• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Writer's Digest Annual Conference

anastasia091

Registered
Reaction score
Writer's Digest is holding a conference in New York this August, as a lot of you probably know. I am young writer, and very interested in it as it seems like a nice learning experience. The pitch slam is also intriguing. However, I'm a little skeptical about the cost ($400 including pitch slam?), and as a student that barely gets by I'd like to know from any of you that may have attended in the past - is this conference worth it?

I'm still a newbie to the agent/publishing thing so I can't tell for certain if the agents who will be there are any good, but I will do some research later on.

Thanks in advance :)

TerryRodgers

Registered
Reaction score
Most conferences a good. Some are better than others. They are a great place to network and meet agents. I haven't heard anything bad about WD's conference. Since it's in NYC, you tend to get more agents than other conferences. I know a lot of the agents that attend the conference are good agents. Most of them have attended ThrillerFest, which is also in NYC. Defnitely do your research on each agent and pay attention to what WD posts in reference to what the agents are currently looking for.

If you are short on money, have you checked with conferences in your local area?

Tromboli

Hopelessly Hopeful
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.staceytrombley.com
Conferences are great! But you don't need them to suceed so don't break your bank to go. I'm thinking of saving up to go again myself (they are very expensive) but we'll see.

If you have the money, it's worth it. If you don't, it's not. That's my opinion anyway.

Last edited:

anastasia091

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks so much for your responses guys! The reason I was uncertain is that I have just enough to afford the conference, but if it wasn't worth it I would spend it on something else that's more useful. But I think after seeing your replies and doing some more research on the agents, of which there's a significant amount that are interested in my genre (fantasy), I think I will give it a shot!

On that note, is there anyone else attending this event? If so, post here and let me know! :)

nikoisbusy

Catching words & writing them down.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
nikobommer.com
On that note, is there anyone else attending this event? If so, post here and let me know! :)

I've also decided to take the plunge and signed up for WDCE, including Pitch Slam. It'll be my first conference and my first time pitching. Very nervous, but also very excited!

zmethos

from words to worlds
Registered
Reaction score
Website
mpepperlanglinais.com
I attended this past August and found it to be very informative (though I do question *some* of what I was repeatedly told). Did not do the pitch slam, however, so cannot speak to that.