White lies in historical fiction?

Raula

Registered
Reaction score
My means of dealing with racism during the period is to have an entirely white cast :-/ My University tutor would not be pleased! I do touch on the issue in conversations between characters, such as when Bess' fiancé speaks of journeying to the Americas and then later when my hero is appointed Lord Deputy of Ireland. It will become a much larger theme in the next novel when the story moves over to Ireland, and I will need to remember then that Bess will have the 'superiority complex' of any English gentry member against the Gaelic.

I think you would need to read my story Pdr to decide whether it portrayed legitimate 'history'. I think it does comlpared to many historical romances I have read, however I will always consider the 'historical' and 'romance' in equal measures. I will not sacrifice one for the other, and believe that the most powerful of these is the romance, as that is what tugs at heart strings. Katherine by Anya Seton was a huge inspiration for this novel. Seton took liberties with the historical facts but nobody who reads it could deny the richness and beauty of the history in there.

pdr

Banned
Reaction score
Ay, lass...

I don't doubt your historical integrity. It's just that if it is a romance then it should be called that.

There's just such a muddle at the moment about Historical novels.