• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

[Agency] Writers House

Nakhlasmoke

yes
Registered
Reaction score
Website
cathellisen.com
Ah, it's also probably that I queried back when S Barbara was still there, After a no response from him, I requeried another agent, and it was fine. But it's very likely that things have changed since then. :D

ChrryBlssmGrrl

Paranormal Princess
Registered
Reaction score
Not for Writers House, or, if memory serves, Maass.

So yeah, you can now query another agent. You can't do *SIM* subs, but that's a different story.

Thanks - that's what I thought :)

Emailed Dan with a query and got his auto-reply:
I'm currently out of the office, returning Monday Aug 31. I'll be checking messages periodically but for faster help, contact my assistant Stephen Barr, [email protected]

So for anyone else thinking of querying looks like he's back in the office as of today but I would guess he'll prob have a bit of a backlog of stuff if he's been on vacation. Good to have his assistant's contact details as well for anyone out there thinking of nudging for a status update...

[UPDATE

Got a reply from Stephen Barr today with form R. It was pretty quick though and very polite so can't fault them on that!

Last edited:

jsouders

Registered
Reaction score
Well got my big R from Maya Rock. I guess it's time to look at my query letter and find out what's wrong with it.

SJWangsness

An unknown known
Registered
Reaction score
Dan Lazar

In praise of Daniel Lazar: e-queried 9/6, rejected 9/9 -- and he was on vacation part of that time. Not crazy about the R for rejection -- who is -- but can't complain about the R for responsiveness.

Again I ask -- if he can do it, why can't the others?

Smish

Reads more than she writes.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
In praise of Daniel Lazar: e-queried 9/6, rejected 9/9 -- and he was on vacation part of that time. Not crazy about the R for rejection -- who is -- but can't complain about the R for responsiveness.

Again I ask -- if he can do it, why can't the others?

He has an assistant. :)

But yes, he rocks. I've never heard anything but good things about him.

Space Author

Commissions for domestic sales? (Writers House literary agency)

Hello,
I was in the sfwa.org/for-authors/writer-beware/agents site and I came here because I wanted to make a question about agents.
I went to the site of Writers House to see their commissions for domestic sales and for foreign sales but they don't have anything posted.
Can somebody tell me here?
Is this literary agent good?

Thanks for your time

:)

dpaterso

Also in our Discord and IRC chat channels
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
derekpaterson.net
Renamed thread to reflect agency title... moving to Bewares and Background Check forum, where you might get more answers.

...And there's already a thread on this agency, check out: <snipped>

Although it was started in 2005 (the thread, not the agency!) it's still active!

-Derek

Last edited by a moderator:

Space Author

thanks so much, Derek.
I will read the link.
I hope I can find the commission thing.
Till the moment I have read it that they only accept "exclusive basis" and send the authors to sit without the opportunity to send the same letter/manuscript to other Literary agents :(

Let see...

Last edited:

Dawnny Baby

Getting back up again
Registered
Reaction score
Has anyone heard back from their partials from Josh G? I'm in the same boat as the others were back in at least May. Josh requested my partial in March. It was a really nice email and said "6 weeks (hopefully)" and it's now been 5 months. I've nudged him a few times in the past. I don't know at what point I should take it as an R and query someone else at WH. It's so disappointing because he seemed so awesome!

I e-queried Josh two days ago and he almost immediately responded with a request for a partial. (I was so excited!) He said he'd read it "as quickly as possible." I sent it right away (via an e-mail reply attachment), with a question as to whether I'd sent the correct format. He responded again, right away, that the format I'd used (Word) was fine (he uses a Kindle), so I do know that he received my stuff. But now, based on your post, I'm wondering what "as quickly as possible" means...? But yeah, he did seem really nice.

adlanda

Registered
Reaction score
Request for full from Dan Lazar

Wow, what a lengthy and informative thread!

I sent my query to Dan on Sept. 7 and heard back the next day from his assistant, Stephen Barr, with a request for a full manuscript. Then on Friday I got a very sweet note from Stephen complimenting my work and saying he has really enjoyed the first 50 pages and looks forward to continuing to read it.

Of course I'm on pins and needles. I've read only great things about Dan Lazar and would be honored to be represented by him. Have any of you gotten encouraging emails along the way, and if so, did you wind up getting repped or rejected?

Thanks!

Erin

Listening to my other selves
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.erinrichards.com
Of course I'm on pins and needles. I've read only great things about Dan Lazar and would be honored to be represented by him. Have any of you gotten encouraging emails along the way, and if so, did you wind up getting repped or rejected?

Thanks!

Congrats! He seems like a great and approachable guy. He requested my full, but ultimately rejected it with some nice comments about my writing. At the time, I had recently gotten feedback from another agent and made revisions on the MS, so I emailed Dan back, telling him about the changes, and asked if he would have any interest in seeing the revised version. He immediately wrote back, declining, but agreeing with the changes. All in all, despite the R, it was pleasant dealing with him.

emandem

Registered
Reaction score
Received a note from Lindsay Davis--She is moving to UK (getting married?) and apparently will not be with Writers House anymore. She wasn't very clear as to her intentions regarding future professional plans, but it is a shame as I have found her to be very kind and professional. Good luck to her--!

Lamp Here

Registered
Reaction score
Space Author:

Writer's House is a reputable agency. More than reputable, actually, the type of agency we writers drool over.

adlanda

Registered
Reaction score
Hi again all:

I got a pretty amazing email from Writers House last night. Wonderful praise for the writing as well as concern that the work is too sprawling. There have been no decisions made yet as the memoir is not yet entirely read.

I wrote back with thanks and also the assurance that I am a professional editor and am MORE than willing to do what it takes to make this an accessible, focused, and commercially viable work.

This is an EMOTIONAL process! Thanks for your support.

- A.

Lovebug

Registered
Reaction score
I wanted to query Lindsay. Will she still be an agent?

TinneyH

Registered
Reaction score
Have any of you gotten encouraging emails along the way, and if so, did you wind up getting repped or rejected?

Thanks!

Hi again all:

I got a pretty amazing email from Writers House last night. Wonderful praise for the writing as well as concern that the work is too sprawling. There have been no decisions made yet as the memoir is not yet entirely read.

I wrote back with thanks and also the assurance that I am a professional editor and am MORE than willing to do what it takes to make this an accessible, focused, and commercially viable work.

This is an EMOTIONAL process! Thanks for your support.

- A.

While Dan was reading my full, a while ago, I got an email saying nice things about the writing and asking if anyone else was reading it, but he ultimately rejected it. It sounds like you're getting really close. Good luck! I would love to have had him represent me - he's a sweetheart.

budgie_brain

Registered
Reaction score
Jodi Reamer

I was wondering for those who got a partial request from Jodi Reamer and submitted it via email to her assistant--does he confirm that he received it? I didn't write "Requested Material" in the subject (I keep forgetting to do that--doh!), and I wonder if it landed in his spam folder. Thanks for any thoughts. :)

I sent mine sometime last November via snail mail with the SASE. Still haven't heard anything. I think it varies. Sometimes, even with the SASE, there is no response if the agent isn't interested.
Hi Mel A--did you ever get a reply? I sent my snail query to Jodi last December, and by May, I hadn't gotten a response and wondered if my query got lost. I took Tuuli's advice and followed up with a letter to JR and included my original query. A couple months later, I got a request for a partial, so maybe yours got lost, too?

Tuuli, I'm sorry about your news, :Hug2: but I agree that it's already great that she expressed interest. Thanks for your advice, too. :)

Vandal

In the Center of things
Registered
Reaction score
I was wondering for those who got a partial request from Jodi Reamer and submitted it via email to her assistant--does he confirm that he received it? I didn't write "Requested Material" in the subject (I keep forgetting to do that--doh!), and I wonder if it landed in his spam folder. Thanks for any thoughts. :)

I got a confirmation from her assistant after I send a partial back in April and again yesterday when I sent him the full. I doubt not putting "Requested Material" in the subject sends it to the spam folder, especially if it is a reply to one of his messages.

You should send the assistant a follow-up to confirm.

Swamproot

Registered
Reaction score
Confirmation

I got a confirmation from her assistant after I send a partial back in April and again yesterday when I sent him the full. I doubt not putting "Requested Material" in the subject sends it to the spam folder, especially if it is a reply to one of his messages.

You should send the assistant a follow-up to confirm.

I too received a confirmation when I sent in my partial back in April and another when I sent in my full back on July 31. I didn't put "requested material" in the subject line. I'm still waiting to hear about my full (checking my e-mail several times a day in other words).

budgie_brain

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks so much for your thoughts, Vandal and Swamproot! :Hug2: I decided to take your advice, Vandal. :D I hope I'll hear back from JR's assistant soon.

And good luck to you both with your fulls! I hope you both get good news soon. :) LOL, I completely understand about checking your inbox often, Swamproot. :-D

Mel A.

settling in with my red pen . . .
Registered
Reaction score

Hi Mel A--did you ever get a reply? I sent my snail query to Jodi last December, and by May, I hadn't gotten a response and wondered if my query got lost. I took Tuuli's advice and followed up with a letter to JR and included my original query. A couple months later, I got a request for a partial, so maybe yours got lost, too?

Tuuli, I'm sorry about your news, :Hug2: but I agree that it's already great that she expressed interest. Thanks for your advice, too. :)
Hi, budgie brain -
Thanks for updating re: your successful follow-up on your query. I never did hear back from WH, but I didn't pursue it further, as I recently signed with another agency. Best of luck to you on your partial!

revolocard

Registered
Reaction score
I e-queried Josh two days ago and he almost immediately responded with a request for a partial. (I was so excited!) He said he'd read it "as quickly as possible." I sent it right away (via an e-mail reply attachment), with a question as to whether I'd sent the correct format. He responded again, right away, that the format I'd used (Word) was fine (he uses a Kindle), so I do know that he received my stuff. But now, based on your post, I'm wondering what "as quickly as possible" means...? But yeah, he did seem really nice.

Well, hopefully you'll hear. Unfortunately, I've been seeing from a whole lot of people that Josh seems to do this a lot--lots of positive vibes in the partial request, saying he'll get back soon, then never responding despite status nudges. In fact, last time I checked at querytracker, nobody has heard back from him on a partial request (positive or negative) yet this whole year. Don't know what's going on there, but I hope your experience is different!

adlanda

Registered
Reaction score
TinneyH, that is exactly what happened to me. I have to give HUGE props to his assistant, Stephen Barr, however. He may have rejected my work, but he has given so much time and effort to my manuscript that I am really impressed. He's even offered to talk with me on the phone about it, and of course I've accepted! Good people to get to know.

budgie_brain

Registered
Reaction score
Hi, budgie brain -
Thanks for updating re: your successful follow-up on your query. I never did hear back from WH, but I didn't pursue it further, as I recently signed with another agency. Best of luck to you on your partial!
Thanks, Mel A! And congratulations to you on getting an agent! :D