Rejectomancy

mhaynes

practical experience, FTW
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.michaelhaynes.info
Painful 43-day form rejection from Apex. After it passed the thirty-five day mark I had hope it was going places...

Ouch, indeed. That "hope" can really sting...

And Anatoly, you should definitely give Izz's Comets & Criminals a shot. It's a new market, but it publishes quality stuff.

Seconded. I enjoyed the first issue and need to see about picking up the second.

I just looked at their guidelines. It says this.

By submitting your horror short fiction work to Dark Moon Books, you are assigning Dark Moon Books exclusive First World Rights for both print and electronic versions for a period of six months after publication. After that time period, you are free to resell your story as a reprint as long as first publication information is included. You keep all other rights including the original copyright.

To me it sounds like they have rights to your story from the moment its submitted, regardless of whether they accept it or not.
Am I reading it wrong?

That's how it reads. May not be what they mean, but they went onto my "Do Not Submit To" list anyway.

alexshvartsman

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
That's how it reads. May not be what they mean, but they went onto my "Do Not Submit To" list anyway.

I'm not sure this is problematic. If you're interested in submitting a story there, I'd just query for clarification. Pretty sure they meant to list the rights they're asking for on the stories that get accepted.

I'm more concerned with the pay rate. They don't take flash and they pay 1c/word or less. I'd consider sending them a trunk story if I had one that fits, but doubt I'll write something specifically for that market.

victoriajakes

let me tell you about my dogs
Registered
Reaction score
Painful 43-day form rejection from Apex. After it passed the thirty-five day mark I had hope it was going places, what with the common 5-15 day rejections they have been serving for the past few months. No such luck.

Hugs for you! That's a hard one. Did you get any kind of tier? Does Apex even do tiers? I'm at 23 days now, but I guess this is a sign to not get hopes up.

Marzioli

Could be worse!
Registered
Reaction score
Hugs for you! That's a hard one. Did you get any kind of tier? Does Apex even do tiers? I'm at 23 days now, but I guess this is a sign to not get hopes up.
Thanks (and to Alex too) for the sympathy! I've received a few rejections from Apex before, but this is the first from their new email system. Judging by the formal, simple response, I believe it was standard form rejection. The only difference is that it was sent from the submissions editor and not the Team.

Project Deadlight

Registered
Reaction score
Just had a double rejection for the same story... Not sure what to do with him now. He had been turned down 16 times and I have always thought he was a bit of a runt so maybe I should retire him? But some of the comments back have been quite encouraging.

And big group hug for all the Rs. February will be our month...

Sai

Book lover/Spy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kuri-ousity.com
Just had a double rejection for the same story... Not sure what to do with him now. He had been turned down 16 times and I have always thought he was a bit of a runt so maybe I should retire him? But some of the comments back have been quite encouraging.

And big group hug for all the Rs. February will be our month...

Don't retire him, just put him on the backburner until you are a famous author and can have sell all your trunk stories :). Or wait until a new relevant market comes onto the scene and sub it there.

ohthatmomagain

writing, working, weeping, winning
Registered
Reaction score
2 Rs today.

But I got 3 new blog followers and more participants for the Bible in 90 days challenge I'm hosting (huzzah!).. I didn't stay down about the Rs for long :)

Last edited:

Marzioli

Could be worse!
Registered
Reaction score
R from Flash Fiction Online. I suppose they only include some kind of reader responses when it makes it to higher stages?

alexshvartsman

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sorry about the R, Sam.

R from Flash Fiction Online. I suppose they only include some kind of reader responses when it makes it to higher stages?

That has, indeed, been my experience. (Got one of each form and personal, so far.)

defcon6000

Banned
Reaction score
Finally got my R from Washington Pastime -- no biggie, it was a sim-sub, anyway. But I got double whammy, said "the prose is could use some fine-tuning" AND my "pacing needs smoothing out". They're really stepping up on these form R's. :tongue

ETA: re-reading those sentences, and it sounds like their prose could use some smoothing out.

Marzioli

Could be worse!
Registered
Reaction score
ETA: re-reading those sentences, and it sounds like their prose could use some smoothing out.
I lol'ed in real life. (In the past, while reading through dozens of their personal R's someone had posted online, I noticed they made many similar mistakes).

defcon6000

Banned
Reaction score
I lol'ed in real life. (In the past, while reading through dozens of their personal R's someone had posted online, I noticed they made many similar mistakes).
Maybe we should form a club "Reject the Rejection Letter". :D

Marzioli

Could be worse!
Registered
Reaction score
Maybe we should form a club "Reject the Rejection Letter". :D
Exactly. I've already thought of one:

"Dear Editor, your rejection letter doesn't quite fit our needs at this time. I liked the concept, but noted uneven prose."

Marzioli

Could be worse!
Registered
Reaction score
Non-response from Result Jelly. I waited patiently for 108 days, but in that entire time they never rejected a single duotrope user. They claimed it was because they never received any duotrope user submissions, and then that they accidentally lost 80+ submissions (all, or some, presumably, duotrope). Then they just stopped updating anything--not their blog, not twitter and not their facebook page.

I'm not sure what they're playing at, but two other facts (besides the duotrope matter) made me wonder about these guys:
1) They jumped out through the gate as a pro market with no stated source of backing (i.e. a publishing house, a well known author, or any indication of experience at all).
and
2) They refused to tell me the name of their editor when I asked directly. (Their response was, "'Dear editor' is fine").

Anyway, now to query Borderlands 6 (101 days) and, maybe Bullspec (90 days), about the stalls. I noticed Borderlands had a withdrawal request (down to 30 total pendings). And Bullspec is still in the hundreds, despite having been closed for months. Curious.

Marzioli

Could be worse!
Registered
Reaction score
I'm waiting on responses from both of those markets myself. Have you subbed to any Borderlands anthologies before? I don't know how long I should be expecting to wait.
I haven't. They have a great reputation, though, so I don't suspect they'll just leave us hanging. However, it is strange that the deadline was October and they don't have a single update to the status of the project since then. Unfortunately I don't know if that's uncommon either.

mhaynes

practical experience, FTW
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.michaelhaynes.info
FWIW, there were about 20 rejections from Bull Spec earlier this week on Duotrope.

I'm still waiting there (~105 days) and Stupefying Stories (got to be getting close to 80 days) myself...

alexshvartsman

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I haven't. They have a great reputation, though, so I don't suspect they'll just leave us hanging. However, it is strange that the deadline was October and they don't have a single update to the status of the project since then. Unfortunately I don't know if that's uncommon either.

The withdrawal request at Borderlands 6 was from me. The story has sold elsewhere, and I'm waiting for permission to announce the sale (it's a very nice market!)

Borderlands Press editors responded promptly to my withdrawal. They apologized for not getting to my (and other) stories sooner, stating that they received 700+ submissions and will be reading all of them. They're busy with their writing workshop in January and will likely get cranking on the slush next month.

In short, I would not query yet. Those guys are on the ball, and they allow simultaneous submissions precisely because they know their response would take a while.