Request for Partial: Send by Attachment?

ScribeLady

Registered
Reaction score
An agent has requested a partial of 3 chapters but doesn't specify how she wants it sent - tallies up to about 10 pages, double spaced. Should I send as an attachment or in body of e-mail?

Thanks for any guidance.

Scribelady

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
Partials and fulls are usually done by attachment, but I'm curious as to whether or not the agent knows that your 3 chapters are only 10 pages. That's an awfully short partial. Most are closer to 30-50 pages.

bunderful

Registered
Reaction score
You know, I'm really confused about that too. I was assuming that 3 chapters meant 50 pages - but then an agent posted on Twitter yesterday that to her, 3 chapters = 10,000 words - which, depending on how you space it could be 20 pages or 40-50. I find this all very confusing.

Any agent want to chime in? Or does it depend on the agency?

And BTW I have sent ALL of my partials and fulls by e-mail. I think that is standard practice unless specified otherwise. Most agents say - attach as a .doc file or something like that. But if your agent didn't I would still send by e-mail.

ScribeLady

Registered
Reaction score
The agent's assistant who contacted me said that they might ask for additional pages, which probably explains the request for only 3 chapters.

Thanks for any and all commentary.

Scirbelady

kellion92

A cat may not look at a king
Registered
Reaction score
Definitely send at attachment if unspecified. And my beginning chapters are short too...

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
You know, I'm really confused about that too. I was assuming that 3 chapters meant 50 pages - but then an agent posted on Twitter yesterday that to her, 3 chapters = 10,000 words - which, depending on how you space it could be 20 pages or 40-50. I find this all very confusing.

Any agent want to chime in? Or does it depend on the agency?

And BTW I have sent ALL of my partials and fulls by e-mail. I think that is standard practice unless specified otherwise. Most agents say - attach as a .doc file or something like that. But if your agent didn't I would still send by e-mail.

I'd avoid that agent at all costs. Typically, a partial is three chapters or fifty pages, whichever is less, but ten pages is very, very short, so I think I'd go with the fifty pages.

But equating three chapters to ten thousand words tells me that agent doesn't read much, and certainly not widely.

ScribeLady

Registered
Reaction score
I'd avoid that agent at all costs. Typically, a partial is three chapters or fifty pages, whichever is less, but ten pages is very, very short, so I think I'd go with the fifty pages.

But equating three chapters to ten thousand words tells me that agent doesn't read much, and certainly not widely.

This is a major agency, incidentally.

Scribelady

PinkAmy

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
I usually include REQUESTED in the subject and add as an attachment unless directed otherwise.

agentpaper

One of many
Registered
Reaction score
OP: Did you let them know your 3 chapters are only about 10 pages? If not, I would suggest just sending them an email stating that your 3 chapters are only about 10 pages and would they prefer 50 pages instead of 3 chapters. Otherwise, I'd send via attachment as either .doc or .rtf. And like PinkAMy said, put REQUESTED materials in the subject line. Also, i would keep the email chain going and reply to their request, so they can see they DID request. :D

bunderful

Registered
Reaction score
Scribelady....I feel like my secret identity has been revealed!

Yes it was a major agency and I still maintain that I am confused. I wouldn't want to have someone reject me because I sent too many pages, so I would love to have clarification from an agent.

Unless there is no standard and every agent is different - in which case agents need to be way more specific about what they want....

scope

Commonsensical Maverick
Registered
Reaction score
An attachment is probably O.K., but if it were me I'd call, speak to the operator or whoever answers the phone, explain, and ask if attachment, pasted, or snail mail.