Obama's Plan -- Foreign Affairs Speech 07/15/08

mscelina

Teh doommobile, drivin' rite by you
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Going shopping with Soccer Mom and Bubastes for fu
I'll link to the actual text of the speech as soon as it's released, but here's the outline of what his speech today will cover:

http://primebuzz.kcstar.com/?q=node/13009

In addition to ending the Iraq war and shifting American forces to Afghanistan, Obama said his five-point strategy would:
—Secure "all nuclear weapons and materials from terrorists and rogue nations."
—Achieve "true energy security."
—Rebuild "our alliances to meet the challenges of the 21st century."

Let's see what his strategies to acheive these goals actually are.

mscelina

Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Here's the link to the full text of the speech.

http://tpmelectioncentral.talkingpointsmemo.com/2008/07/full_text_of_obamas_iraq_speec.php

Hmmm....anyone else notice what I did?

I will use all elements of American power to pressure the Iranian regime, starting with aggressive, principled and direct diplomacy - diplomacy backed with strong sanctions and without preconditions.

There will be careful preparation. I commend the work of our European allies on this important matter, and we should be full partners in that effort. Ultimately the measure of any effort is whether it leads to a change in Iranian behavior. That's why we must pursue these tough negotiations in full coordination with our allies, bringing to bear our full influence - including, if it will advance our interests, my meeting with the appropriate Iranian leader at a time and place of my choosing.

We will pursue this diplomacy with no illusions about the Iranian regime. Instead, we will present a clear choice. If you abandon your nuclear program, support for terror, and threats to Israel, there will be meaningful incentives. If you refuse, then we will ratchet up the pressure, with stronger unilateral sanctions; stronger multilateral sanctions in the Security Council, and sustained action outside the UN to isolate the Iranian regime. That's the diplomacy we need. And the Iranians should negotiate now; by waiting, they will only face mounting pressure.

On the other hand, he also sound a bit war-hawkish at times.

The greatest threat to that security lies in the tribal regions of Pakistan, where terrorists train and insurgents strike into Afghanistan. We cannot tolerate a terrorist sanctuary, and as President, I won't. We need a stronger and sustained partnership between Afghanistan, Pakistan and NATO to secure the border, to take out terrorist camps, and to crack down on cross-border insurgents. We need more troops, more helicopters, more satellites, more Predator drones in the Afghan border region. And we must make it clear that if Pakistan cannot or will not act, we will take out high-level terrorist targets like bin Laden if we have them in our sights.

Make no mistake: we can't succeed in Afghanistan or secure our homeland unless we change our Pakistan policy. We must expect more of the Pakistani government, but we must offer more than a blank check to a General who has lost the confidence of his people. It's time to strengthen stability by standing up for the aspirations of the Pakistani people.

Here are some other main points I found interesting:

--he wants to send 2 additional combat brigades to Afghanistan
--he wants to send $1b non-military assistance each year to Afghanistan
--he wants to invest $150b over 10 years to put us on path of true energy security
--he want to set goal of 80% reduction of global emission by 2050
--he wants to double foreign assist by 2012--$50 billion annually

Some interesting things to chew on, and I have a feeling that many, many people will be chewing it up over the next day or so. McCain will here in a few minutes; I'm sure I'll be back to do the same as soon as I get something to eat. Oh! That reminds me of something:

That means people competing for food and water in the next fifty years in the very places that have known horrific violence in the last fifty: Africa, the Middle East, and South Asia. Most disastrously, that could mean destructive storms on our shores, and the disappearance of our coastline.

Better eat now before the storm hits. ;)

Robert Toy

FOB and Slayer of windmills
Registered
Reaction score
IMHO, Obama should have made this speech after he visited the M.E.

mscelina

Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
You think?

I was kind of fascinated by the dollars he was tossing about so freely too. Good lord.

If you look at his energy portions of the speech, I don't see one concrete example of what he plans to do. I see a goal, I see money, I see R&D for any sort of alternative energy--but I don't see anything--ANYTHING--about how to resolve our current crisis at all.

That and sneaking the no pre-conditions thing back in. I guess that means that despite his flip-flop on saying that earlier in the campaign, he's going back to his original stance on it. As for his plans for Afghanistan and/or Pakistan--doesn't it sound like he's actually going to keep us involved in the Middle East longer?

I'm still digesting this one. I'm going to pull up McCain's speech in the Town Hall meeting later and compare/contrast the two.

Robert Toy

Registered
Reaction score
You think?

I was kind of fascinated by the dollars he was tossing about so freely too. Good lord.

If you look at his energy portions of the speech, I don't see one concrete example of what he plans to do. I see a goal, I see money, I see R&D for any sort of alternative energy--but I don't see anything--ANYTHING--about how to resolve our current crisis at all.
What crisis?

That and sneaking the no pre-conditions thing back in.
"At a time and place of my choosing."

mscelina

Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, I thought that was pretty funny too.

No pre-conditions, but at a time and place of my choosing--which I have to say struck me kind of the wrong way. Almost dictatorial, in a way.

Could be the migraine.

And what crisis?

*eyes Robert suspiciously*

I'd call war a crisis, regardless of how it's going, who's fighting it, and where it is. *shrugs* If my choice of words offends thee, or mighty spewer forth of the Devil's Advocate position, then please, I beseech thee--argue with words instead of innuendo.

*curtsies*

Thank you very much. Carry on.

:D

Robert Toy

Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, I thought that was pretty funny too.

No pre-conditions, but at a time and place of my choosing--which I have to say struck me kind of the wrong way. Almost dictatorial, in a way.

Could be the migraine.

And what crisis?

*eyes Robert suspiciously*

I'd call war a crisis, regardless of how it's going, who's fighting it, and where it is. *shrugs* If my choice of words offends thee, or mighty spewer forth of the Devil's Advocate position, then please, I beseech thee--argue with words instead of innuendo.

*curtsies*

Thank you very much. Carry on.

Dear Migraine,

Today it was a foreign policy speech, and touched briefly on eliminating our dependence on foreign oil, ending the war in Iraq, kicking ass in Afghanistan, etc.

My reference innuendo was related to the domestic crisis, banking, inflation, housing, gasoline prices, etc., which was not addressed.

Tomorrow's episode may address these issues.

mscelina

Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
This speech was supposed to be directed only at foreign affairs, and, by default, the energy crisis. I think he made a reference in his speech to addressing domestiv affairs more thoroughly tomorrow?

Nope:

And I'll develop new defenses to protect against the 21st century threat of biological weapons and cyber-terrorism - threats that I'll discuss in more detail tomorrow.

mscelina

Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
The Washington Post has an interesting editorial about Obama's foreign affairs speech. I find it interesting because it's a very unexpected blast against the candidate and quite out of place with the Post's normal ideology in politics.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/07/15/AR2008071502531_pf.html

BARACK OBAMA yesterday accused President Bush and Sen. John McCain of rigidity on Iraq: "They said we couldn't leave when violence was up, they say we can't leave when violence is down." Mr. Obama then confirmed his own foolish consistency. Early last year, when the war was at its peak, the Democratic candidate proposed a timetable for withdrawing all U.S. combat forces in slightly more than a year. Yesterday, with bloodshed at its lowest level since the war began, Mr. Obama endorsed the same plan. After hinting earlier this month that he might "refine" his Iraq strategy after visiting the country and listening to commanders, Mr. Obama appears to have decided that sticking to his arbitrary, 16-month timetable is more important than adjusting to the dramatic changes in Iraq.

Robert Toy

Registered
Reaction score