Purgatory's Pit of Doom

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cricket18

Gnawing my hairless tail
Registered
Reaction score
(((Pit)))

Cripes, it's stinky in these parts, er, stinkier than usual.

Can't believe I'm doing this, but I'm shelving my MG after only 40 or so queries. I think I may try again at some point, but right now it feels like a lesson in futility.

Still sick. Good news: not pneumonia. Bad news: (direct quote from my doctor) "Yep, you've got a virus."

He actually volunteered to write me a doctor's note to stay home for 2 days. :Wha:

mario_c

Your thoughts are not real...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.mariocaiti.com
I was thinking the same thing... and even though I'm not Christian either, I loved A Christmas Story.

I got an R today which really hurt me for the first time. Not because I really expected her to request, not because I'd hoped she'd remember that we had corresponded and mention it. Not because I thought I did a great job tailoring my query or because I was so enthusiastic about my newly rewritten opening; it was all these things together with the beginning of losing hope. Seventeen form rejections, and not one request?

I am feeling teenaged and lachrymose. I feel like relabeling the folders in my email to say things like "Crushed Dreams" (rejections), or "Hopeless Pining (sent)" like a faery kingdom in Jonathan Strange. (If you don't know what I'm talking about, you must read it).

And I hope we all will be feeling better soon. The prolonged illness just adds to the melancholy.

ETA: Just writing that made me feel better!
I like that - "Teenaged and lachrymose". That would make sense even if I didn't know what that meant.
I have an eMail folder called "Query Fail". 250 Rs and growing, with 400 silent rejections in the plain "Sent Queries" folder. All for four requests. (This is for five query worthy scripts over the course of as many years, so it sounds worse than it is. But still.)

clare

Registered
Reaction score
(((Pit)))

Cripes, it's stinky in these parts, er, stinkier than usual.

Can't believe I'm doing this, but I'm shelving my MG after only 40 or so queries. I think I may try again at some point, but right now it feels like a lesson in futility.

Still sick. Good news: not pneumonia. Bad news: (direct quote from my doctor) "Yep, you've got a virus."

He actually volunteered to write me a doctor's note to stay home for 2 days. :Wha:

{{{{{cricket}}}}}

Maybe when you get over the virus it will be easier to go on querying.

Snappy

A new year, a new avatar
Registered
Reaction score
(((Cricket))) (((Mario)))

And we move on from sucky Monday to sucky Tuesday. And yes, I have dubbed sucky a word!

Cricket18

Gnawing my hairless tail
Registered
Reaction score
Got sick on Friday, feel 80% today. Is that abnormal?? Suddenly I'm worried. My doc says most viruses last 5-10 days. Not that I've ever claimed to be normal....

:(

kellion92

A cat may not look at a king
Registered
Reaction score
Some viruses pass super fast -- they call them 24-hour bugs for a reason. Glad you're on the mend. Maybe strong enough to send queries? If you're already nauseated and miserable, why not?

PrincessofPersia

Registered
Reaction score
Got sick on Friday, feel 80% today. Is that abnormal?? Suddenly I'm worried. My doc says most viruses last 5-10 days. Not that I've ever claimed to be normal....

:(

Everyone's immune system is different. I had the swine flu last year and was only out of commission for two days. It was a tremendously horrible two days, but by the end of the second day, I was well enough that I could have gone to class or work or whatever. And then I've had colds last months. *shrug*

soulcascade

Bright lights induce scuttling
Registered
Reaction score
What PoP said. {{{Cricket}}} FWIW if you got sick on Friday (presumably Friday that just passed) then that's 'only' five days, right? that's still in the 'normal' range according to your doctor *dodges wadded up Kleenex that Cricket threw at my head*

Leigh.Lyons

Bored Fanatic
Registered
Reaction score
Ooooooh, Cricket's got a virus. Lucky her. ;)

I for one like Daylight Saving Time, and I'm under no delusion that it makes the day longer. It just moves the daylight to a point in time when I can use it.
I like it too.... but then I don't have to be to work at a specific time or anything. My boyfriend usually has to get up at 6:30 to get to class on time.... That would be so-o much harder if he didn't have a week to adjust himself to DST.

Cricket18

Gnawing my hairless tail
Registered
Reaction score
Some viruses pass super fast -- they call them 24-hour bugs for a reason. Glad you're on the mend. Maybe strong enough to send queries? If you're already nauseated and miserable, why not?

WIN.

Soul-nah, it's just weirding me out because people keep saying, "You're still sick?" as if it's been weeks, not days.

I almost broke down and sent a query last night on my MG. I'm torn. I owe it to my characters, but I also think the ms could wait. Stoopid market.

Leigh.Lyons

Bored Fanatic
Registered
Reaction score
What PoP said. {{{Cricket}}} FWIW if you got sick on Friday (presumably Friday that just passed) then that's 'only' five days, right? that's still in the 'normal' range according to your doctor *dodges wadded up Kleenex that Cricket threw at my head*
*cowers with you* I was thinking the same thing....

kellion92

A cat may not look at a king
Registered
Reaction score
Cricket, I sent queries out too. Felt excited then ashamed of myself -- yep, it's an addiction.

Leigh.Lyons

Bored Fanatic
Registered
Reaction score
WIN.

Soul-nah, it's just weirding me out because people keep saying, "You're still sick?" as if it's been weeks, not days.

I almost broke down and sent a query last night on my MG. I'm torn. I owe it to my characters, but I also think the ms could wait. Stoopid market.
Well, the worst thing you could do is try to edit it now. I did that with a high fever (I spike them every time I get sick) and it was a disaster. I had to go back and undo everything I had edited. And mind you, I had "fixed" a lot.

Status
Not open for further replies.