Can you scare off an agent by blogging here?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rohitwow

Registered
Reaction score
I know this sounds pretty lame, and even questions what I'm doing here, but what if you had a doubt about a really good agent, and posted here to dispel that very doubt, what if the agent happened to see it, could you just blow your chances with him/her? .... !!!

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
If an agent was scared off by your asking a legitimate question, is that agent really someone you want to work with?

Karen Junker

Live a little. Write a lot.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.CascadeWriters.com
Chances are small if you don't use your real name or link to any of the titles of your work that an agent will find your posts here -- though they are on the internet.

Toothpaste

THE RECKLESS RESCUE is out now!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.adriennekress.com
Okay, people are being a little silly here, and I just wanted explain the meaning behind some of the warnings you've got, just so you don't think they are being dismissive of your post etc.

Caps lock: Typing with the caps lock on makes it come across like you are shouting. Agents obviously aren't afraid of capital letters, but All Caps can make an agent cringe because it seems like you are yelling at them. Now I don't think you would send anything to them all caps, especially because your post isn't in all caps. I think what you did was create a title of a thread in all caps because you thought it looked more like a proper title. But you don't have to do that here, and it will come across as shouting even though that is so not your intention. Ditto if you made the subject line of a query letter to an agent in all caps. It is best not to do it. The exception is when you are putting the title of your book in the query letter itself.

The second point from herdon is just clarifying terms for you. You don't blog on a forum, you post on one. Sometimes, like you did here, you start what is called a thread.

As to your actual question, you are free to post a doubt and any agent worth his/her salt shouldn't take offense, so long as you post it in a reasonable fashion. Something like, "I hear Ms. Smith is a bitch" is not so fantastic. But something like, "I hear Ms. Smith isn't good at communicating with her clients and has broken contracts" is better.

But make sure before you post anything that you do a search. Tons of agencies have been posted about here on AW, and you might find the answer to your question without even having to start a thread.

Good luck and welcome to AW!

amyashley

Stunt-Writer
Registered
Reaction score
Actually, it does depend on what you are doing and what you are asking. You need to be discreet and professional during the querying process and the signing process. There are some people who have lost their chances because they were not. It is best to leave names out. It is best to be very clear about what is going on and what is not. In other words, don't go about saying you have an offer of representation if a) you do not have an actual offer (an agent saying "I would like to represent you") or b) If the agent has asked that you wait a period of time before announcing anything.

Asking questions about a specific agent is best done in the threads here on each agent/agency. It's expected there. Also, it's always a good idea NOT to bad mouth. Even if someone is rotten to you, it's poor business practice.

If you have a question about what an agent is doing, asking, or what is happening, find a way to ask without naming names. Again, this keeps it professional and preserves your reputation and the agent's.

You have EVERY RIGHT to ask.
Everyone is correct that a GOOD agent might read, and won't be bothered at all. They'll respect you more for researching and looking. They'll have sound practices that will stand up to scrutiny. Make sure YOUR research stands up to scrutiny too though. Be respectful in your questioning and wait for us to tell you if something isn't cool.

Phaeal

Whatever I did, I didn't do it.
Registered
Reaction score
Only if you leave the CAPS LOCK on. Agents are deathly afraid of capital letters.

Definitely. Overuse of CAPS is to agents as silver is to werewolves.

The main thing is: Don't sound like you'd be a bitch to work with. That definitely means no ragging on specific agents. Actually, ragging on agents or editors in general is not a great idea. Especially if the substance of your ragging is that nobody's picked up your MS, what a buncha mean and unfair idiots.

Last edited:

AlishaS

Is swimming with creativity frogs
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.averyolive.blogspot.com
A few weeks ago I posted a few questions about some publishing companies that I was considering contracts for. One of the owners of one of the publishing contracts saw the thread, new it was me (I wasn't overly original in picking my name) and answered the question. She was really good about it, but it did scare the crap out of me.
And of course she did the, if you have any questions ask me directly. But I wanted overall opinions and of course not from the company I was considering.

So, honestly if the company or agent doesn't like that you've ask legitimate questions then they are probably not the company/agent you want to go with.

roseangel

Crazy Young Cat Lady
Registered
Reaction score
Well, as long as you aren't making posts like this:

(Here! Have a badly written example!)
Agent so-so is a *bleep* *Bleepy* *bleepity* who could not recognize my utter genius!!! I submitted my 600k erotic thriller humorous social commentary work to this educational childrens picture book agent and they rejected me!!!!!11!!
How could they not see my genius?!?!?! They should be *bleeped* *bleepers* *bleeping* *bleeps* up a flag pole with razor wire!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Come like minded peoples! Let us storm this agents office with torchs and pitchforks and *For bleeps sake* *honest to bleepy goodness* *its bleeperation time!* with a watermelon, a baby goat and a print out of Eye of Argon!
(End bad example)

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
I'm considering changing my name.

Soccer Mom

Crypto-fascist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I took the title out of caps. My eyes are happier already.

Carry on.

Mr Flibble

They've been very bad, Mr Flibble
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We couldn't possibly do that. Who'd clear up the m
Website
francisknightbooks.co.uk

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
I want to own them all.

Gravity

Seen 'em come, seen 'em go
Registered
Reaction score
Once you've heard the truth, everything else is ju
Well, as long as you aren't making posts like this:

(Here! Have a badly written example!)
Agent so-so is a *bleep* *Bleepy* *bleepity* who could not recognize my utter genius!!! I submitted my 600k erotic thriller humorous social commentary work to this educational childrens picture book agent and they rejected me!!!!!11!!
How could they not see my genius?!?!?! They should be *bleeped* *bleepers* *bleeping* *bleeps* up a flag pole with razor wire!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Come like minded peoples! Let us storm this agents office with torchs and pitchforks and *For bleeps sake* *honest to bleepy goodness* *its bleeperation time!* with a watermelon, a baby goat and a print out of Eye of Argon!
(End bad example)

Dang. You've just given me the plot for my next novel. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.