science fiction for children?

lianna williamson

Registered
Reaction score
Oh, how could I forget Wondla? ...Husband read them and described them more as Steampunk-ish.

I disagree. They are straight-up Sci-Fi: far future, strange new world, aliens, weird technologies, girl raised by a robot in an underground bunker. I love steampunk, but to me this is not it; it's Science Fiction.

Torgo

Formerly Phantom of Krankor.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
torgoblog.blogspot.com
SF Said has a book out recently called PHOENIX, with art by Dave McKean.

From a while back, check out John Christopher's TRIPODS trilogy, and anything by Nicholas Fisk.

Darkwriter_

Registered
Reaction score
My first thought was Eion Colfer's Artemis Fowl books, but the lean more fantasy (with sci-fi elements) then straight sci-fi

I would classify it as sci-fi. There's so much emphasis on technology in that series, much less on the magic part. (Notice how Holly always runs out?) At least until No1 gets involved. The plot also revolves around Artemis thinking his way out of a situation, instead of depending on magic, and I would say at the core that is very sci-fi.

Another great Sci-Fi book for kids is "The Missing Series" by Margaret Peterson Haddix. I had no idea that this was sci-fi until one day I was trying to help a student find a book, and she told me that she had just read the series and it was about TIME TRAVEL. I recently read the first book, "Sent." Most of it feels like realistic fiction, until you get to the end, but that's just evidence of how well Haddix sets up the series.