New Amazon Rating Row

Status
Not open for further replies.

juniper

Always curious.
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
People do pay others to write both good and bad reviews. CNet is full of them. Companies will give their own products rave reviews while disguising themselves as a random, or enthusiastic, customer.

Oh crap. I've been reading cnet reviews about digital cameras. Now I don't know what to believe. I want a new camera!

I think Consumer Reports is still trustworthy, no? They used to say they didn't accept advertising or freebies. I haven't looked there in a long time.

Jack Parker

Sleep is only caffeine deprivation.
Registered
Reaction score
Oh crap. I've been reading cnet reviews about digital cameras. Now I don't know what to believe. I want a new camera!

I think Consumer Reports is still trustworthy, no? They used to say they didn't accept advertising or freebies. I haven't looked there in a long time.
CNet reviews are to be avoided. I'm sure there are valid ones there but distinguishing them among the paid ones isn't always easy. A friend of mine who is an electronic gadget fanatic told me that Consumer Reports is better but not by much.

Aruna is the perfect example of being smart. Amazon reviews are great for the most part. When you find one that strikes you, click on the user and check out their other ratings to see how often they rate/comment and what they're rating and commenting on. You can pretty much tell from that.

Another suggestion, that I've had friends recommend, is to go to YouTube and find videos whose quality you like. Leave a comment asking them what kind of camera they use. (If you're looking for a video camera, that is.) I've seen a lot of comments asking that question. I've even seen a lot of people include that information either at the end of their videos or in the video description.

Other than that, go from review site to review site and compare reviews for the model you're interested in. If you find consistency in the reviews, you can pretty much go with it.

aruna

On a wing and a prayer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sharonmaas.co.uk
The alternative - restricting reviews to paying customers - has a nice clean simplicity to it, but I think it probably means fewer reviews and less discussion on the site. I think Amazon would rather be a little wilder and woollier than that, though, they like being a bit of a social network, and they do moderate. (They're not averse to deleting reviews if they are obviously unfair - I'm just not sure how all-seeing their eyes are.)

I think, as well, that it would not provide a significant enough financial barrier to anyone who wanted to game the system - they'd have to feel a positive or negative review would be influential enough to justify buying a copy.
QFT

Aruna is the perfect example of being smart. Amazon reviews are great for the most part. When you find one that strikes you, click on the user and check out their other ratings to see how often they rate/comment and what they're rating and commenting on. You can pretty much tell from that.
Hey, I'm even smarter than you think! ;) I discovered yesterday that by hovering your cursor above the reviewer's name the number of his/her reviews shows up immediately, saving time! A pity so few people know this!

As for Ms Alison, this is just being extremely thin skinned. 16 one star reviews out of 116 total is NOT evidence of a smear campaign. And assuming that some of those one-stars are genuine, written by frequent reviewers and/or Vine reviewers, that means maybe only 6 or 7 or 8 of them might be fake. All she has done is drawn attention to the book; if more people read it she will certainly get more bad reviews, as evidenced on the goodreads site

citymouse

fantasy dweller
Registered
Reaction score
Aruna, I just wandered over to goodreads.com. Just for fun I searched my 4 books. Yikes! Two got 3*s and one got 4*s. Sadly the best one, IMO, was not review/rated.
C

aruna

On a wing and a prayer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sharonmaas.co.uk
I got some amazing reviews on goodreads. The first book, 36 5*, book 2, 15 5*, book 3 9 5*. None of them have 1* reviews, a couple 2*. I didn't even know the books were on that site till recently. Did you know you can also identify yourself as the author and have an author page? I set mine up and have started to "friend" all the people who reviewed the books. What name are you there under?

Jack Parker

Sleep is only caffeine deprivation.
Registered
Reaction score
QFT

Hey, I'm even smarter than you think! ;) I discovered yesterday that by hovering your cursor above the reviewer's name the number of his/her reviews shows up immediately, saving time! A pity so few people know this!
Well, I'm not surprised that you're the one who figured it out!

As for Ms Alison, this is just being extremely thin skinned...
Sadly the world has become incredibly thin-skinned due to the wonder that it 'political correctness.' People are highly over-sensitive about the littlest things these days. Even the things that don't involve them.

Status
Not open for further replies.