Snooki's writing a novel

Status
Not open for further replies.

HelloKiddo

bemused observer
Registered
Reaction score
... showin' my lack of swiftness, right now. Not sure what you're saying here. My fault. To avoid any confusion about my use of "less fortunate" that is by no means my own view of her. She's fine.

I wasn't sure what you were saying, TBH. My post was really more of a question, hence the :Huh: at the end. How do you figure she is "less fortunate" in the opinion of the writers here? Less fortunate in terms of intelligence/talent I supposed is what you were getting at, but is it really reasonable to view everybody whose behavior you dislike as "less fortunate" because they're not as bright and gifted as you? That does seem rather arrogant.

jana13k

Yep. I can.
Registered
Reaction score
I guess I just figure that if what people do and why they do it doesn't fascinate you, then maybe your writing will reflect very one-dimensional or a very narrow grouping of characters. It takes all kinds.

I didn't say anyone had to watch the show. Last time I checked, this is a free country, which means that Snooki has just as much right to make money off a ghostwriter as James Patterson does. Shall we discuss the morality of HIS business decisions?

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
which means that Snooki has just as much right to make money off a ghostwriter as James Patterson does. Shall we discuss the morality of HIS business decisions?
That's been done already. I think there was a similar amount of outrage.

jana13k

Yep. I can.
Registered
Reaction score
Well, at least she's not running around calling herself an author.

Wayne K

Banned
Reaction score
I beg to differ. She'll be drunker than ol James, but she will

Jersey Chick

Up all night to get Loki
Registered
Reaction score
in the state of carefully controlled chaos
Website
www.kimberlynee.com
I see nothing fascinating about someone who gets crocked and knocked on her ass - I find her kind of pathetic and not really worth my time. If I want that, like Wayne, I just have to go to a family gathering. But I'm not suggesting anyone who doesn't watch it might have their writing suffer from it, either. To me, that show is pretty one-dimensional, since (from what I've seen) they do little more than perpetuate stereotypes.

Last edited:

jana13k

Yep. I can.
Registered
Reaction score
I could go to a family gathering and see most anything myself - much better than a Jerry Springer episode, which IMHO shows no creativity whatsoever. :)

I guess I just don't understand spending the energy caring what other people think. There are plenty of people in this world paid tons of money to produce crap. Professional athletes get their salary whether they produce on the court/field/track/etc. Actors are paid whether or not the movie tanks. Hell, some bankers are paid HUGE bonuses for letting their banks fail and taxpayers footed the bill. If we really want to get angry over something, I'd say the last one I mentioned tops the list.

A fad that will be here for a couple of years then disappear is of no concern to me other than it's an interesting train wreck and I don't actually have to expose myself to my family in order to see it. In fact, in an odd bit of timing, my family's reunion is this weekend. I will NOT be attending. :)

Wayne K

Banned
Reaction score
I'm just bored and Snooks got a publishing deal. She's a victim of circumstance

jana13k

Yep. I can.
Registered
Reaction score
Izz - "expose" is actually a very good word as I'm never quite sure what I could catch. LOL

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
Now i've got this imagery stuck in my head of forty people wandering around a gazebo, clad in nothing but long brown overcoats that they rip open every so often in front of other similarly coated people. Grinning widely all the while, of course.

Wayne K

Banned
Reaction score
Now i've got this imagery stuck in my head of forty people wandering around a gazebo, clad in nothing but long brown overcoats that they rip open every so often in front of other similarly coated people. Grinning widely all the while, of course.

Now I'm definitly going

jana13k

Yep. I can.
Registered
Reaction score
Not quite - think more along the camoflauge lines and hip waders and you'd be closer. And no gazebo - the last reunion was in the cemetery and no, I am not joking. I'm from southern Louisiana. I do have a cousin that specialized in mooning and streaking when he was in college. Since he easily weighs over 400 lbs, I'm sorta glad I was one of the last grandkids born. Not around to see that.

Ken

Banned
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
I wasn't sure what you were saying, TBH. My post was really more of a question, hence the :Huh: at the end. How do you figure she is "less fortunate" in the opinion of the writers here? Less fortunate in terms of intelligence/talent I supposed is what you were getting at, but is it really reasonable to view everybody whose behavior you dislike as "less fortunate" because they're not as bright and gifted as you? That does seem rather arrogant.

... you have completely miscomprehended my last two posts. Seriously. I didn't say or suggest any such thing. I used the term "less fortunate" in referring to the attitude some here have expressed regarding her intelligence and appearance. That is certainly not my own attitude! Go back and read my posts again. And as to my laying any claim to being "bright and gifted" I almost have to laugh at that seeing as what I said in regards to myself:

I don't have an ounce of talent and ain't too swift in the IQ department either.

I said others here were "bright and gifted." In short, everything I attributed to others you took me as attributing to myself. Maybe the fault lies with me and my failure to express myself clearly enough? Will work on that if so.

Always available by PM, which would probably be a better route to take if any further discussion on the matter seems warranted.

Last edited:

Christine N.

haz a shiny new book cover
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.christine-norris.com
I think it's ridiculous that this shit sells. And that they slap a 'celebrity' name on a book and it sells. That's ridiculous.

BUT

It is not an insult to hard writers and it is not ridiculous that it happens. It's called free enterprise. As long as the market is there, they'd be crazy not to take advantage of it. It's about making money. People, for some unknown reason, want to read something with this skank's name on it. So...they throw something together, get it out there and sell it. They take the money, honey. There is nothing ridiculous about collecting money from a fickle, tasteless, unintelligent consumer. Nothing at all. The only thing ridiculous is that people buy these books. It's the public's fault...not the Jersey trash chick's fault.

The publishing world SHOULD do this. They need the money, and people are stupid enough to give it to them for books like this.

Dude, I was just ranting. It's one of those things you just feel you HAVE to say to get it out. I understand all the other stuff behind it, but once in awhile you just gotta scream like a two year old to feel better.

So I did. (but I am insulted just a bit. It burns me to no end, but I can't blame the publisher. I blame the people who put the money out, which only perpetuates the cycle.)

Status
Not open for further replies.