in). Someone could jump in and jump around. Would I jump and splash about on a $20 bet? Heck, yeah, no problem (although I would remove my shoes).

I think the "grossness" depends on the time of year. Probably some times there is more of an algae bloom since the "lake" is really a large pond. There used to be paddle boat rentals there, so it not like it was so gross that people didn't go out on the water. I used to met a friend for lunch there all the time. We would sit near the lake.

Belle_91

With her nose stuck in a book
Registered
Reaction score
I always thought it was really gross because there are a lot of ducks and geese who hang out there and make it a mess.

Also, the ducks and the geese at the Parthenon WILL chase you down if you have food.

Also, are your characters there at night? Because it can be pretty scary at night, and there are a lot of homeless people there. I know a couple of people who have gotten mugged.

Anyways, in the summertime they do an outdoor movie thing which is pretty awesome. People bring blankets, food, wine...and watch movies. They also do swing dancing outside in the summer, and MANY of my friends were in Shakespeare in the Park.

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions about Nashville. I grew up there, and my own story takes place there though in the 1830s.

mrsmig

Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
My research-crazy sister in Nashville reports as follows:

"Lake Watauga is 8 feet deep tapering down to 11 feet deep at the deepest point."

Rachael_A

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you so much, everybody! This helps so much! Also, sorry for the delayed thank you - I had a baby last week :)

mrsmig

Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Congratulations!

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
There was a news story this morning about the cleanup underway at Lake Watauga.