should i let interested agent know?

silver76

Living the Dream (Nightmare)
Registered
Reaction score
Ok so I have one agent I have been working with for about 6 weeks- agent 1-he just sent her revision of my whole manuscript. I have another agent- agent 2 who is interested in rep and is supposed to contact me today with her final decision.
Agent 1 was super interested at the beginning- and then took a month to read my manuscript.
Agent 2- read the manuscript in a day and told me to let her know if I have any other agents interested. I feel like I can confidently tell her that now- I was afraid agent 1 had forgotten about me- anyway- should I email and say I have another agent who is showing interest- or just wait to hear from agent 2...

PinkAmy

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
You don't have an offer, so I wouldn't tell her. You've got to be fair and honest to both agents. If you get an offer, tell whatever agent that you have some fulls out and you need a week to let them know and consider your offer.
Don't show your cards, just be honest. You don't yet have any offers and you don't know who knows who etc.
Your wish to tell the other agent seems more like showing her other people like your MS too, rather than the information the agent was asking for.

silver76

Registered
Reaction score
yes amy you are right

i guess i am trying to push her...

PinkAmy

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
See, to me, that's not a good reason to let her know. I know how hard waiting is.

popmuze

Last of a Dying Breed
Registered
Reaction score
I'm about to start another thread on this, but tell me again why it's so wrong to push agents, when they've been sitting on your full manuscript from four to eight months.

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Because yours isn't the only full on their desk and their first responsibility is to their signed clients.

suki

Opinionated
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm about to start another thread on this, but tell me again why it's so wrong to push agents, when they've been sitting on your full manuscript from four to eight months.

Ok, well, first, 7-8 months with no communication and I'd assume the agent is just not that into me/the book, unless there have been extraordinary issues - like health issues, an extraordinarily busy time because of a major client, etc. And then I'd expect some kind of communication. But that's me. 4 months though, well, unfortunately that's not a long time for a busy agent - clients come first, as you will be happy to find should you become a client.

As for nudging with nothing, though...

Some say nudging with anything short of an offer can't cause anything really, except a faster answer - ie, if the agent is inclined to pass, all a nudge can do is make them make that decision.

But here's my thing, I think it's a sign of weakness.

Nudging an agent with anything less than an offer of representation essentially advertises no one else is interested. And if they are on the fence, it can push them to say no, thinking that since no one else is interested, why should they be.

Having said that, OP, if the agent asked to be kept informed, you could email and just say, FYI since you asked to be kept informed...

But, in general, my take is nudging with nothing can seem like desperation, which never instills confidence.

~suki

kellion92

A cat may not look at a king
Registered
Reaction score
I agree with Suki. I'm willing to live with no response on requested materials. I don't think it's professional behavior from the agent, but then again, i don't want an unprofessional agent.

I suggest updating agents when you have a hard offer, not a requests, phone calls or possible offer.

ink wench

ray of motherf#%&ing sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
Mostly, I agree with Suki and Kellion. I'm okay with a nudge at 3 months (things do get lost in email - it happened to me), but if you don't hear back or it goes on longer, I'd write if off as a no.

scope

Commonsensical Maverick
Registered
Reaction score
I agree with Suki. I'm willing to live with no response on requested materials. I don't think it's professional behavior from the agent, but then again, i don't want an unprofessional agent.

I suggest updating agents when you have a hard offer, not a requests, phone calls or possible offer.

I completely agree. The entire system as we know it is simply ridiculous and is in need of a majot overhaul. Will that ever happen? In time, but I think it's way off. Meanwhile we have to deal with this nonsense.

popmuze

Last of a Dying Breed
Registered
Reaction score
Mostly, If you don't hear back or it goes on longer, I'd write if off as a no.

So that means nine agents in a row (okay, nine out of eleven), after requesting my manuscript with great excitement, all decided not to respond rather than send a simple form? Sounds to me more like a conspiracy.

silver76

Registered
Reaction score
usually too quick is either good or bad...i've never had an agent who was interested who took longer than a month...

PinkAmy

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score

I've heard to wait until a week after 6 months to nudge. An agent with a great reputation for getting publishing deals but a reputation for being slow has had my full for 4 months. I will nudge him if I haven't heard in another two and a half months.

In my opinion, I think if an agent has your partial or full, you should nudge after 3 months for partial and 6 for full. You never know if it got lost in email, accidentally deleted or whatever. I expect the courtesy of a response from partials and fulls.

What's wrong is pushing too soon or in the wrong way (calling the agent etc.) because it shows a lack of respect for the agent's time constraints and a lack of understanding of the industry.

ink wench

ray of motherf#%&ing sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
So that means nine agents in a row (okay, nine out of eleven), after requesting my manuscript with great excitement, all decided not to respond rather than send a simple form? Sounds to me more like a conspiracy.
I would love to be able to read agents' minds. Alas....

There are agents out there who will sit on things until the author gets an offer of rep, and only then read the MS. It sucks. I hope you hear something good soon.